Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Any Game Starter 3 [Updated: v. 2.6]

by jonha Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 12:44 PM - Updated 1st Dec 2020 at 6:34 PM by jonha

292 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 253 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 12
Scholar
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 1:04 PM Last edited by jonha : 3rd Oct 2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Update 2.6
FAQ:
Question: Can I start the launcher to install mods etc.?
Answer: Yes! Start the profile as usual and in the main menu select "Open Launcher".

There is also an option to start the launcher in the context menu of each profile.

Question: Can I manage different game versions?
Answer: No. This tool can't start old game versions, as they aren't anymore on your hard drive. And managing multiple installations hasn't been considered, yet, and will be complicated.

Question: Why does it always start with all expansions although I disabled some? Or why does it always load the default profile?
Answer: Make sure you selected the right exe file. The right file, which should be selected by default, is the TS3W.exe in the base-game game/bin directory for games with at least the Generations patch. All other .exe files are only around 29kb small fake .exe files which do nothing else but launch the main TS3W.exe, but they launch them in a way that prevents AGS3 from adjusting the profiles as necessary.

Question: How does it work?
Answer: Adjusting the profile works by spawning the TS3W.exe in an environment which has the %userprofile% variable modified. As in general the Sims 3 profile is in the documents directory and the documents directory is in the userprofile, this way the location where Sims 3 reads and writes it's data can be adjusted. If the documents directory is not in the userprofile dir, it gets temporarily changed to %userprofile%/documents. Disabling EPs works by temporarily changing the permissions of the EP's registry keys, so the game doesn't find them while the profile is started.

Known problems:
  • Starting the launcher in a profile may result in temporary files getting saved in the profile folder, resulting in problems when deleting the profile again as some files are considered as system files and can't be deleted automatically. When you have problems completely deleting a profile, manually delete the AnyGameStarter3\Games\<profile name> folder using Windows Explorer for example, which should work.

Release notes:

Version 1.0
  • Not published, problems with Windows Vista and 7

Version 1.1 (17. Jun 2010)
  • Initial release
  • Fixed problems with Windows Vista and 7
  • Relocated "Add Profile" button.
  • Added version info to MainWindow.

Version 1.2 (26. Jun 2010)
  • Made the UI translateable
  • Made translations (english, german)
  • Fixed exe file selection
  • Fixed EP detection (multiple exe files)
  • Cleaned "add profile" UI
  • Better error handling
  • Better language chooser
  • SKU detection
  • Version info enhanced
  • Various minor fixes and improvements
  • Setup is now multilanguage
  • Only show locales from the installed game edition
  • Editing the default profile has been disabled for safety reasons. If you still need to access it, press the ctrl-key while right clicking on the icon.

Version 1.3 (30. Sep 2010)
  • Added about box with translation info
  • Improved browse for Mods folder
  • Shows profile information (for example number of safe games, mods, folder size)
  • Creating a nameless profile is no longer possible (as deleting it can corrupt all profiles)
  • Allows to open launcher
  • Detect crashing games and mismatching versions
  • Fixed missing language error
  • Fixed browse for folder
  • Fixed restore after bluescreen
  • Sort expansions by EP number/release date
  • Defective profiles will no longer cause an error
  • Context menu is now translated, too
  • Better main window design

Version 2.0 (02. Jun 2011)
  • Added "environment info" button to about window which copies debug information to clipboard
  • Fixed browsing for executable without detection of TS3
  • Added sv-SE and pt-BR translation by Henek and renanfelipemac to setup package
  • New profiles use the TS3W.exe when a current game version has been detected
  • All existing profiles are changed to use the new TS3W.exe when a current game version has been detected (if you manually set another executable like 3booter, you may have to change it back)

Version 2.1 (16. Jul 2011)
  • Fixed some cases of missing game detection for Generations and later versions
  • Simplified game detection
  • Removed legacy game detection for old versions (now requires v. 1.22 / Generations)
  • Added experimental game detection for Steam installations
  • Fixed weird message reported by crinrict and Kyro21
  • Better localization. For example Swiss-German users will now get the Germany-German translation as automatic fallback.

