Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 8:02 PM
Routing with Double Sidewalks?
Any routing repercussions of having a road+sidewalk?

Also, do objects on roads/sidewalks get their collision boxes included in the routing? I.e. a rock on the path, would a sim route around the rock or would they go through it?

Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 8:50 PM
I have places in a world I'm currently working on where there are double sidewalks, like in your picture. They have not created any routing problems in testing that I am aware of. As far as objects on paths/elsewhere, if - when I turn on the routing view - the item has a red box around it I consider that sims won't go through it. I'm not sure if that is absolutely correct or not. Perhaps someone else will have more information. I also try to place objects so that they are in between the white routing lines, if possible. For an object on a sidewalk, as long as it doesn't break the blue (?) routing line, sims should still use the sidewalk correctly, I think. Hope that helps!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 7:40 PM
I've got lights on my sidewalks and sims walk around them. I also have double sidewalks in a few places that don't seem to have created any routing issues.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 4:50 AM
Cool, thanks! On double sidewalks, do sims prefer one over the other?

There are some parts that have 'fake' parking (basically the road sidewalk is asphalt as well, and I'd like to know if they would route more on the road's sidewalks or on the sidewalks. I think it'll probably depend on where they're headed.

Also- do sidewalks need an intersection when they end?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Also- do sidewalks need an intersection when they end?

Nope. You only need them if you want to have your sidewalk branch out in multiple directions.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 12:15 AM
Thanks!

One more thing- do roads override the no-sims/no-camera routing paint? Or is routing blocked like on the terrain.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Thanks!

One more thing- do roads override the no-sims/no-camera routing paint? Or is routing blocked like on the terrain.

This isn't something I've ever tested, and so I don't know definitively if they do or not. I personally have never taken the chance of painting under roads or sidewalks. If there's a sidewalk or road I'm going to place in No Man's Land, I leave a pixel of blank space along each side of the road or sidewalk when I'm painting the routing. The reason why is that I know that routing *does break* for bridges if you paint under them, so I am assuming it works the same way with roads.
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 2:52 AM
Sims non-routing paint under sidewalks or roads will block routing. The blue (?) line may be in the center of the road/sidewalk, but the circles overlaying the line will be missing. If I have any non-routing paint where I intend to lay a road or sidewalk, I erase it first. Or, after laying the road/sidewalk, I remove a strip of non-routing paint under the road/sidewalk, refresh the routing, then fine tune the non-routing paint square by square. This works well, for example, if you have a sidewalk going up a hill and you don't want sims to venture off the sidewalk. Good luck with your project!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 8:41 AM
Thanks! The main reason for the roads question is because I have decorative roads which are close to the world's edge- I don't want sims venturing out on them.

I wonder though- will the deco taxis still drive on non-routable roads? It would be nice if they did, but I doubt that they would.