Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Every place in america has some bad and some good things.

Of course, just like everywhere in the world, including where GP lives.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 5:25 PM
I'm sure there's some bad things here but I can't really think of any off the top of my head. None that are our fault, anyway.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#28 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I'm sure there's some bad things here but I can't really think of any off the top of my head. None that are our fault, anyway.

It must be wonderful to live in a country where there are no homicides, rapes, thefts, poor, homeless, addicted, overdoses, corrupt politicians or other dishonest folks, etc., etc., etc. and if so they are not the fault of anyone who lives there.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 6:42 PM
Those aren't bad things, those are facts of life. You can't eliminate crime, greed, jealousy, substance abuse et cetera. You can only hope to reduce them to a point where they're no longer a big issue.
Bad things are poor education, a lack of healthcare, a racist police force, science denial, gang wars, for-profit prisons, fraudulent elections, for-profit media, and the ridiculous notion that any of the aforementioned things are desireable.

All those things are a lot rarer where I'm from, and some are practically nonexistent. Something which can't be said about reality television or libertarianism, I'm afraid.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#30 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 8:21 PM
Back on topic please.
Please remember you are on an international forum GrijzePilion. You may have your gripes about certain countries but please keep them to yourself. If you are not here to talk about The Sims, then you are in the wrong place. Take your politics to the Daily Mail, not here.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#31 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Take your politics to the Daily Mail, not here.

Ew. Double ew. The world would be a whole lot less partisan if discussing politics meant having to go through the Daily fucking Mail.
So how about them Sims, eh?

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#32 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 10:30 PM
And a Chinese one, too. It might be an eastern trait; I doubt any Frenchman could get particularly upset over any inaccuracies, let alone a Nordic who has played Aurora Skies.

Scandinavian frequently talk about americans lack of history and culture. Some scandinavians who care would just put it on that account. When a native company makes movies about historic events, if it's wrong they will be critizised heavily for it. Americans on the other hand is judged by a different scale

About Harvee ... no one is ever what they say on the internett

Edit: and the French are even worse
Mad Poster
#33 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 5:17 AM
EA's goal is to make a game, not documentaries. They have used stereotypical things to depict the 3 cultures selected for WA. I do not feel they are done in any manner that is critical of those cultures. They have used universal symbols/ representations/etc. that are associated with those cultures, even if not necessarily the most current or most accurate. I cannot imagine anyone being offended by what was done. Other than fake Harvee! LOL
Test Subject
#34 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 5:44 AM
I've always figured The Sims is not set on Earth anyway, at least not our Earth. Not when the years are only 28 or so days long (7 days per season), and kids grow up in 2 years.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 5:53 AM
If we try to make sense of the Sims we will never succeed, that is for sure! LOL
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#37 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 11:52 PM Last edited by Don Babilon : 19th Dec 2017 at 12:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I think it's Sunset Valley, Tobago.
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...014%2022.50.jpg
Interesting to see that the place in Tobago has something that appears to be named Sex Cottage at around the location of Agnes Crumplebottom's home in TS3...

ETA: As regards the other places, while they are nothing like authentic representations, there are still some elements that sort of ring a bell.
While I worked, very briefly, in Cairo we took trips south towards Memphis and Saqqara and some of the villages along the canal south of Giza do have elements that recur in Al Simhara (if you ignore the filth). The geography on the other hand is completely off: the Sphinx is below and in front of the three pyramids (when seen from Cairo/the river) and smaller than in TS3, the Hatshepsut temple is somewhere completely different as are Abu Simbel and Karnak and the sea is certainly still very far away from all of these locations.

Champs les Sims, on the other hand, reminds me of places in Franche Comté, Ornans in particular, which is, however nowhere near Paris.

And I think that San Marino was the inspiration for Monte Vista, which is, technically, not even Italy.

Disclaimer: I am neither Egyptian, nor French, nor Italian and know nothing about having any traces of these three in my blood.
dodgy builder
#39 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
EA's goal is to make a game, not documentaries. They have used stereotypical things to depict the 3 cultures selected for WA. I do not feel they are done in any manner that is critical of those cultures. They have used universal symbols/ representations/etc. that are associated with those cultures, even if not necessarily the most current or most accurate. I cannot imagine anyone being offended by what was done. Other than fake Harvee! LOL

People is offended of unfair and fawlty portrayal of their country all the time. Like recently Turkey was so offended of being portrayed as the enemy in a NATO exersize they would't accept an appology even. The exersize was about members of the organisation turning on each other.

It's natural to be offended if Egyptians are all portrayed as wearing togaes when the they are far more modern. It gives the impression of them being oldfashioned and hopelessly traditional.

Let me take an example closer to home. Several years ago a same (Lapp) Mikkel Gaup, made a movie from an hot island in southern Norway. It was so brilliant. Hollywood wanted to make a similar story themselves, and of course it was a complete flopp. They didn't manage to make the story plausable in the us.

Lets take the Vikings as an example. If Hollywood made a another highprofile big movie about the Vikings, and made them wear helmets with horns, Scandinavians would be offended.

Culture matters, it's identity and often a matter of great pride to people. It's not always sure that us'ians can come and be forgiven for silly mistakes if it's going against people's view on what happened.

For that reason I'm also apprehensive about the movie Netflix is going to make from our massacre. Will it be offensive?
Mad Poster
#40 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:29 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 19th Dec 2017 at 10:44 AM.
That's definitely true. People have a legitimate reason to feel offended if "stupid foreigners" misrepresent or simplify their culture.

