Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 8:36 PM Last edited by symux : 24th Feb 2016 at 1:28 AM.
Default The Transformation Challenge, or the Secluded Scientist
The Transformation Challenge

The challenge uses the GTW expansion pack and the items found in the science career. The object is to furnish your home with items created by the transformation feature on the ray gun. I tried this myself and was fascinated by the results. You’ll start with a few necessary items from the buy menu, and unlimited options from build mode.

- Create a young adult sim with any traits and abilities you want. I used an alien and created a back story for it, but you can use a human if you choose.

The background I used.
The Council of Sixam sent your sim, their top scientist to the Planet Earth to determine if it’s suitable for permanent habitation. Human contact will contaminate the research, so your sim must avoid the locals at all cost. They may travel to the alien planet whenever they wish, but they may never leave their lot or allow humans to enter.
To make this challenge work, you’ll need the upgraded items from the scientist career. You can download them from the Sims Community, or use several cheats and have your sim make them. I shared a room under ‘transformation challenge’, but the upgrades may not show when downloaded. If that’s the case, you’ll need your sim to make them.

The initial setup needs a few cheats, but the challenge doesn’t start until after your sim gets their gear. We don’t want neighbors interrupting and contaminating the site, so build an enclosure to keep your sim safe from human germs. Make it large enough to hold their gear and give them room for moving around. We’ll bulldoze the lot after the setup, so don’t worry about it looking like a warehouse.

Turn off aging and needs decay for the initial setup.
Ctrl + Shift + C
Testingcheats true
Hold down the Shift key and click the left mouse button on your sim. Pick Cheat Need, disable need decay.
- Join the scientist career – your sim will never go to work, but they need the career to do the upgrades.
Ctrl + Shift + C
- Testingcheats true
- careers.promote scientist (Continue until they become an Extraterrestrial Explorer) They are Sixam’s top scientist ...

Purchase your Gear
- bb.showhiddenobjects
- From the Electronics Misc – Buy the Invention Constructor and Satellite Dish.
- From the Activities and Skills *Chessboard* - Buy the Electroflux Wormhole Generator, and Simray.

Upgrade your items using the Inventor Constructor
- Upgrade your SimRay, Satellite Dish, and Electroflux Wormhole Generator. Place the items in your sims inventory, or family inventory. The Constructor isn’t usable by non-scientists, so it can be sold.
- Bulldoze the lot.
- Quit work
- Turn needs decay on and set lifespan to normal. To turn on needs decay; left click your sim, Cheat Need, Enable Need Decay.
- Delete the career rewards from the family inventory.
- Buy the Chemical Analyser from the ‘Activities and Skills’ section. You can complete the challenge without it, but it helps to level up your sim’s logic and gives you more items for transformation.

Set starting funds to 5,000 by using the money cheat. (5,000 Simoleans plus your gear and analyser)

Ctrl + Shift + C
Testingcheats true
Money 5000

Construct your enclosure/home using anything you want from the build menu, and a few needed items from the buy menu. The exceptions are as follows..
- Outside trash can
- Cheap toilet or shower
- A cheap sink
- Bookcase *To store all the books your sim transforms*
- Planter boxes – I did this challenge in an underground bunker, so my sim needed them for his garden.
- Wall mounted or ceiling items, because the simray won’t make them.
- A cheap bed. *Transform it to cycle through all the beds and get a nice one, or possible exercise gear.*

Buy Mode Exceptions – Available at anytime, because I never saw the gun make them.
- Wall/ceiling mounted items
- Beds – My ray gun never made one, so I assume it won’t. Your sims can upgrade and buy them.
- Planter boxes
- Book shelves
- Observation Station, because the gun won't make it or recognise it for transformation purposes.
***EDIT*** Items that cannot stand alone. An example is the computer, because you can't place it without a counter/table/desk.

The Electrofulx Wormhole generator will allow you to visit Sixam anytime you want to interact with other sims or to find collection items.

