Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Knock, Please: Default Replacement Wood Textures

by JaneSamborski Posted 24th Jul 2009 at 4:23 AM - Updated 24th Jul 2009 at 4:35 AM by JaneSamborski

45 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 35 Feedback Posts, 9 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:29 AM
Amazing work! Thank you so much! I totally disliked a lot of their wood grains, thought they looked way to grainy - I like my grains nice and subtle. Can't wait to try these out!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:33 AM
These are much more useable than EA's, thanks for these.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:06 AM
Wow, I really like how these look. Thank you for thinking of this and doing it.
Instructor
#5 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:07 AM
Thanky you so much. You are absolutely right. EA's woods are mostly horrible.

Nutty Sims Mommy.
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:29 AM
"EA's wood textures are ugly. These are less ugly."

I laughed my ass off at this. You'd think designers would be better at... well DESIGNING these things wouldn't you? *sigh*

Thank you very much for making me game more pretty :-)
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:42 AM
Gratz on the first default replacement patterns (afaik)
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 6:32 AM Last edited by Vashi : 19th Sep 2012 at 1:05 AM.
I love you.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 7:46 AM
Oh, thank you! The EA wood is horribly ugly. (It seems unlikely that they could make it that ugly by accident, but why would they make it horrible on purpose?) Anyway, thanks for fixing it!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 8:06 AM Last edited by katana : 25th Jul 2009 at 7:04 AM.
*gasp*

I think I love you.

I would never have even thought of doing this, which is odd considering how much I *hated* the original wood textures! The base game woods were, on average, quite terrible. I found myself reusing a couple of them over and over simply because they were the only ones that were even slightly acceptable looking. These are much more subtle, natural and realistic looking.

Thank you so, so much!

ETA: These deserve a great big ol' feature. Just sayin'.
Test Subject
#12 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:44 AM
Amazing work! Thank you so much !
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:28 AM
Oh,this is a big step forward.Was disgusted by Maxis wood textures.In fact didn't play at all because of the ugly default objects and textures.You have fixed part of the problem.Your new textures are so cool.THANK YOU so much for sharing this precious work with us.Hugs.
Instructor
#14 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:53 AM
I'm glad to see you feel exactly the same about EA's wood textures as I do, and have gone the step further to actually fix them. <3 <3
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 1:39 PM
So so much better than the originals.I've been wondering what the heck EA was thinking when they made those.
Test Subject
#16 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:24 PM
Thank you!! I didn't even realize I hated the wood textures, but I noticed that I love using wood, but I never would use the wood in sims 3. >_>
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CarlosFilipePedro
Very nice indeed. One thing that I've always had a problem with is, when you build stairs, you can never get matching railings from EA. Could you come up with something to solve this problem ? (maybe a future project ?) Cheers

My railings match the stairs..... I think they do at least. Its just irritating to not have the stairs match the darned floor. Sadly, making anything re-colorable that is not already is vastly beyond my abilities.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:49 PM
Good idea! Really useful. Only in eighth picture I like EA texture more - the rest is perfect!
Instructor
#19 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 6:11 PM
Thank-you . you really increased the visual appeal of my game!
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 6:14 PM
These are a VAST improvement over the maxis textures! Yay for no more ugly grainy wood
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Megan116
Good idea! Really useful. Only in eighth picture I like EA texture more - the rest is perfect!

I'll admit it the 8th is a little funny. In my defense that was the first one I did and I was still figuring out the whole HSV thing. It looks much better in orangey hues.

The funny thing about HSV textures is they can pick up colors from other parts of the color wheel (a certain percentage of the way toward true red, green, or blue), and that particular texture picks up colors that are further away. However, when you are very close to a pure red, green, or blue, (as the default color for that texture is) you get much less variation. At least I think thats how it's working, this is just what I've gathered through experimentation.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 7:32 PM
Hey, nice work. I often found myself unwilling to use wood textures in my more expensive houses because the textures looked rather "poor" (in money terms, not in quality terms) for lack of a better word.... Will be using these for sure.
Test Subject
#23 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:52 PM
thankyou so much! yes... ea's textures are... horrid
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:45 PM
This is perfect. Thank you so much!! I hated those wood textures. I rarely used any of them

Live each day like it's your last!

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 2:38 AM
SOOOO MUCH better! Thanks :-D
Page 1 of 2