Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 11th May 2016 at 8:08 PM
Alpha 2 livestream just ended... It's just an alpha and its already deffinitely getting first place on my GOTY list!

The terrain tools, the way devs listen to community and make new parts based on the feedback, the fast response, the amount of things, detail and interconectivity of those things... I'm astonished! This is the ultimate creative sandbox! It just needs to have user content support confirmed, and I'm giving it the title of "Best game of all times".

Please, someone pinch me, I'm deffinitely dreaming!
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#52 Old 12th May 2016 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Alpha 2 livestream just ended... It's just an alpha and its already deffinitely getting first place on my GOTY list!

The terrain tools, the way devs listen to community and make new parts based on the feedback, the fast response, the amount of things, detail and interconectivity of those things... I'm astonished! This is the ultimate creative sandbox! It just needs to have user content support confirmed, and I'm giving it the title of "Best game of all times".

Please, someone pinch me, I'm deffinitely dreaming!

*slaps you with a fish*

Pinching you wouldn't wake you up from this real-life fantasy.

Seriously though, this is JUST Alpha. Literally every coaster, ride, park, city, ever will be possible to make with the tools they've given/will give us. I wish that they could team up with one (or all) of the theme park giants in the US to recreate a flagship park from each as a scenario, but I'm sure plenty of users will do that anyways.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 13th May 2016 at 1:37 PM Last edited by caolve : 13th May 2016 at 1:56 PM.
Delurking after a 2 year break because I've not seen anyone mentioning Parkitect, which I think deserves way more attention.

I have both Parkitect and Planet Coaster and my life is now consumed by them :lovestruc I was surprised by amount of customization in Parkitect, building stuff is almost comparable to Planet Coasters piece by piece building system, even more so after I downloaded custom building assets, lights, plants, no decor collision mod and such. Of course, Parkitect has more old school visuals and is more grid based, but some stuff I see on shyguysworld or Parkitect nexus continue to blow my mind. Parkitect also has surprising amount of content at this point. If you count mods, there's probably more flat rides than in RCT1/2 and only a few rollercoaster types missing. No water rides (except log flumes) though and sandbox mode only, like currently in Planet Coaster.

I couldn't possibly choose one game over another, they are just games for different moods. Planet Coaster when I want bit more freedom and realism, and Parkitect when I feel nostalgic but don't feel like launching old RCT's or miss isometric view (I'm not a good builder, so usually I feel more comfortable building with grids in isometric view, even if it is a bit restrictive). Parkitect also does not melt my computer which is a definite plus
Top Secret Researcher
#54 Old 16th May 2016 at 1:18 PM
I play Parkitect from time to time... It's quite similar to RCT3, but in a more flexible way. And it also makes you feel nostalgic. Still I wish it had more features considering gameplay. RCT3 is inbetween Planet Coaster and Parkitect. I play RCT3 and Parkitect right now, and I'm sad my PC can't support Planet Coaster. I need that thing in my life.

Also, I've totally forgotten about gameplay aspect of the game. I hope Frontier doesen't end up focusing on creative features only. What made RCT franchise fun was the interaction between you, park and the guests. I need to see something on the gameplay soon.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 17th May 2016 at 12:32 PM
I'm under the impression that Frontier will add gameplay & simulation at Beta or earliest at Alpha 3, so there's a long wait ahead. I believe the gameplay, at worst, will be pretty much the same it has been since the first RCT, only with better guest animations, and I'd be fine with that, but I certainly hope they manage to push the features forward like they've done with the scenery customization. I don't have the imagination to think up new gameplay features but I'd like some small new features, like the haulers supplying stalls in Parkitect. Maybe some sort of carnival game stalls in addition to basic food and souvenir stalls.

