Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 4:19 AM
Amputee sliders
Today I ran across this mod. Amputee sliders. Sim game is all about simulating reality, but in a more cheery and comical way. Then someone made this sliders. I read there were quite an uproar about it. Some says this is sadistic, others argue that this is part of a reality we live in. I find the whole uproar thing interesting. Probably not going to download these sliders any time soon. But ... what do you think?

Link to blog post: http://mysims3blog.blogspot.pt/2014...neeuromutt.html

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
#2 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 5:11 AM
Men, women and children all over the world are amputees for varying reasons and I feel amputees have a right to be represented in the Sims as much as anyone else.
Instructor
#3 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 5:14 AM
It seems most people on Tumblr like it.
It seems to be another case of 'Someone doesn't like it so they must bash it for no real reason.'

I think it's pretty cool.
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 5:53 AM
What do I think? I probably wouldn't use it, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. If other players enjoy it, excellent.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
just a girl
#5 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 6:29 AM Last edited by Lamare : 4th Feb 2014 at 4:44 PM.
I think I don't want this kind of experience in sims. Maybe I could understand if it would be a consequence of, let's say, meteorite fall provided by the game. But sliders... somehow not funny. It's hard to explain.

Edit: I do not mind if someone likes it, only speak for myself.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 11:10 AM
From a practical perspective, just how does the missing limb affect the sim's ability to function in daily life? I mean, can they still eat if they lost an arm, and what happens to the walk animation without a leg? I have no problem with the existence of such a slider, but other than using it for posed photo shoots for say storytelling, I really wonder just how this slider mucks up game play.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 12:33 PM
^That's what I was thinking.

Anyway I don't have an issue with it, people can do whatever they want in their own games and as it's a mod it's completely optional.
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 2:33 PM
this is very stupid for me i won;t like to have in my game
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 3:23 PM
That is the same thought I have Eskie. It doesn't do anything with game play, just aesthetic. Cool for those that want it, doesn't bother me one way or another. The mod doesn't affect me because it's not in my game.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#10 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 3:26 PM
Ugh, I would never put that on any of my sims ( no offence ).
Scholar
#11 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 3:39 PM
I guess I could see if you want to play realism, but I don't think I'd download them personally
Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 4:27 PM
Well I would not use them myself, I think. But there is nothing wrong with people who would want to. I cannot see why they would offend someone...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
From a practical perspective, just how does the missing limb affect the sim's ability to function in daily life? I mean, can they still eat if they lost an arm, and what happens to the walk animation without a leg? I have no problem with the existence of such a slider, but other than using it for posed photo shoots for say storytelling, I really wonder just how this slider mucks up game play.

I don't think it will muck up game play. TS3 was not designed for this kind of thing. Thus, slider is only a way to adjust the 3D model of the character, thin/fat/busty/muscular/etc... are strictly for the gamers' visual. This falls into such category. So this will not physically affect any of your gaming experience (other than the visual). It will, however, look strange on some animations (and I don't need to have the sliders to tell) that you may experience the "invisible limps" doing stuff.

My reason avoiding this slider pack is in fear that my already outdated slider sets (several) are having a hard time with TS3. Half of my sliders do not function. My downloaded sims don't look anywhere near the screenshots, especially those sims downloaded here on MTS. But other than that, having 1-2 sims as amputee will add into the game play. I however want to find out more about the clutches.

Test Subject
#14 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 8:30 PM
Just my opinion, please don't shoot.

I honestly don't understand why a lot of people are against things like disease, amputation and disability mods. Mods are OPTIONAL. We use mods to enhance are gameplay, for whatever reason we choose. Some people may disagree with a teen pregnancy mod. Simple. Don't download it. It doesn't make sense that some people can use this logic when it comes to mods like that but when disability or amputation or diseases etc are mentioned it is crosssing the line too far.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#15 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 9:22 PM
More options = more cool/fun stuff to do, and more possible character builds. And these are realistic, in the sense that there are people out there who, for one reason or another, have lost an arm or a leg. There are several disgusting mods out there, far worse than teen pregnancy, and no one bats an eye.

