Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Moo's Mews (8 modern base-game no-cc venues)

by Mootilda Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 1:30 PM - Updated 17th Mar 2013 at 9:57 PM by Mootilda : Add related downloads

50 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 34 Feedback Posts, 15 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:34 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 4:58 PM.
Default Arcade
"Bang! Pow! Zap! Kaplooie!"

A place to play pinball, darts and chess. Or, just come to meet friends and make new ones.

Lot Size: 1x1
Lot Price: $27,827
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:39 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 4:59 PM.
Default Cinema
"Two screens double your pleasure."

If you can't afford a big-screen TV, or can't stand another night alone in front of the tube, this is a great place to catch the latest movie. Bring a date, or meet someone here.

Lot Price: $53,110
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:43 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 4:59 PM.
Default Coffee
"Add some zing to your day."

Come to sip coffee, relax in front of the fireplace, and talk. Because this is a base-game lot, you will have to make your own coffee and extra for your friends. Basically a community center, rather than a business.

Lot Price: $61,159
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:46 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 8:35 PM.
Default Gym
"Pump it up."

Everything that you need to get in shape. Afterward, join friends in the hot tub to relax, or freshen up in the shower.

Lot Price: $48,452
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:49 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 5:00 PM.
Default MiniMart
"Your one-stop shopping experience."

If it can be purchased in the base-game, then you'll find it here: groceries, clothing, magazines, and games.

Since everything is sold in one store, this will generate only one NPC to staff the cash register. If you want to minimize the number of townies that the game generates, this is the lot for you.

Lot Price: $58,084
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:53 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 5:01 PM.
Default Pizza
"Have one with everything."

If you're out and about and find that you're hungry, this is the place to come. The pizza is always fresh and free.

Lot Price: $51,354
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 12:58 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 5:01 PM.
Default Pool
"Make a splash!"

Want a nice cool swim, but you don't have a pool? This is the ideal place to bring the family.

Lot Price: $23,100
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 1:01 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2010 at 5:02 PM.
Default Spa
"Relax. Breathe. Enjoy."

This is the place to come to unwind in a hot tub and meet people in a relaxed environment.

Lot Price: $42,199
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 1:02 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 18th Jan 2010 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Share policy
Default Template
Want to make a lot of your own to match these? Here's a completely unfinished lot for you to finish as you will.

Sharing policy for this lot: Please share freely, however you want.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MoosMewsTemplate.zip (670.3 KB, 165 downloads)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 1:04 AM
Default How did you make the gym roof?
I've included snapshots of the TS2GridAdjuster parameters used to create the gym lot. Unfortunately, when a roof is curved, the walls will sometimes "cut through" the roof, destroying the smoothness of the curve. This can be solved by adding a second roof level and floating it just slightly above the original roof level.

To create the roof, I entered all of the parameters in clicks (screenshot #1). Since I wanted to use more precision for the "Add per level" value, I then unchecked the "Clicks" checkbox, which converted everything to floating point values, and entered the precise floating point value to make the upper roof float slightly above the curved walls (screenshot #2). Then I clicked "Finish" to complete the adjustment.
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 1:11 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 18th Jan 2010 at 3:04 AM.
Default How did you make the pool roof?
To create the unique pool roof, I started at the front of the lot and placed a curve from left to right. One row back from the front, I placed the same curve shifted over one tile. Two rows back from the front, I placed the same curve shifted over two tiles. And so on. Finally, I added a slope to the entire roof, to make the back higher than the front. The final step must be "Relative to current elevation", so that it does not overwrite the curves that we've already generated.

I've included screenshots of the beginning and ending runs through the TS2GridAdjuster; you can extrapolate the missing screenshots. Note that this roof uses the same "floating roof" trick as the gym.
Screenshots
Theorist
#13 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 2:14 PM
These look great, Mootilda. I love how they connect and look in the neighborhood--nicely done.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 3:22 PM
Nice lots! Did you also tested if these work when the sims visit with their own car? Because when I tried an 1x1 community lot some time ago my sims car drove too far and they couldn't reach it anymore when I wanted them to leave... It worked fine with taxis, though.

