Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#26 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psyckotic
Delphy plugin and your beta5 exporter plugin. :smash:

There is no difference between the original and the test. Try to find the original. :confused:
(It is on the left)

Are you starting with a mesh extracted as a .obj file (from Delphy's plugin)?
If so, I think that is the problem. The importer and exporter plugins do complementary conversions.
The old exporter did no conversions. So I think it is converting a .obj file that has already been converted, thus inverting things.
The example I posted had the extraction and the export BOTH done with the new plugins.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#27 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by peter_halland
.. i am above 40, i should write it down and put it up on the wall behind the computer.

It gets worse.. I am past 50 now, and get confused :confused: every time the subject gets changed...
<* Wes *>

Field Researcher
#28 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:00 PM
I try to do it with the two new plugins in milkshape 1.7.2 but i have problems. Some normal are swapped but no problem of shadow with milkshape 1.7.2 . I can show you my results.
Test Subject
#29 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:07 PM
is there a tutorial anywhere?
Field Researcher
#30 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:14 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 30th Jan 2005 at 2:33 PM.
I try to do it with the two new plugins in milkshape 1.7.2 but i have problems. Some normal are swapped but no problem of shadow with milkshape 1.7.2 . I can show you my results.

Delphy extractor to obj -> import in milkshape 1.7.2 -> beta5 exporter is the good one with no problem.
beta1 importer -> beta5 exporter in milkshape 1.7.2 : ERR: normals exceed vertices.
Here the result beta2 importer -> beta6 exporter in milkshape 1.7.2
Screenshots
Alchemist
Original Poster
#31 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:23 PM
Delphy plugin and your beta5 exporter plugin. :smash:

There is no difference between the original and the test. Try to find the original. :confused:
(It is on the left)

More...
I don't want anyone to think I am knocking Delphy's plugin, or attempting to replace it. Delphy, Miche and I have worked closely together on trying to decipher the MAXIS formats used in the gmdc, and are not really 'competing'.
What I am driving this wagon towards is to be able to provide native support for object animation. I am unsure if I will be able to manage all mesh types (there are a LOT of complex things in the body meshes), but I do want to expand the horizon so that we can MAKE items like the Alienware Computer, from scratch if we want.
I have an importer plugin here (unreleased) that not only imports the mesh, but also includes the animation points/skeleton and the bone assignments.
Many items, like the beds, the alienware computer and so on have no more data than I just described in the GMDC. The next step I am working on is to finish an exporter that reverses the process used to import the data.
If I do this right, then you would be, in theory here, be able to revamp the alienware computer to make a different cabinet shape, move the cd tray to another location, place the screen and mouse differently, and by placing the existing animation points in the right location have it all work.
Someone else may then figure out how to change the animations themselves, adding new functionality, but I am not working on this.
None of the data that is used for this functionality is exported by Delphy's plugin, and were he to want to do so (and anyone so inclined has access to my findings on the wiki), there is no place to put it in the .obj file. So I am extending the plugins in this direction.
I could easily slap the changed vertice/normal matching tweaks into Beta 5 and upload it, which would make what you are doing (export .obj, load it into MilkShape) work fine, but that would move the development in a different direction that where I am headed.
I do appreciate the testing y'all are doing. I take all your findings seriously, and I hope that you can understand what I am trying to do.
And why? To quote Sir Edmund Hillary "because it's there".
<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#32 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 2:42 PM
Delphy extractor to obj -> import in milkshape 1.7.2 -> beta5 exporter is the good one with no problem.
beta1 importer -> beta5 exporter in milkshape 1.7.2 : ERR: normals exceed vertices.
Here the result beta2 importer -> beta6 exporter in milkshape 1.7.2

We are both writing our posting at the same time, I think!
I am still unable to replicate your results here.
I exported the statue mesh with Delphy's plugin and then immediately exported it, replaced the gmdc in the package with the exported one, aved and ran the game.
Because I didn't change the orientation, you'll see that the statue is laying on the ground (half buried). But she looks fine otherwise.
I'm mystified as to what the difference is between my system, and apparently peter halland's, and yours, for the results you are getting.
<* Wes *>

Field Researcher
#33 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:02 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 30th Jan 2005 at 3:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
We are both writing our posting at the same time, I think!
I am still unable to replicate your results here.
I exported the statue mesh with Delphy's plugin and then immediately exported it, replaced the gmdc in the package with the exported one, aved and ran the game.
Because I didn't change the orientation, you'll see that the statue is laying on the ground (half buried). But she looks fine otherwise.
I'm mystified as to what the difference is between my system, and apparently peter halland's, and yours, for the results you are getting.
<* Wes *>

Yes I have that like you with Delphy extractor plugin -> import in milkshape 1.7.2 -> beta6 exporter
I understand what you mean. Delphy extract normals, your importer don't but import other extra features.

Can you do an option to your exporter plugin because it is not sims2 what use a differents coordinates but milkshape. Because in 3dsmax or maya or lightwave, it is the same system of coordinates of sims2.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:33 PM
Yes I have that like you with Delphy extractor plugin -> import in milkshape 1.7.2 -> beta6 exporter
I understand what you mean. Delphy extract normals, your importer don't but import other extra features.

Can you do an option to your exporter plugin because it is not sims2 what use a differents coordinates but milkshape. Because in 3dsmax or maya or lightwave, it is the same system of coordinates of sims2.