The Main Goal - Furnish your home with the ray gun

You can’t buy things, but you can use the colour change tool to make them look better. My sim eventually had a kitchen with matching cupboards, but it didn’t start that way. He had three different styles, but they were similar colours.
- Bedroom – Bed, 2 nightstands, and a dresser.
- Bathroom – Toilet, sink, and a tub or shower.
- Living Room – Sofa or a loveseat, a living chair, a desk and chair combo, and a fun activity item. Examples include tvs, stereos, games... anything.
- Kitchen – Fridge, Stove, 2 counters, sink *The gun only creates items that can stand alone, so it’ll need to be one of the counter style ones. You may wish to build a larger kitchen, and the gun will give you many options.
- You may need to add a children’s room if you get abducted or married. Those things can happen, but you could prevent/encourage it with the satellite.

Optional Goals
- Complete a collection
- Complete an Aspiration
- Have at least one child and furnish their bedroom with toys.

Good luck and have fun.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 10:54 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out how we're supposed to get items to transform. What did you do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 2:12 AM Last edited by symux : 11th Jan 2016 at 2:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by The Sims Challenger
I'm having trouble figuring out how we're supposed to get items to transform. What did you do?

The easiest way I found was with plants. The microscope samples are transmutable, and you can collect them at least twice/day from each plant. I think it might be every eight hours, but I didn't test it.

**Edit** You can collect a microscope sample every 5 hours without affecting the plant's quality.
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th May 2019 at 5:06 AM Last edited by compcat : 7th May 2019 at 5:17 AM.
I was right about to post a very similar challenge but I decided to google "Simray Challenge" and it looks like you got to it first. Great minds think alike I guess. Yours looks a lot more detailed though, so I might need to give those parameters a try. Anyways, if anyone is interested in a different rendition of this challenge, this is what I was going to post:

Quote:
Simray Challenge:

1. You start on an empty lot
2. You start with 0 money
3. You start with a Simray upgraded for “Transform Object”
4. You cannot use Buy Mode (Build Mode is still allowed)
5. You cannot use objects outside the home lot
6. You cannot get a career
7. You cannot use the phone for services or purchasing anything

The idea with this challenge is to try and survive with just the Simray, without being able to purchase objects in “Buy Mode.” So you will be forced to gather collectables and use those as a basis for transformation. Unfortunately some critical objects have never shown up for me, such as refrigerators and beds, but that gives you an idea of how tough this challenge is. If you aren’t quick and clever you can easily starve to death. I’ve done this challenge a handful of times though so I can say that it’s doable, and I find it to be a lot of fun. The randomness and difficulty really breaks you out of your normal routine and you end up with a hodge-podge of neat items that you might’ve previously overlooked.

You might want to end the challenge at some point before continuing a legacy. For story purposes maybe you can play as an alien that crash-landed on earth, and when you get enough resources (money) by salvaging (selling) generated objects you can make one Buy Mode exception to build a rocket, and when you eventually make it to Sixam on the rocket that can be like making it back to your home planet and the challenge can be considered successfully completed. There are a lot of possibilities for storytelling, but I personally find it makes the most sense to be isolated on the Windenburg island with all the lots bulldozed because otherwise it’s hard to rationalize why your character wouldn’t rely on objects from other lots.

To get a Simray with “Transform Object”:

1. CTRL-SHIFT-C, “bb.showhiddenobjects”
2. Purchase a “Simray” (it’s in Activities and Skills - Knowledge)
3. Purchase an “Invention Constructor” (it’s in Electronics — Misc)
4. Drag the Simray into the Invention Constructor
5. Join the Scientist career
6. CTRL-SHIFT-C, “testingcheats true”
7. CTRL-SHIFT-C, “careers.promote scientist” and repeat once more to get to level 3 (might be “careers.promote adult_active_scientist” if you have Strangerville)
8. Click on the Simray and select “Upgrade: Transform Object”
9. Put Simray in inventory, delete Invention Constructor, quit job.