I'm really waiting for proper scenarios, but also a bit scared. PC runs surprisingly smoothly on my computer as long as I don't go completely overboard with the scenery items, but the guests seem to wander pretty much aimlessly at the moment. They probably don't even have any kind of needs, or preferred rides at the moment, they just randomly visit food and toilet stalls and flock to rides which happen to be on the way. I hope my computer will not start to lag once all the needs, routing etc are properly simulated.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#56 Old 24th May 2016 at 11:11 AM
Planet Coaster Alpha 2 will be out today, and to celebrate, one of the players is having a 24 hour Twitch Planet Coaster marathon. He is doing it to raise money for McMillan Cancer Care charity. Donations can be made at https://www.justgiving.com/christop...er-gamechangers and you can watch the stream at https://www.twitch.tv/theotherchrissawyer

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
Original Poster
#57 Old 26th May 2016 at 7:32 AM
I got my hands on Alpha 2 (waited out Alpha 1), and I've been messing with the terrain tools in an attempt to create a volcano, and this was the result. Abandoning the park altogether because of poor planning on my end, I'm still adjusting to the game.

Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 26th May 2016 at 10:09 AM
I guess that terrain tools are powerful, but not as easy to use as it may look. You deffinitely need to get used to quite a lot of things. The biggest selling point is modular building that lets your creativity run wild.

BTW, have they fixed anything about paths?
Theorist
Original Poster
#59 Old 27th May 2016 at 12:50 AM
I didn't have access to Alpha 1 so I'm not sure what they were like before, but they're definitely a bit finicky and kinda limited, very jagged edges and weird branches at times.

Terrain is actually kinda easy, at first it's a learning curve (the game as a whole is) because of how advanced it is but once you get a feel for it and play around you can begin to create some decent things!

I sttarted from scratch and attempted a volcano again, very pleased with how it has turned out so far:

Just gotta keep chiseling away at the sides to give it a more "eroded" feel, and work on the interior/tunnels a bit more.
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 27th May 2016 at 2:20 PM
if it were me, I wouldn't stop playing it for 10 hours straight. But I guess some people don't waste time on video games, and actually have smarter things to do.

Also, observation. While watching at the third picture, I noticed that the grass textures have bump maps, but that's not what's important. The textures look like random noise. It is possible that they used procedural generation for textures and LOD (probably paths too). That explains why game runs so smoothly.

But, like caolve said, there is also no routing and A.I. so there's almost no strain on the processor.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#61 Old 27th May 2016 at 4:57 PM
OMG you can't make your poor sim^H^H^Hpeeps ride a train through a volcano!! :o

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
Original Poster
#62 Old 29th May 2016 at 2:24 AM
Major w.i.p, I'm finally learning. Huge struggle at first, since I haven't played RCT3 in years and have been accustomed to Sims.

I think I'm getting the hang of this?
Theorist
Original Poster
#63 Old 31st May 2016 at 3:22 AM
So, here's an update, I'm just messing around, no particular goal or build style and here's what I've come up with so far in 1. the main entrance/town square 2. shaping the skyline 3. decorating pirate ship flat ride that I've dubbed forge (I didn't look at its actual name):

Top Secret Researcher
#64 Old 31st May 2016 at 8:06 PM
I would expect this to happen. The question is... why did it happen this late?

WARNING! : Mild adult content! XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Hhpy3EUKY
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 6:01 PM
I tried out the alpha... and I'm impressed, though my computer can't handle it. I pirated it... yes, I know, I should be ashamed. But I just wanted to see what's it like. There's no way that my computer can handle this.

So, MINIMUM requirements are 8GB RAM, 3.2GHz CPU, and an average GPU. Mine are 4GB DDR, 2.8GHz CPU and bellow average GPU ( I don't really understand how GPU's work). But my PC can stll run it!

The weird thing is that it runs fairly well on low graphical details, and still looks amazing. And when using an external program to take video footage, framerate does not drop. Heck, all the games that have particle system drop in framerate when fog is on the screen, but Planet Coaster has constant framerate even when spammed with around 50 VFX. It's extremely optimized.

I won't be playing it though, because it laggs like crazy on my PC. Once, when I upgrade my PC, which likely won't happen, I'll deffinitely buy this game. Hence, I'll never buy this game XD
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#66 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 6:17 PM
Thanks for that info mixa97sr - sorry to tell you but my rig hits that easily. I think I'm likely to buy.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 7:28 PM
Also, facilities are under buildings... what is the "shops" category for, then? Restaurants and malls? I can't wait to find out!
Theorist
Original Poster
#68 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 4:21 AM
This thread needs some love, here's some of my current Alpha 3 work:

If you guys have any questions or requests, let me know and I'll try to get back to you asap!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#69 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 11:04 AM
ooo - are those tram tracks?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Theorist
Original Poster
#70 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
ooo - are those tram tracks?

