Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 10:16 PM
Default What happened to LadyHayny?
What happened to her? Her tumblr got deleted or something.. anyone know?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 10:24 PM
Another Tumblr had problems the other day. Is someone reporting Tumblr's if that is possible? Who was the other one again?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Another Tumblr had problems the other day. Is someone reporting Tumblr's if that is possible? Who was the other one again?

Sssvitlans, a find blog.. I hope Lady Hayny didnt delete :c
Forum Resident
#4 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 12:47 AM
Is LadyHayny a cc finds blog too? I've heard tumblrs been purging accounts that link to cc with adfly attached. It's not my circle but seems accurate to me.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 3:44 PM
Really? Is Tumblr against adfly?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 4:00 PM
I don't think they're against it. I think it's just the people who report those posts are against it and that tumblr simply deletes them because someone told them so. There seems to be a lot of people who seems to hate those adfly links.
Smeg Head
#7 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
I don't think they're against it. I think it's just the people who report those posts are against it and that tumblr simply deletes them because someone told them so. There seems to be a lot of people who seems to hate those adfly links.

With half of them having your anti-virus chucking out messages for blocked scam and phishing that comes with adfly, it think there's a genuine concern to have them shunned.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 4:31 PM

Do tumblr just delete things when someone complains one bit? So it's all just a complaining culture then, or culture of people who complain? Sounds lovely.
Virtual gardener
#9 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Coolspear1
With half of them having your anti-virus chucking out messages for blocked scam and phishing that comes with adfly, it think there's a genuine concern to have them shunned.

Hmm yeah I can see why. I regularly had adfly links linking me to a different page, which also happened to be one of those annoying ads. But then, I'm really curious of why tumblr would delete the CC finds blogs and not the original blogs who happen to link their downloads with adfly links. (or well delete those with them as well). A CC finds blog basically reblogs CC, they don't create things so I don't see why people would report CC finds blogs and not the original simblr creator (Unless they deleted their blog, then I can understand why someone would report a post from a CC finds though )

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Do tumblr just delete things when someone complains one bit? So it's all just a complaining culture then, or culture of people who complain? Sounds lovely.

I have no idea how their report system works but I guess it's something like Youtube's? If a lot of people is reporting the blog with the same exact reason, tumblr will probably just delete the blog? Although I really hope that they would first ask the owner of the blog about the reports and stuff instead of just deleting a blog and waiting for the owner of the blog to tell them that either the reports were false or that there was no reason to delete someone else's blog.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
Is LadyHayny a cc finds blog too? I've heard tumblrs been purging accounts that link to cc with adfly attached. It's not my circle but seems accurate to me.

No, she posts Gothic cc.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 9:03 PM
I'm sure people report posts with links to AdFly but that isn't the reason blogs with AdFly links get deleted. (OR.. it's not the only reason, I'm not tumblr nor tumblr staff so.. who knows.) The powers that be at tumblr consider AdFly to be malware/link to malware, which is why the deletes happen. I think I read it's actually in their posting rules to not use AdFly links.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Sssvitlans, a find blog.. I hope Lady Hayny didnt delete :c

That tumblr seems fine? It's up for me.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
That tumblr seems fine? It's up for me.

Sssvitlans is, LadyHayny's is not.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 9:32 PM
Bummer.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Scholar
#15 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 12:15 AM

It's in Tumblr's TOS that you are not supposed to use Adfly and other services like that. It's also in Google's for Blogger, but people seem to get away with it more easily there.

Tumblr is deleting blogs that have Adfly links in their posts and the blogs of people who have reblogged posts with them in it. I personally hate Adfly and I won't download from people who use it. It seems to be a new trend these days, because I don't remember this back during the Sims 3 days or else it was a smaller portion of the community and not as noticeable.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#16 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 2:54 AM
Yeah, AdFly has gotten really, really popular. I've still downloaded stuff because I figure with ad-block and a skipper, why not? Then I read that "they" still get paid no matter what, which makes sense because clicking the link doesn't skip AdFly altogether.. just the waiting time. Which means I'll probably skip anything with a link now because it should be up to ME to decide if I want someone to get any amount of money when I download something, fractions of a penny or not and no matter where the money is actually coming from. (Although it's mostly TS3 and TS4 stuff hidden behind the links.)
Scholar
#17 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Yeah, AdFly has gotten really, really popular. I've still downloaded stuff because I figure with ad-block and a skipper, why not? Then I read that "they" still get paid no matter what, which makes sense because clicking the link doesn't skip AdFly altogether.. just the waiting time. Which means I'll probably skip anything with a link now because it should be up to ME to decide if I want someone to get any amount of money when I download something, fractions of a penny or not and no matter where the money is actually coming from. (Although it's mostly TS3 and TS4 stuff hidden behind the links.)

Exactly. I actually donate to custom content creators where I use a lot of their things, especially if I used their creations back when I was playing Sims 3 - seems like the right thing to do. I do not like being forced into Adfly, because more and more I'm finding things I download that look nothing like the previews when I open them up in S4S before putting them in my game. People edit out even small things, I'm not just talking about overly Photoshopped previews. It's very annoying.

And I don't feel sorry for sites like Hallow Sims (never used their stuff anyway, because I like Maxis Match) who put their items behind not just one, but two and three money generating links. Most of the items not even their own original work. I just find it appalling. I know making custom content isn't a breeze. I have a friend who does a lot with 3D modeling and Blender. I know it's not easy. But - really? I understand folks need money, but there's making a few extra dollars and just being greedy and acting entitled. I'm seeing more and more of the latter and I hate it.
Scholar
#18 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 4:24 AM
Does AdFly have the potential to give your computer malware? Not really familiar with it. I've had similar stuff when streaming television shows, clicking the play button and getting a pop up ad, even with ad-blocker and pop-ups disabled. Is it similar to that?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Scholar
#19 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Does AdFly have the potential to give your computer malware? Not really familiar with it. I've had similar stuff when streaming television shows, clicking the play button and getting a pop up ad, even with ad-blocker and pop-ups disabled. Is it similar to that?