Version 2.2 (23. Jul 2011)
  • Fixed another weird dialog box appearing when a profile can't be found
  • Renaming profiles now works properly
  • Added context menu entry for renaming profiles
  • Added context menu entry for duplicating profiles
  • Tried to fix "folder not empty" message when deleting profile. Probably doesn't work 100% but at least you get a proper dialog window in case it fails.

Version 2.3 (16. Sep 2011)
  • Added warning when selected profile directory already exists
  • Added warning when AGS3 will try to modify the documents directory
  • Added info in profile dialog window when no expansion are found, TS3could not be found or when expansions are not selectable because of a steam installation
  • Profile names are now forced to have no whitespace in front or at the end of their name as this could cause problems
  • Can now drag icons for example to desktop to create quick shortcuts
  • Shortcuts get a better description text
  • Reduced flickering of main window
  • Launching two profiles at the same time using desktop icons is no longer possible
  • Better handling of windows explorer crashing while a game is running (don't try to restore the settings then)
  • Various minor fixes and tweaks

Version 2.4 (18. Sep 2011)
  • Fixed some issues introduced in 2.3

Version 2.5 (20. Sep 2011)
  • Profile folder detection is now more strict than before
  • Opening the profile folder now raises a warning if it hasn't been created properly by first launching the profile one time.
  • Minor tweaks and fixes

Version 2.6 (03. Oct. 2011)
  • Starting the launcher on a profile is now sufficient for profile folder detection
  • Fixed problem with profile directory resetting when changing profile
  • The Create-a-Pet demo is no longer detected as expansion pack
  • Added Spanish translation by xXJuAnJi05Xx
Screenshots
Banned
#3 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 5:53 PM
ZOMG! This! Is pure genius, I have been waiting for something like this ever since the first Sims 3 EP was released. You are brilliant!

Edit:

It's not working for me, when I try to open the AGS from the icon created on the desktop, it just says the program stopped working, and it shuts down every time. Maybe because some of my games were downloaded from EA store?
Typical
#4 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:03 PM Last edited by lewjen : 13th Aug 2010 at 2:23 PM.
AWESOME! Thanks so much! :D
This is also useful for lot builders.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
Edit:

It's not working for me, when I try to open the AGS from the icon created on the desktop, it just says the program stopped working, and it shuts down every time. Maybe because some of my games were downloaded from EA store?

Please try to run C:\Program Files\Any Game Starter\FixRegistryRights.exe

Does it work now? If yes, does it say "version 1.1" in the bottom left corner of the application?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:08 PM
Fantastic - but I broke it already.

I have my My Docs on a secondary HD, F, so I created a new user account to test the AGS. I have both EPs, but I don't have HELS. Having created the account, I ran TS3 from the Ambitions exe to generate user files; then ran the AGS and tried to create a new profile. The new profile screen doesn't give me the option of selecting WA; and the default profile's properties don't show WA as available either.

I believe this may be related to the game. After discovering that AGS wasn't detecting WA, I ran TS3 from the WA exe, and only then did I see the WA first startup tips (the "Your sim can go on adventures now!" popups in game); I didn't see them when I first started the game using the Ambitions exe.

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the AGS, which still isn't detecting WA. Reinstalling AGS also has not fixed the issue, and nor has running FixRegistryRights.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, En-US version of the game, and my install paths are as follows:
E:\Programs\Gaming\The Sims 3\The Sims 3
E:\Programs\Gaming\The Sims 3\World Adventures
E:\Programs\Gaming\The Sims 3\Ambitions
E:\Programs\Gaming\The Sims 3\Any Game Starter 3
C:\Users\User\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:12 PM
Can you open regedit (Winkey+R, type "regedit") and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sims\
or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sims\
(depending on if you use a 64bit windows version)

Is there a folder for World Adventures? Does it contain the correct path to the exe? Maybe you can export the "Sims" folder and Attach it here?

Additionally, does it say "version 1.1" for you, too? I suppose there may be a cache issue where the site is publishing old files.
Banned
#8 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:15 PM
Great! It's working just as it should now, thank you for the pointer Jonha.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:20 PM
Great! It's working just as it should now, thank you for the pointer Jonha.