I do extract the normals.
And you are right, everybody else is using the DirectX way, and few are using the OpenGL set.
I'll consider your request. By this time, Delphy's tool has been released publicly, and may do what you want better (for file conversion from 3ds or maya).
<* Wes *>

Field Researcher
#35 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 3:46 PM
I do extract the normals.
And you are right, everybody else is using the DirectX way, and few are using the OpenGL set.
I'll consider your request. By this time, Delphy's tool has been released publicly, and may do what you want better (for file conversion from 3ds or maya).
<* Wes *>

I would thank you for your work.
Scholar
#36 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 4:14 PM
wow you guys rule wish i had even half the clue you guys have id love to be able to do this but im slow as mud...oh and psyckotic will you be releasing that angel sculpture?? very nice
#37 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:04 PM Last edited by tbd : 30th Jan 2005 at 9:16 PM.
cool plugin, a 5 minute example

some tweaking http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/941044/fun3.jpg

funny: toilet? no just a bucket http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005...uckettoilet.jpg
Forum Resident
#38 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 7:09 PM
Field Researcher
#39 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dragon_tfm
wow you guys rule wish i had even half the clue you guys have id love to be able to do this but im slow as mud...oh and psyckotic will you be releasing that angel sculpture?? very nice

Yes I release it in New Mesh section.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 3:16 AM Last edited by MimeWhite : 2nd Feb 2005 at 1:05 AM.
wes_h can i ask you something,

this is my Dora toy, I made it for testing (at the left) ,I don't have a problem untill when this girl using it, it turn back into the original maxis mesh (toy pink head) , how do I fix this?
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 3:37 AM
MimeWhite, it's likely an issue with OW's cloning of that item. Even plain old recolors of it revert when it's played with.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:12 AM
Just want to say that i worked the whole day with this new plugins and everything was doing well,... as you can see (downloadable in the beta-testers)
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:13 AM
eh, sorry but' what is OW? I just learn how to use simpe&mesh tool yesterday lol , so is this possible to fix anyway?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MimeWhite
eh, sorry but' what is OW? I just learn how to use simpe&mesh tool yesterday lol , so is this possible to fix anyway?

OW=Object workshop, the clone maker. I don't think you can fix it right now. That object works differently than others and RGiles, Numenor, and Quaxi haven't figured out how to make it stable. If it's beyond them, it's probably beyond you and I anytime soon.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#45 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MimeWhite
wes_h can i ask you something,

this is my Dora toy, I made it for testing (at the left) ,I don't have a problem untill when this girl using it, it turn back into the original maxis mesh (toy pink head) , how do I fix this?

I would guess that you didn't make a full clone, or didn't change the GUID on the object.
Also, some objects transform their appearance when used. If you only remade one of the appearances, then when it transforms, it would look like the original transformation. Specific examples of what I mean: Broken, Dirty.
Something like this is probably what is happening.
<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#46 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 8:55 AM
UPDATE: 31-Jan-2005
I have posted an update of the plugins. I think that one of the coordinate conversions when normals were greater than vertices was not being done correctly.
The biggest reason for this update was to add functionality to not perform the coordinate conversions. You need do nothing to leave the plugin performing as it is now, but the readme has instructions on creating an option file that will change the default behavior.
I put this in by request, and believe it will be of most use to people that are using MilkShape and the plugin as a 'bridge' between their favorite 3D program and the game.
I am pleased to see so many nice new creations showing up. The imagination some of you have and the cleverness of your creations makes me as proud as a new father!
<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#47 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peter_halland
Just want to say that i worked the whole day with this new plugins and everything was doing well,... as you can see (downloadable in the beta-testers)

Peter: You are SO clever with the subtle censorship in that picture. Very professional looking. Are you a professional artist of some type? You certainly seem to have the talent for it.
<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#48 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 9:03 AM
Just as a note, I am having some minor surgery done today (having the pins they put in my ankle when I broke it removed). While I expect to be back home later, I imagine that the pain pills will probably keep me loopy and sleepy for a few days. So if you don't get an immediate answer, be patient (no pun intended).
<* Wes *>

Field Researcher
#49 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 12:17 PM Last edited by peter_halland : 1st Feb 2005 at 2:54 AM.
Are you a professional artist of some type? <* Wes *>

No i am not. I m standing with my feets in the clay... farming and wetlands. But when i was young and still beautyfull i was painting some years, so maybee not all talent is gone with the beauty
About filenaming: That was great to hear that i can change the filenames in Simpe. Now i do it this way with the GMDC-files: -Copy the internal GMDC filename (Plugin view: number + first two words second line), -on the GMDC choosing extract, -paste the internal filename before saving. In milkshape -import this extracted SimPE file and export to that place where the extracted SimPE was. Now the internal filename allways is with you. Makes life easier when you have to deal with more than 1 GMDC or have to make a lot of changes during testing modifications.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 5:29 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 31st Jan 2005 at 5:37 PM.
UPDATE: 31-Jan-2005
I have posted an update of the plugins. I think that one of the coordinate conversions when normals were greater than vertices was not being done correctly.
The biggest reason for this update was to add functionality to not perform the coordinate conversions. You need do nothing to leave the plugin performing as it is now, but the readme has instructions on creating an option file that will change the default behavior.
I put this in by request, and believe it will be of most use to people that are using MilkShape and the plugin as a 'bridge' between their favorite 3D program and the game.
I am pleased to see so many nice new creations showing up. The imagination some of you have and the cleverness of your creations makes me as proud as a new father!
<* Wes *>

Thx very much. You are the best !!!
Add a warning the regardless shadow bug not come from your plugin but from milkshape 1.7.3. That bug not occur in 1.7.2.
Locked thread
Page 2 of 3