Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 7:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eternal Rose
I'm stuck on step 1 S3OC gave me this nice little message

I looked at the game folder & all where enabled, but with no path.
So what path do I need to tell it to look

My documents> Electronic Arts>Sims3>..............

go into your 'settings' tab and click 'game files' make sure all the EP and SP you have are in there and there's a check mark next to them. If not just add them.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eternal Rose
I'm stuck on step 1 S3OC gave me this nice little message

I looked at the game folder & all where enabled, but with no path.
So what path do I need to tell it to look

My documents> Electronic Arts>Sims3>..............

s30c isn't asking for your documents path, it's asking for the installation paths. So for example the base game should be "C:>Program Files (x86)>Electronic Arts> The Sims 3".
The path will be the same for each of the expansion and stuff packs but with the relevant name at the end instead of "The Sims 3".

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tlorehand
I've followed this tutorial all the way to the part about the masking and of course my wall that I want to use is just simple strips, nothing that can be recolored since it's for my own personal use (not that I wouldn't share if I could)

{snip}

But I have made enough for sims 1 and 2 in my time, but sims 3 is different and you just can't drop the wallpaper into the download folder and hope it works or import it Via the homecrafter cause i'm not certain if the sims 3 works off the same file extension and according to this thread it's doesn't.

so all I'm needed to know is, how to make my wallpaper that's already finished usable in the sims 3 game without having to go through the whole masking option or even the whole cloning someone else's wallpaper? (I'm just trying to finish building the Smart house and I'm becoming frustrated/upset at the fact that I can't use my wallpaper already created for it.)

{snip}

thanks

I will admit that I have not created any walls for the Sims 3 myself but I have created walls for The Sims 2.
I can confirm that the two games, although they both use the .package file extension, use two different types. A TS2 .package will not function in TS3 and vice versa.
The reason a wall needs to be cloned in order to create a new one is so that the package is set up correctly for the game to understand, then you just go in and edit and chage the bits you need to.
The process is very different from TS2 because of what goes into a package. A TS2 wall just needs the picture of what it looks like but a TS3 wall needs a Mask, Specular, Multiplier, and Bumpmap.
Sharing a picture of the wall you are trying to create may help people to give better feedback.
I hope I have been of some help to you even though I haven't solved your issue.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#29 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tlorehand
... when I ask I get chastised at every turn and it makes me not want to be apart of this site anymore.

I have no idea where this is coming from, you have all of 13 posts and none of the responses to any of those were rude or being chastising.

I'm not positive if default cloning in S3OC will bring in the overlay, or even if it is enabled. But you probably could clone a wall, and just put your image into the overlay bypassing the need for anything else. Of course this makes the wall non-CAStable. It might be easier to use TSRW to do this, as it has a nice graphical interface. If you insist on using S3OC though, just say so and I can dig up a few more links on how to do some of the other stuff if you need help.
Test Subject
#30 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 1:44 AM
I am trying to edit the "Wall_Foundation" texture, but I can't find an image of the brick texture when I open the cloned "Wall_Foundation" package in s3pe.

I see three images in the package, which are shown in the .gif below:

I believe the red image is the color mask, the transparent image is the bump map, and the solid gray image should have been the brick texture. Can anyone help me figure out why the brick texture isn't showing up?
Mad Poster
#31 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabjaan
I am trying to edit the "Wall_Foundation" texture, but I can't find an image of the brick texture when I open the cloned "Wall_Foundation" package in s3pe.

I see three images in the package, which are shown in the .gif below:

I believe the red image is the color mask, the transparent image is the bump map, and the solid gray image should have been the brick texture. Can anyone help me figure out why the brick texture isn't showing up?

Try unticking the Alpha channel in the preview window and see if that makes any difference.

Test Subject
#32 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Try unticking the Alpha channel in the preview window and see if that makes any difference.

Thank you for replying. I unticked the Alpha channel in the S3PE preview window, but the brick texture still did not show up
Test Subject
#33 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 8:49 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but if you are not converting from Sims 2, what are you actually opening up in GIMP? I have the DDS plugin but it will not allow me to open the dds resource files. Please help :-)
Forum Resident
#34 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by metisqueen
Hi,

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but if you are not converting from Sims 2, what are you actually opening up in GIMP? I have the DDS plugin but it will not allow me to open the dds resource files. Please help :-)

It's not a stupid question at all.

You will open the _IMG files that you exported from the walls you're cloning.

Did you install the DDS plug-in like this:
C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (or which ever directory you installed GIMP in)?
Test Subject
#35 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 7:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlayinSafe
It's not a stupid question at all.

You will open the _IMG files that you exported from the walls you're cloning.

