Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

-Uni Major Revamp- Realistic Major to Career Linking

by Phaenoh Posted 13th Nov 2011 at 12:27 AM - Updated 23rd Nov 2011 at 5:00 AM by Phaenoh

105 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 52 Feedback Posts, 52 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Theorist
THANKS POST
#2 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 12:49 AM
Thanks for taking the time to figure this out and do the work needed to share it. It looks like it makes much more sense!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 1:00 AM
So, if we just download the first file that doesn't require a degree to get into a job, will sims who haven't got the degree still be able to get that job? And do we HAVE to download the Slacker career or will it still show up?

"When darkness falls hope is a concept broken with suffering."
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 1:10 AM
Aserette, I'm not really sure what you are saying. The first file will change the degree requirements and change with majors match with which career.

The slacker file is completely separate and not needed or really related much. You don't need it if you don't want it.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 2:23 AM
Thank you so much for making this! <3 The old Maxis majors didn't make much sense at all. xD
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#6 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 5:24 AM
Lovely mod-I wonder if it can be linked to ChristianLov's 'Counterfeit College Diploma" (here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=289704) somehow? (I'm lazy-I admit it! I don't wanna send them to college!)
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 6:22 AM
This has always bugged me too. Thank you for hashing it out.
(Although, I always that that Journalism should be linked to the Literature major...)
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 9:17 AM
Thank you so much! The lack of realism has always bothered me and now I actually have a reason to send sims to college, yay I want a realistic sim world with college graduates, high school graduates and high school drop outs with different jobs available for them

I have to say though, I think that Journalism should be linked to Literature too and I couldn't understand why Athletics is linked to Political Science.

And a question: Natural Science needs a degree too, right? You didn't list it in your summary, but mention it under that. I just want to make sure.

Thanks again, I really love this mod
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 1:02 PM
This Mod has actually got me tempted to play University again, I normally can't be bothered to send them, but this makes sense!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#10 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 1:49 PM
Awesome stuff! I'm grabbing this

Hmm, I think Athletic could be linked to Biology. All those sports people need to know how bodies work, after all
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 6:24 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 13th Nov 2011 at 6:53 PM.
I'm glad you all like this! You can make your own version by using mine and extracting out the careers I didn't change. The main limitation however, is I'm pretty sure you can only have six careers per major. I had quite a few that I wanted seven, eight, or nine to link to but I had to cut it back.
Undead Molten Llama
THANKS POST
#12 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 8:40 PM
This is fabulous. It always bugged me that the majors didn't link to careers that made sense, and now they will. Thanks so much for doing the investigation and the work that went into this.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#13 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 11:29 PM
I bow down to your awesomeness! Thank you for sharing the awesome with the rest of us.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#14 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 11:51 PM
Hallelujah! I adore this mod for fixing the 'paranormal = degree, medicine = none' stupidity. Looking forward to testing it out.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#15 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 12:38 AM
I think Athletics is linked to Political Sceince because of Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 12:53 AM
I like Uni very much, all my teens goes to college! I speed up the semesters though! The majors and careers always bugged me too! Thank you for fixing the things up!

About those questions, Uni careers shows up as available only for Uni graduated Sims. Graduated Sims always starts a career, any career, in jobs around the middle and not at the top. I think it's ok because they spent all that time studying so many skiils and making friends... They don't have to get a degree in a specific career though, any career will do the trick and that's is another bugging part.

Thank you!

Don't worry! Be happy!
TheSimsCafe
TheSims_Brasil Yahoo group
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#17 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 2:35 AM
Why, I must say, this is a rather major revamp to the major system. I think I'll send major major major to college now.

Also, I love how out of the original university career options, only ONE makes sense as a job that requires a degree. Maxis
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 11:47 AM
Wow, excellent! Quick questions, sorry if they're stupid ones: does this add career tracks that dont' come with Uni? (I don't think Adventure and Gamer show up for an EP or two.) And how does it deal with custom careers we've already got, particularly if they have the same name as one that's in it? Just override it? (I have a downloaded Education one somewhere with a Sim who's toward the top of it; I know it's all fixable with cheat codes but want to know what I'm in for.)

Thanks so much!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 1:16 PM
So wait, are some careers FT and AL jobs? Cause, I only have up to BV. How do i separate the files? :]
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cathteg
does this add career tracks that dont' come with Uni? And how does it deal with custom careers we've already got?

Quote: Originally posted by trambling101
So wait, are some careers FT and AL jobs? Cause, I only have up to BV. How do i separate the files? :]

It does not add career tracks that you don't have, and it doesn't matter if you don't have them. If the files for an EP's career are not present, my mod's code line will not get called so you don't need to delete them out or anything.

As for custom careers, it won't touch them at all.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#21 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 5:07 PM
This is awesome! It bored me that my sim must study economics or literature to be a... musician? No, no, that was freaked. And You've tweaked it Thank You!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alraris
This is awesome! It bored me that my sim must study economics or literature to be a... musician?

Well, I left literature for the musicians because literature includes poetry and language devices like alliteration and metaphors and symbolism useful in lyric writing

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 6:33 PM
Awesome, I've been wanting something like this. I mean, you can always pretend that your sims need to go to college to do this and that, but whenever possible I like the game to force these things instead. Thank you.
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#24 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 6:35 PM
Thank you for another "greater sanity" mod. Much, much nicer than before! Glad you and Echo took a look at this.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#25 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 4:25 AM
Oh wow someone figured this out. Props to both you and Echo. Great mod, and knowledge!
Page 1 of 5