Well, it should have run this application automatically, if needed. Question again: Does it say "Version 1.1" at the bottom of the AGS window?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:28 PM Last edited by whiterider : 17th Jun 2010 at 6:41 PM.
(Off-topic) The registry fixer did run automatically when I installed.

The reg files are attached. It's a 64-bit system.

Edit: Oops, attached the wrong file. Fixed.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  sims.rar (563 Bytes, 71 downloads)

Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
The reg files are attached.

The reg file looks identical to mine (except the language) and should be OK. You don't have renamed your WA executable or something like that?

I think I have to add error logging to be able to better debug errors like this...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 6:50 PM
Aha, I've fixed the issue - it was stupid user error. I'd used CFF Explorer to edit my game exes to allow >2GB memory (as well as various other things that looked interesting). Restoring the original exes fixed everything. Thankyou.

Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 7:07 PM
Good to hear. Althoug I still don't understand how using CFF Explorer could cause something like this. AGS only checks if the TS3_EPxx.exe exists, not the file content.
Banned
#14 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Well, it should have run this application automatically, if needed. Question again: Does it say "Version 1.1" at the bottom of the AGS window?

Oh yes, sorry it did say version 1.1 I got so excited it was working, I forgot to add that. Also the great thing about this AGS is you can use it on games purchased from the EA store, unlike The Sims 2 version by Numenor.
Test Subject
#15 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 7:25 PM
That's great!

BTW what's the "Greek" under the 2nd plumbob in the pic??? :S
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeorgefPlay
BTW what's the "Greek" under the 2nd plumbob in the pic??? :S

Well, I just tested the game in Greek language.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 7:54 PM
I was just thinking we needed something like this.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 8:00 PM
Fantastic! Thank you! I've been wanting this for ages.

Nacho average teen.
Other Stuff By Me.
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Well, I just tested the game in Greek language.

Good to know that it works in my language.I should test it!
Field Researcher
#20 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 8:10 PM
How much space does it take up? Is it like installing twice as much base game? o_O

I'm kinda interested in this because I need to learn Spanish this year. It could be very helpful, I suspect. :3

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Banned
#21 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 8:13 PM Last edited by joninmobile : 17th Jun 2010 at 8:25 PM.
I'm having problems getting custom content for the AGS to show up. I thought that I followed your instructions that you linked to perfectly, but maybe I missed something. I think I'm confused by the instructions, sorry.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CleoSombra
How much space does it take up? Is it like installing twice as much base game? o_O

I'm kinda interested in this because I need to learn Spanish this year. It could be very helpful, I suspect. :3

Your program files folder will not be duplicated, but it will of course create a separate user folder with save files etc. Depending on how much save files you create it can take around 200MB-2GB, but of course this would be the same if you would create additional saves in the main profile. Just installing AGS3 and creating a profile only consumes a few MB.

I'm having problems getting custom content for the AGS to show up. I thought that I followed your instructions that you linked to perfectly, but maybe I missed something. I think I'm confused by the instructions, sorry.

Sorry for the not very detailed instructions. Do you have your mods in program files or in the documents folder? If they are in the program files, I first suggest moving them into the documents folder using my instructions. The game help on this site also covers moving the mods if you need help with that.

If you moved your mods and they are (still) working with the normal game, you can just copy your Mods folder to the directory of the anygame and change the contents as necessary.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 9:24 PM
Wow! This is ingenious. Another milestone has been set. Well done, jonha!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 9:51 PM Last edited by hazuitokage : 17th Jun 2010 at 10:11 PM.
I also was waiting for something like that, but I'm curious about how this works with the patches ? With Ambitions and the latest patch needed for this to work, as you said, will the base anygame that I create be all patched too ?

Edit : I'm asking relative to creation and uploading non-patched base-game compatible items etc, rather than a play point of view, in my case .
Instructor
#25 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 10:07 PM Last edited by Fawkes : 17th Jun 2010 at 10:19 PM.
I would like to know the same as hazuitokage? Will they all be patched, or will you be able to play/create a vanilla game??

EDIT: or to create, like hazuitokage has just said

(())Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that has
//\\survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Page 1 of 12