I wouldn't get these until someone makes artificial limbs to go with them, however. Like a real pirate peg leg.
Instructor
#16 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 11:29 PM
Honestly, I think these are really interesting. Not something that I personally would use or download, but it definitely adds a different and interesting level of variety to the sims that can be made. I think there's a lot worse mods out there so some of the reactions to this are a little surprising to me.
Though I agree with ButchSims, I'd love to see some artificial limbs to go with these. :D

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
#17 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
More options = more cool/fun stuff to do, and more possible character builds. And these are realistic, in the sense that there are people out there who, for one reason or another, have lost an arm or a leg. There are several disgusting mods out there, far worse than teen pregnancy, and no one bats an eye.

This crossed my mind too, so it makes me wonder why on earth anyone would find moral fault with a mod like this or draw attention to it in a sensational way.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 1:22 AM
They're not to my taste, but if I was or knew someone who was an amputee and wanted to make a simself of them, I'd need them. And I think that's wonderful!
Forum Resident
#19 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 1:38 AM
Some of the negative responses are things along the lines of "I don't see how this could be used in any way except to mock the disabled!" and to me, that's almost more troubling. It's like, seriously, you cannot conceive of anything that wouldn't be inherently cruel? How about a sim who, for whatever reason, was born without an arm, but has a pretty normal life, aside from having one fewer arms than average? That's not mockery, that's just A Thing, one that happens in real life all the time. If the only "respectful" portrayal of persons with disabilities is an after school special, then you're not really seeing them as people, but as props for able-bodied persons to learn about how good they have it.

/endrant

But yeah, I personally won't be downloading this mod (I'd prefer one that was more than aesthetic, y'know?) but I am certainly not offended by its existence. It's kind of like how all the wheelchairs available for download don't have any real functionality. I'd rather have something that somewhat realistically modeled the life of a wheelchair user, not just a prop for story telling.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#20 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
Some of the negative responses are things along the lines of "I don't see how this could be used in any way except to mock the disabled!" and to me, that's almost more troubling.
When I used to work for the hospital, I worked in a unit that had a high amount of amputees, due to diabetes. And do you know, they were the ones telling the most cringe-worthy jokes about their condition.
Acknowledging that amputees exist doesn't mean "mocking" them. They know they are missing a foot, or a leg, or whatever, and for the most part, they can't stand it when people coddle them for it. Until the naysayers have a guy say to them "Well, I just ran all the way here, and boy are my legs tired!" and then proceed to remove both of them, so they can "give 'em some rest", they should just forget about it. Personally, I'd be interested to hear what an actual amputee has to say about them.
Site Helper
#21 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 4:19 PM
My grandfather had to have his right arm amputated. He adapted quite well, even going as far as taking cans down to his workshop in the basement, putting them in his vice clamp, and whacking the top of them off with a hatchet if my uncle hadn't opened it before he left for work.

My question about these amputee sliders is "What do they do to animations?" It kind of spoils the effect when you are using your missing right hand to flip pancakes, for example. (Although I wouldn't have put it past grandpa to manage a trick like that. )

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#22 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 1:28 AM
I wouldn't put them in because I use Twallan's story progression and that uses all the sliders to create townies in my game. I once had a head size slider and I had sims with freakishly huge heads wandering around town. If I put this in my game, I'd have not just one or two sims with missing limbs -- ALL my sim townies would have random missing limbs. Maybe there is some way to tell the Story Progression not to use certain sliders on making random townies, but I don't know what it is.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 6:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
I wouldn't put them in because I use Twallan's story progression and that uses all the sliders to create townies in my game. I once had a head size slider and I had sims with freakishly huge heads wandering around town. If I put this in my game, I'd have not just one or two sims with missing limbs -- ALL my sim townies would have random missing limbs. Maybe there is some way to tell the Story Progression not to use certain sliders on making random townies, but I don't know what it is.

I can relate too. I wish there is a way for NRAAS to stop using sliders (the non EA ones) because of so many abnormalities. I use CmarNYC's XCAS and her Morphing penis add-on (with about 7-8 sliders JUST for that ... part). Thing is, not all of those sliders should be used, else there will be really weird morphing issues. But NRAAS just randomizes every single slider and ... when a sim goes to shower .... OMG ...

I also often get notification of some sims added to town given .... 40-72 accessories. Yeah in fact, I want NRAAS to avoid touching accessories altogether.

Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 9:22 PM
I looooove these sliders and use them all the time! Never had an issue with random amputee townies, either.
Page 1 of 2