Yes, I made them from scratch with the in game plastic walls.

There's no transportation rides atm, but I'm assuming they'll be here in Beta along with wooden coasters.
Test Subject
#71 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 7:58 PM
Thanks for that info mixa97sr - sorry to tell you but my rig hits that easily. I think I'm likely to buy.

That sound you hear is a eager granny drooling into her Ovaltine.
Yup, yup, yup, me also set to buy come November having held back on alpha, though they look fantastic.

How you doing, Maxon? Still on your Georgy 'Porgy' orgy?

Granny Cupcake.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#72 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cathy_cupcake
That sound you hear is a eager granny drooling into her Ovaltine.
Yup, yup, yup, me also set to buy come November having held back on alpha, though they look fantastic.

How you doing, Maxon? Still on your Georgy 'Porgy' orgy?

Granny Cupcake.

@cathy_cupcake - you would not be???? Really???? OMG not heard from you in ages!

George was done a while back. I now have a serious job <sigh>.

How're you?

Test Subject
#73 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 6:54 PM
@cathy_cupcake - you would not be???? Really???? OMG not heard from you in ages!

George was done a while back. I now have a serious job <sigh>.

How're you?

Fighting for custody of the Zimmer Frame, but how did George turn out? Did he turn up trumps for you? And what you mean by 'a serious job?' Mac Donalds? Checkout at Tescoids? And <nervous> should we take this to a different board?

Meanwhile... I have pre-ordered PC but didn't realise until too late that I would have to wait until November so I have made a virtue out of necessity.
You know what will happen, of course? What with me having the attention span of a goldfish, wot some unfeeling and cruel female once said about my Sims hoods... By the time I get my hands on PC all those experts out there (and my Gawd, some of them are amazing) will have built bigger and better and a terrible enui will be born.
I'm Enui the eighth, I am.
But I am hugging an idea to my dropping breasts. A BIG idea. A BIG build, Genius and all those who manipulate mountains will gasp and wail: 'why didn't I think of that!'

Oh yes.

Granny
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#74 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cathy_cupcake
Fighting for custody of the Zimmer Frame, but how did George turn out? Did he turn up trumps for you? And what you mean by 'a serious job?' Mac Donalds? Checkout at Tescoids? And <nervous> should we take this to a different board?

Meanwhile... I have pre-ordered PC but didn't realise until too late that I would have to wait until November so I have made a virtue out of necessity.
You know what will happen, of course? What with me having the attention span of a goldfish, wot some unfeeling and cruel female once said about my Sims hoods... By the time I get my hands on PC all those experts out there (and my Gawd, some of them are amazing) will have built bigger and better and a terrible enui will be born.
I'm Enui the eighth, I am.
But I am hugging an idea to my dropping breasts. A BIG idea. A BIG build, Genius and all those who manipulate mountains will gasp and wail: 'why didn't I think of that!'

Oh yes.

Granny

Great to see you.

I'll PM you later.

Test Subject
#75 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 8:47 AM
Great to see you.
I'll PM you later.

I see you. This waiting businessis having a bad effect on me, seeing what other builders have already accomplished. I mean, whatever I build is going to look pretty scrubby and I suspect that whatever I start out to do, my mainstreet will end up looking like downtown Bilston on a wet Sunday - remeber that Sims builder who gave us the Digbeth railway arches and acres of rubble and grot? A genius, she were. Crashed my old machine though, but. I do tend to gravitate towards crumbling, smokey brickwork and reeking abandoned canal basins under rusrty iron bridges.
I mean, I mean... can you really see a coaster ride called the Haunted Cut? or The Steelworks Slasher??

No, nor can I. Ah, well. Gasworks Alley, anyone? All new wizards to go there to get their first hod or shovel.

Granny - brooding darkly.

Page 3 of 4