Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Live mode in the sims games is pronounced...
Live, like alive
2032 66.21%
Live, rhymes with give
740 24.11%
I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons.
297 9.68%
Voters: 3069. You may not vote on this poll

Test Subject
#26 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:34 PM
The verb would be pronounced as in 'give'; the adjective is pronounced like 'hive' or 'alive'. Therefore, the second one is correct, as 'live' describes 'mode'!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
What is a Weee-feee?

Maybe it is WiFi, pronounced Why-Figh, rhymes with cry and sigh.

Both emotions that descibe Sims 4.
Not buying Sims 4 for quite awhile.

And it is live like in alive or dive.
Oh wait, no pools.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:15 PM
I said it like aLIVE (without the a, of course). It doesn't matter either way, but the condescension some had about the topic was interesting.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#29 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:21 PM
Well. Since the "mustluvcatz is awesome" button seems to be missing, I had to go with the least clicked button "I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons" because buttons deserve love too. And that one is surely not feeling the love right now!
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:25 PM
I've never thought about the reasoning behind it. I've always just said Live as in Alive. Because in the other two modes, the game is paused. Hence you're going back to Live mode to see everything in action.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:38 PM
It honestly never occurred to me that it could be "liv" as opposed to "lyve". Saying that, now that it's been pointed out, Liv Mode makes more sense but sounds so wrong. Which does it translate closer to in other languages? I'd be interested to know if the translation is consistent enough to suggest which might have been intended in English, and indeed whether there's a translator effect of it ending up however the person responsible thought it was in English, and thus influencing how the player reads the word on English language message boards.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:41 PM
I always called it live (rhymes with give) mode
Mad Poster
#33 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
What is a Weee-feee?

WiFi. Of course.
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.
It's not. It's a "W". As in Wii.

So, therefore, live, as in "live"

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
#34 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:49 PM
I'm not a native English speaker, and I always said it like "alive". If you translate it to my language, "liv" mode doesn't even make sense, but (a)live mode makes perfect sense.
Test Subject
#35 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:51 PM
Live, like alive. I want to meet whomever says live, like living, because I've never ever heard that.
Theorist
#36 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
WiFi. Of course.
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.
It's not. It's a "W". As in Wii.

So, therefore, live, as in "live"

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the explanation.
Site Helper
#37 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 7:25 PM
If I've been building or creating sims, it's Live as "alive" Otherwise it's occasionally live that rhymes with give. (Mostly it depends on what I've just been reading.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Theorist
#38 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 7:25 PM
Wow!! Good poll and interesting discussion I obviously have nothing more to contribute other than to say I have always pronounced Live Mode - lyve. Like most I haven't met anyone that says "liv" mode..... at least not yet

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#39 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 7:37 PM
I've always pronounced it as live, like alive. I am controlling my Sims lives, so it seems the appropriate way to say it.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 7:50 PM
I've always called it live, like alive in my head since I started playing Sims 2 in 2010. I didn't realize that the like give pronunciation existed until this poll.
Test Subject
#41 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:05 PM
Live like in give. When I thnk of live like in alive I'm thinking of live performances or something. I think it's live because the sims are living their lives in that mode
Test Subject
#42 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:27 PM
Wow, it honestly never occurred to me that it could be pronounced live as in alive. I don't think that's quite right though, because then it doesn't follow the naming logic of the other modes: you buy in buy mode, build in build mode. It just makes sense to me that you would then live in live mode.
English is interesting isn't it?
Forum Resident
#43 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:35 PM
I always thought it was Live like "alive," but ever since he said Live like "give" in the gameplay video I was like "Wait...so I've been saying it the wrong way for the past 10 years?"

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
#44 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkMirage
I've always pronounced it as live, like alive. I am controlling my Sims lives, so it seems the appropriate way to say it.

Yeah, I mainly thought of it that way because when you're in build and buy mode the game is paused, but then the game is "live" in live mode. :P

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
just a girl
#45 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
I always thought it was Live like "alive," but ever since he said Live like "give" in the gameplay video I was like "Wait...so I've been saying it the wrong way for the past 10 years?"

Well, at least this video introduced something really new! One tiny word for SimGuru, one breakthrough for sims community.
Test Subject
#46 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:05 PM
Live for the game mode as in broadcasting live, live in concert, live as in active, etc.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:19 PM
i always read as live, as in you live in a city/suburb/town/etc. since i first played the Sims 2 when i was 7 (i think i was 7 anyway) and i didn't even know that people called it live as in live news/concert/video/etc
Mad Poster
#48 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:41 PM
The Turtle Man says it best in "LiveAction" and it does not rhymes with give.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:49 PM
I really never before thought about it. Build and Buy, Live and Die. So the right pronunciation would indeed be like in "to live". But: away from this there is something called linguistic usage...
I always preferred to say life mode. I see no reason to change...
Third Button needed love....
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:01 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was like "what?" when it was pronounced like that xD I just paused the video and thought about the last 10 years I've been playing the sims and said it the other way.
Page 2 of 9