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Site Helper
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 4:17 PM
No, I forgot to check with owned cars. I'll try that and see whether I can reproduce your problem. I *did* check the portal locations on the lot and they looked correct, but they may need some tweaking. Thanks for letting me know.

Which 1x1 community lot did you have problems with? I know of two sets and I can probably help the creator fix them.

andy8104 and MaryLou made the original set:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=195467

then I helped aelflaed to rotate them so that the sun appears at the front of the lot:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=251800

Either way, it would be nice to have all of the lots working perfectly.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 5:18 PM Last edited by psychosim0 : 21st Jan 2010 at 6:36 PM.
I'm pretty sure it was a MaryLou lot back then (I shrink by myself novadays).

EDIT: I checked the pizza diner and it does have this problem indeed.
Screenshots

Site Helper
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 21st Jan 2010 at 6:36 PM.
I just tested all of the lots using all EPs up through Mansions and Gardens and had no problems. Which EPs are you using? I see that you have custom roads; have you tried without CC? Have you tried using Inge Jones' Portal Revealer to see where the vehicle portals are?
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=251392
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 6:52 PM Last edited by psychosim0 : 21st Jan 2010 at 7:05 PM.
My game is Uni + NL. I have tested in a game with no CC (apart Inges portal revealer) with the same result. The portals are where they should be I guess. Like I said, taxis work ok in my game. They drive one or two tiles less far than owned cars so sims can exit normally (instead of just "jumping" out of the car), and when leaving the taxi appears where the car on your pic is.

I found that there's a workaround: If one has the buy/build mode enalber one can move the car with "moveobjects on" and the sim can leave with it.
Screenshots

Site Helper
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 6:54 PM
OK, let me test with Uni and NL (no CC except the Portal Revealer) and see what happens.

What is the terrain like near your lot? Is it basically flat, or hilly up or down?

Do you have other Moo's Mews lots next to the Pizza, or is it standing alone?
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 7:11 PM
ah, I should refresh the page before I submit an edit.
The terrain is all flat around (in the middle of pleasantview), the lot is stand alone, the only lot in this testhood besides an empty residential (maxis 2x1 which is next to it, but I don't think that has any influence).
EDIT: Moved the pizza lot to a real stand-alone place, no difference.

I found that there's a workaround: If one has the buy/build mode enalber one can move the car with "moveobjects on" and the sim can leave with it.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 7:22 PM
Posting at the same time is inevitable, even if you refresh frequently.

I'm glad that you've found a workaround of sorts; I'd still like to try to reproduce this problem and see whether I can figure out what's happening.

Since the car is obviously stopping too close to the edge of the lot, try moving the car stop portal closer to the car start portal, to see whether it helps. Your car's location is very odd, given the location of the car portals, and given that the taxi works just fine.
Scholar
#22 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 7:32 PM
Wow, these look amazing! I love the pool roof!
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 8:15 PM
I played around with the portals with no effect at all, the car always stops at the same place. Though I noticed a difference that's probably related to this somehow: All buyable cars have a footprint (when grabbed) of only one tile at the back left, whereas the taxi has a full 3x6 footprint.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#24 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 10:09 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 21st Jan 2010 at 11:18 PM.
OK, I have reproduced your problem with Uni and NL. Looks like this may be an EA bug with the portals and ownable cars in NL: a bug which is exacerbated with 1-wide lots. Let me work on this awhile and see what I can do.

If you don't mind, I'd prefer to move this discussion to the research thread, since it isn't specific to these lots and will require research and possibly a program to fix:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3026167
Alchemist
#25 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 11:28 PM
Very nice! I like the changes you've made since the original versions. The layouts are more interesting now.
Page 1 of 3