Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 8:00 PM Last edited by whitefolks : 9th Feb 2005 at 2:35 AM.
Default Pushing the limits - The Facility Lot
Using a combination of various tools, this "The Facility" lot is completely hack free but pushes the limits on what can be designed using all the tricks of the trade.

Edit: Creating 10 Floors The Facility Illusion Tutorial

[

Feature notes:
1. 10 floors using techniques from http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sto...&user_id=136631 combined with the "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false" to level various floors to create a staggered but unified 10 floor building.
2. stealth stairs all contained within a 3x2 wall structure that services all 10 floors. Edit: the stealth stairs tutorial (3 Parts so far) are on my Simpage
3. 45 degree objects using wintermuteai1 http://www.modthesims2.com/forum_viewtopic.php?22.13339 during live mode to rotate right/left objects, then deleting the hack and killing the sim to retain the lot objects.
4. transparent floor tile set from RGiles : http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=34012
5. community lot objects by using SimPE to convert the residential lot to a community lot, placing the retail items then converting it back.
6. using the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true to place reward items

The rules here forebade me to post a link to my SimPage for downloading, however here is a link to a post on thesims2.ea.com that talks about the same (without all the technicalities). http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/communit...D=22&startRow=1

I will be creating a Simpage tutorial on how to create a 2x3 and 1x3 enclosed staircase; disregarding the height of the floors.

Please post any questions that you may have either here or at thesims2.ea.

Ralphael
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 8:10 PM
Fantastic, especially your use of the transparent tiles.
Test Subject
#3 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 8:13 PM
Looks amazing. Great job!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 8:31 PM
this is absolutely amazing! i have you bookmarked on my SimPage anyway. will be downloading!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 10:17 PM
Wow Ralphael, it almost reminds me of some of the buildings in SC4! Maybe with the new EP coming out, we'll be able to actually duplicate some of those great designs. Then again, if we could start building more floors with the new EP, Maxis would have to sell it with a new 'puter to be able to play the game!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jan 2005 at 11:03 PM
Much appreciated for the wows!

When I was first designing this, I had attempted to enclose everything, which defeated the purpose of the transparent tiles.

This design took over a week of agonizing trial and error wall, floor layout and finally out of frustration I simply sat down to work on the functional layout cafeteria, retail shops, communal bathrooms etc. and the form came together by itself.... so if you are ever stump for a design, the old cliche of form from function is absolutely true!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 1:55 AM
You would'nt happen to have a nice pic of the building during the day would you?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 5:03 AM
Thanks! I hope that RGiles will be able to find a way to make the glass floors allow light through better, it would really help to show the true beauty of this lot. I've got to admit though Ralphael, If this were a real building, I'd probably be a little hesitant to try that jacuzzi on the ledge! lol :p
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 5:12 AM
buckyball plexisteel platform.... very safe! :-P
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 5:39 AM
Above you mentioned 45 degree objects but I looked at the link you provided and didn't see anything in there that mentioned a hack for 45 degree objects. Did I miss something?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Hunter240x
Above you mentioned 45 degree objects but I looked at the link you provided and didn't see anything in there that mentioned a hack for 45 degree objects. Did I miss something?

3. 45 degree objects using wintermuteai1 http://www.modthesims2.com/forum_viewtopic.php?22.13339 during live mode to rotate right/left objects, then deleting the hack and killing the sim to retain the lot objects.

If you look closely at the first picture you will see the clothing racks, video display racks are rotated 45 degrees. Originally I had rotated the big screen TV at 45 degree, however the sim would wander behind the sofa to watch it, so I opt for a straight TV instead. Also in the games floor, the putting reward object is rotated 45 degrees to fit alongside the railings.

Ralphael
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 8:03 AM
This is the best sims 2 home design I have seen, Wow.
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 11:15 AM
WOW. I got dizzy for a minute. (afraid of heights). that building is awesome. I cant' wait to try it out in my game.
Great job..

Want playable, hack free sim homes? Come check out my site!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hunter240x

Sorry I misread your message. The option to rotate is one of the menu items on the bamboo tree. By placing items beside it, in live mode, then selecting the bamboo tree, the option should show up as rotate right/rotate left followed by a list of nearby objects that you wish to apply the rotation to.

The only problem with this hack is that it must be used in live mode, which means that after placing all your 45 degree objects, your sim has to be killed in order to retain all the objects in the house (unless you want to package your house with a sim).

I am not sure why Winter wants to keep this part of the hack so low key, but imho, it is probably the best part of that hack for builders.

Ralphael
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 10:01 PM
sounds good except for killing the sim. I wonder why it wouldn't work in build mode.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 3:52 PM
It wont work because you have to select the Bamboo Tree to select a menu item.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 4:05 PM
Whoa simply amazing,lots of hardwork
Field Researcher
#18 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 10:48 PM
This is absolutely amazing, a fantastic display of the posibilitys of what can be done. Thanks for this!
Test Subject
#19 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 5:51 AM
Amazing lot, but I'd hate to be they guy/gal who cleans all that glass. That'd get tricky, being sortof a floor and all.

The charm of history and its enigmatic lesson consist in the fact that, from age to age, nothing changes and yet everything is completely different.
Scholar
#20 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 5:59 AM
wow so nice reminds me of a supper pricey hotel or private apartment complex or something lol
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 1:54 PM
great building ralphaelninja , downloaded!

ummm i guess i just didnt realize my name was going to be attached to rgiles floor tile forever because of that greenhouse .

Do you know of a way i can fix that problem ralphael? i am feeling kind of guilty about that , if i take down the greenhouse will it still have my name on that file? Does anyone know or know how i can get that changed ? :bag:
Test Subject
#22 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 2:04 PM
That lots looks fantastic...
I've checked out your tutorial on the sims2exchange and it's really good... Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jobtwo
great building ralphaelninja , downloaded!

ummm i guess i just didnt realize my name was going to be attached to rgiles floor tile forever because of that greenhouse .

Do you know of a way i can fix that problem ralphael? i am feeling kind of guilty about that , if i take down the greenhouse will it still have my name on that file? Does anyone know or know how i can get that changed ? :bag:

I think you will be stuck with the guilt forever (the credit attaches itself to the first uploader).

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 5:20 PM
WOW! absolutely amazing.
I dont think my computer can handle it though,....

Excellent job anyway!
Test Subject
#25 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 5:41 PM
Simply Amazing :clap: :clap:
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2