Again, Dutchies don't take it personally but sometimes it's just so bad that it's more than just a bit cringey. Like this scene from The Blacklist where apparently, the 18th century is still in full swing.
Or The Hitman's Bodyguard. It's a film which starts off perfectly fine, but then gets lost somewhere in Eastern Europe the moment the guys leave Amsterdam. And then it just gets increasingly unrealistic for some reason, but they never forget to rub The Hague's unconvincing CGI skyline in your face.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#41 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 7:38 PM
As said, this is a game and not meant to be an accurate description of the places represented and in current times. I do not see plant sims or zombies or whoever wandering my neighborhood. Movies, books, games, etc, take artistic license and are meant for entertainment. Unless something is presented as fact and not fiction it should not be held to that standard. If something is offensive, that is one thing. If something is not an accurate representation of something, so be it.

"People have a legitimate reason to feel offended if "stupid foreigners" misrepresent or simplify their culture." Good, so we will see no more negative comments about the US on this site. And we should not about anywhere.
dodgy builder
#42 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:23 PM
"People have a legitimate reason to feel offended if "stupid foreigners" misrepresent or simplify their culture." Good, so we will see no more negative comments about the US on this site. And we should not about anywhere.

Ah, so now you're offended? Then I guess you know how it feels. I didn't say stupid though, I guess the us has the same amount of intelligent people as the rest of the countries on earth.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:26 PM
I am not offended by anything in Sims. And any negative comments anyone makes about other people's countries are inappropriate here or anywhere.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Ah, so now you're offended? Then I guess you know how it feels.

A little earlier on I wrote a short...essay about some issues I had with Daisylee's comment, but ultimately decided against posting it.
You just said it better than I ever could have, and without any f- or s-words.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#45 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:54 PM
A little earlier on I wrote a short...essay about some issues I had with Daisylee's comment, but ultimately decided against posting it.
You just said it better than I ever could have, and without any f- or s-words.

I am sure it would have been a joy to read, and probably earned you another ban. Some of us would rather stay on this thread topic though as this thread has derailed too far already.
Forum Resident
#46 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:01 PM
As said, this is a game and not meant to be an accurate description of the places represented and in current times. I do not see plant sims or zombies or whoever wandering my neighborhood. Movies, books, games, etc, take artistic license and are meant for entertainment. Unless something is presented as fact and not fiction it should not be held to that standard. If something is offensive, that is one thing. If something is not an accurate representation of something, so be it.

I agree with this. I would never expect Sims and the aspects of some cultures that it had drawn on for inspiration, to give the impression of other countries within Sim-land, to be true to life.
I don't know why everyone gets so damned offended at the drop of a hat lately. It's as if people actually actively go looking for things to be offended by.

Even in this day and age, I've seen some people ask if Australia has kangaroos roaming the streets, and even once saw someone ask if we had running water.
They assume that wildlife runs rampant here and that we're all completely backward.

Or when Americans try to emulate our accents in moves or TV shows, and they all come off sounding like they have some kind of strangled British hybrid accent...I don't find this kind of stuff offensive, I think its highly amusing.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Mad Poster
#47 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pary
I agree with this. I would never expect Sims and the aspects of some cultures that it had drawn on for inspiration, to give the impression of other countries within Sim-land, to be true to life.
I don't know why everyone gets so damned offended at the drop of a hat lately. It's as if people actually actively go looking for things to be offended by.

Even in this day and age, I've seen some people ask if Australia has kangaroos roaming the streets, and even once saw someone ask if we had running water.
They assume that wildlife runs rampant here and that we're all completely backward.

I feel like your second point here kind of defeats your first. Sure, you can't expect everything to be perfectly accurate and true to life, but maybe people wouldn't go around asking stupid questions like that if the entertainment industry put any actual effort into making other places (that aren't America) seem even slightly accurate.

And sure, it goes the other way around too. Over here, "Americans" are usually fat, dumb and incredibly loud, and they drive pickup trucks and vote Trump, but we don't pretend it's in any way accurate. We all know it's not true. All the Americans I know are really cool people, and they're humble and down-to-earth. Everyone knows that. And sure, we jokingly hate on Chinese tourists because everyone who isn't a Chinese tourist jokingly(?) hates Chinese tourists, but that doesn't mean anything.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#48 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:09 PM
I am from California and we know everyone here is blond and surfs, right? Nope. LOL I watched a show years ago about when the musical Chicago was taken to London and they were trying to teach the performers American accents. It was fun see.

There are some investigation shows I watch here and the setting is supposed to be say Georgia and I look and say that is so clearly filmed in California. Or shows set in California that are so clearly filmed elsewhere. I just shrug and move on.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:13 PM
I am from California and we know everyone here is blond and surfs, right? Nope. LOL I watched a show years ago about when the musical Chicago was taken to London and they were trying to teach the performers American accents. It was fun see.

If you're from California, OBVIOUSLY you're either a valley girl or a Mexican immigrant. Everyone else isn't actually from California, they just live there. Duh.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#50 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:14 PM
If you're from California, OBVIOUSLY you're either a valley girl or a Mexican immigrant. Everyone else isn't actually from California, they just live there. Duh.

I will give you a funny on that one as soooooo true about stereotypes. I came from Mexico, now live in the valley, and surf every day singing Beach Boy songs. Nope. LOL
Page 2 of 4