Did you install the DDS plug-in like this:
C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (or which ever directory you installed GIMP in)?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke with Inge actually because what I ended up doing was putting the img files each in the wrong places. I also found out its a terribly outdated tutorial also, so she showed me how to do it with her program TT3. Its much easier. I did though figure out eventually that you needed to change the image files, but I couldn't tell which was which so I screwed it up lol.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 9:14 AM
Thanks very much for this tutorial! It helped me a lot to create my first wallpanels set! Thanks :-)

From Ellle with love
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 7:52 PM Last edited by nanatoana : 31st Mar 2014 at 9:09 PM.
I am attempting to make my first wall using this tutorial, and I have no idea where to go to find the textures I am wanting for my wall. I want paint on the upper portion of the wall, and subway tiles on the bottom portion. The wall I chose has a baseboard that is fine the way it is. Please help! When I open GIMP to change the wall to what I want, it is not an option; only the images I chose to change the pattern on the wall. I am trying to make a brand new wall using one of the tile walls in Sims 3 for the color channels per the tutorial, but I don't know how to change the img files from S3OC so that I can find them for GIMP.

God will never give you more than you can handle--my mother
Test Subject
#38 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 6:51 PM
Great tutorial
This tutorial was amazing and explained everything really well thank you for sharing this tutorial with us all I have a question however I'm wondering if I installed my walls correctly because they're not showing up in my game. After I saved the package files in SimPE I move the package files from where I save them at to the mods folder in The Sims 3 under documents is that the right place to install them and if not where do I install them this is my first modding project in I'm having a little fun with it and I'd like to see my project in games please help

Horse lovers are Stable Sims
Site Helper
#39 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 1:55 AM
(I know this is a bit nit-picky, but I do hope you are actually using S3OC with s3pe, not SimPE which is the tool for a Sims 2 file and doesn't work on Sims 3 or 4 files. Using the proper terminology cuts down on the people coming to the SimPE site wondering why it's saying they are trying to edit a Spore package when they are trying to open a Sims 3 file.)

Mods/Packages/"whatever subfolder you are putting your walls into" should be the place to put them. You also need a resource.cfg in the Mods folder to make things work. You can get the entire Framework, including the resource.cfg, from the wiki page here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Setup_and_Files (at the blue "Download" about halfway down the page.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#40 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 8:23 PM Last edited by ankbetneferu : 10th Dec 2016 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Found correct link
Default Nevermind.
I tried to get S3OC and S3PE but the links are broken.

Edit:
Found them here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sims3tools/files/ after visiting http://www.simlogical.com/
Test Subject
#41 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 11:07 PM
I'm confused. If I'm duplicating a sims3 wall to edit (I want to make 3 horizontal gray stripes on a white wall with a gray baseboard), after I "Select all the IMG with wall in the filename by holding down ctrl while clicking on them, right click, then select export to file. Leave S3PE open." then where do I pick up in the tutorial since I'm not converting a sims 2 file?
Site Helper
#42 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 5:07 PM
First: I clicked the auto-links for S3PE and S3OC and they worked nicely for me. But yes, the links on page 1 are old.

Second, if you are not using a Sims 2 wall you pick back up once you have an image to edit.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 6:27 PM
I know this is probably a long shot but I'm trying to follow this without the photos and it's really difficult. Does anybody have any advice?
Site Helper
#44 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 10:32 PM
The best advice I can give would be to try making walls using Texture Tweaker , which was made after this tutorial and which simplifies the process enormously.

Lab Assistant
#45 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 10:26 PM
So I got some walls from the store and they all ended up under the "Miscellaneous" Type for the walls and so I took it upon myself to sort them.
I was successful and I learned a few things that might be beneficial to those who are looking to do their own Wall Sorting (or Creation).

Preemptive warning: As always, save a copy of your file before you make modifications to it. I do not assume responsibility for wrecking your game or your emotional distress over it.

If you are looking to recategorize a Wall or Floor:

In Game:
1) Make note of the catalog name(s) and where you wish to move the Wall(s)/Floor(s) you wish to recategorize.

IN S3OC (Sims 3 Object Cloner):
1) * If Store Item: Choose "File" -> "Open Package". Navigate to "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache" and open a .dbc file, which is likely the one with the highest number at the end if it is a recently installed item.
* If a custom content Item: choose "File" -> "Open Package" Open the .package file the Wall or Floor is in.
* If it is a regular EA Item: Choose "Cloning", "Wall/Floor Patterns"
2) Click on "Tag" to re-sort the columns by tag. Scroll down to "CWAL" resources.
3) Arrow Down through the resources to see the Catalog Name on the right and copy down the Resource Name associated with it.
4) Close the file.

In S3PE:
1) Open the same file you just had open in S3OC.
2) Select the CWAL file for the wall you want to recategorize by the resource name you identified in S3OC.
3) Push the "Grid" button near the middle of the bottom of the window.
4) Click the Arrow next to "Materials" then the Arrow(s) next to each [ ] Materials under it.
5) In the "Unknown4" subcategory, change the Hex code next to it to move the wall where you have chosen to put it.
6) Push "commit" in the Data Grid window and save the changes to the file.

Unknown 4 Codes for Walls
Paint
0x00000008
Wallpaper
0x00000100
Tile
0x00000080
Paneling
0x00000010
Masonry
0x00000004
Rock&Stone
0x00000020
Siding
0x00000040
Wall Sets
0x00000200
Misc.
0x00000002

If I come up with more categorization codes I could add them.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 13th Oct 2019 at 2:54 PM
Is there a place to download this tutorial? All the photobucket photos are grayed out. Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.
Page 2 of 2