Some say it won't happen, others say yes, they've gotten malware and didn't click on the ad. I've seen people say they get full screen ad popups that lock up their browser and I can believe it! I had that happen to me the other day just downloading something from Mediafire. Blasted Mediafire gets past my adblocker about 90% of the time lately, so I've decided that from now on I'm avoiding downloads from Mediafire because of that.

So I suppose it depends on who's talking. Creators (and their fanbase that defend them) who use Adfly say no, it can't happen - but, I believe it can.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 11:40 AM
The thing with adfly is that it is believed to give your computer malware. However, the biggest problem is, that some countries, like mine, ( I am an Indian, living in India) have blocked adfly. Thus, we cannot access adfly links, and it is quite irritating, to be true. .
Scholar
#21 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 1:10 PM
All those ads are ripe for malware and virus infestation - it's why I use noscript to block all scrips I don't personally allow to run in my browser. Besides being annoying as heck, adfly and similar can be hijacked and ultimately hijack your browser and subsequently your computer. There are creators now that give out adfly free links which is great - I'd rather support those creators with a donation than having the security of my computer possibly compromised. I'm not sure how the sites like mediafire work but are they really required to put those adfly things on their downloads? Because many creators don't use them. Honestly, I support creators on patreon, and it's less intrusive and way more rewarding to both creators and simmers to use a donation button. Sure there are ways to get around adfly but the point is we shouldn't have to. I low key lose respect for creators if they start to over use adfly or similar. Especially if they start to kick you off their sites if you use a blocker. It's like - they don't want to charge outright for their content but still want to make money. I get it, but I don't agree with it.
I honestly don't fault tumblr for deleting certain blogs. It's sad that they lose the blogs though - maybe they could display a warning instead?

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
dodgy builder
#22 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 1:52 PM
They probably send warnings, but it requires the blogger to be on frequently. Like with Lunas things, if they are hardly ever there, it might be too late when they finally are.

Tumblr might also have requirements to be met and the blogger might not be prepared to meet them.

Sometimes it might even be easier to make a new one.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 7:59 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th Feb 2017 at 9:28 PM.
Some say it won't happen, others say yes, they've gotten malware and didn't click on the ad. I've seen people say they get full screen ad popups that lock up their browser and I can believe it! I had that happen to me the other day just downloading something from Mediafire. Blasted Mediafire gets past my adblocker about 90% of the time lately, so I've decided that from now on I'm avoiding downloads from Mediafire because of that.

So I suppose it depends on who's talking. Creators (and their fanbase that defend them) who use Adfly say no, it can't happen - but, I believe it can.

Some ways you can get around Mediafire ... for NOW. Mediafire has been known to do everything in its power to override these methods, and once, it even overrode NoScript for a time, until NoScript sorted that nonsense out. And yes ... I have found myself with nasties from both Mediafire AND Adf.ly.

1. AdBlock and NoScript in Firefox. Open the link in an incognito window, just to make sure. I have opened Mediafire links in Chrome in an incognito window using AdBlock without incident, but it may be due to some ad-skipping extension on my end. Since I have a couple of them, good question as to which.

I find I can never be too careful with Mediafire. it's messed up my computer more than once. Fortunately, it's more nagware and adware that I've been able to remove with some effort, but still, I shouldn't have to do that in the first place! If you get pop-unders such as that Roblox game, those don't cause problems. It's some of those other ads.

2. SO FAR, SafeBrowse seems to work as a backup for Mediafire, Shorte.st AND Adf.ly. I also use an adf.ly skipper as a backup. I would consider extensions outside of NoScript to be backups, though. I have gone through at least a dozen extensions that supposedly should have blocked these ads, but darn, Mediafire is persistent! It overrode just about all of them in time; sometimes right away, sometimes months later.

If I know I won't be using anything with adf.ly, shorte.st, etc. I disable the extensions. I might be more aggressive about not using any sites with adf.ly and by default, shorte.st anymore, though, now that I know that people are getting paid anyway. I think it's scuzzy to expose people to viruses so you can get some spare change, and I see no reason to reward bad behavior. Time to start actually making a list, rather than trusting my memory. I have noticed that I've let a site or two slip under the radar too often recently.

3. I know that some people use GreaseMonkey to combat these pests, but others can better help on that.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Virtual gardener
#24 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 8:18 PM
That's some interesting information you have there gazania! I've been using the 'adf.ly skipper 'working'' (for chrome) extension which seems to block most of adly's links. It won't work with short.st though! (Which... the name kinda gives away already ), as explained in your reply. I've been using adblocker plus for ages and it seems to block most of mediafire's ads. (or the ones with the weird pop ups about your computer being attacked by some virus even though it really is some weird pop up message that you somehow can't exit... yeah those..) I haven't used greasemonkey myself, I might give it a try though...
Instructor
#25 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
It's a shame when harmless blogs and accounts can easily be deactivated when a bunch of "haters" gather up to cry wolf. Like, why is this even a thing?

Because support doesnt really check, i guess its nearly impossible for then to check due to the sheer volume of reports for then to check every case and since they are that large, they just do it because they can and have no real impact on the company.

Of course there is harm were many of those "harmless blogs" are nothing but spam, heck one of Salem Tumblr was taken over by a spam so you can hardly blame then for taking the heavy hand when they likely have hundred of thousand of blogs being reported daily and since they arent obligated to investigate before terminate then (and then having the name being taken over by spam) they will just do it, this is why "its a thing".
Page 1 of 2