Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 5:31 AM Last edited by tunafishfish : 18th Jan 2018 at 4:01 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game always crashes on a certain day
My current save file is like Ground Hog's Day. I get to the last day of Zafira's child stage right before everyone goes to sleep and the game starts to stutter and then I get an error message that "The Sims 3 is not working... click to close" the window that pops up is a windows box and not one of the Sims' boxes.

I downloaded the crash analyzer and it said that my game crashes were due to CC. So then I ran dashboard and deleted the files that came up as "corrupted."

Then I loaded that file up and it was running fine for about an hour and then it hits ~midnight on that day and it crashes with the same error message. This time I started going through the check list and deleted all the caches/thumbs/etc except World Cache because I don't feel comfortable doing that. I took the mods folder out, launched the launcher, and selected "run without custom content," and started a fresh file in Sunset Valley as directed. I built a house and decorated it and then let them free roam for like 15 real world minutes. Then I saved and quit. What do I do now? Should I put the mods folder back in and reload with CC? How do I know whether it's the file or something I downloaded?

I use Windows 10, have 8 GB RAM, and an AMD A12 processor. My computer is brand new, just got it on Black Friday and it runs like a dream for everything else and runs my other games with no problems.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
isn't it pretty obvious? that sim is corrupted. u can try using NRAAS MC to reset him. if that doesnt work, save the family down into the household bin and then reload from the bin.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. It hadn't occurred to me that a corrupted sim could do that. I had thought it was one of the bunk beds, since another sim was unable to get into the top bunk and then the game crashed, but then I reset the lot and was able to move on. I'll let you know later.
Alchemist
#4 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 2:46 PM
The Dashboard is not 100% accurate, so you shouldn't trust it 100% either. You can still have bad cc in your game without Dashboard telling you so. It's nothing new and has happened to me many times. I use the Process Monitor as a backup to Dashboard, even though it's not always helpful, either. Also, Dashboard doesn't read the CC you have in your launcher.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 1:55 AM
Mixed news. I loaded that save, I reset Zafira using MC on Sunday night at about 11:00. She is due to age up sometime on Tuesday. Then, I reset the lot because things are acting buggy around the grill and patio table. Then I saved. The next day, Mom decides to make hotdogs for breakfast on the grill and the whole day "continue grilling" is the first thing on everyone's queue, including the dogs', and cannot be cancelled. I reset the lot again and it's still there. Then Mom and Dad roll out to their jobs and the game crashed. This time it crashed at 3:15 PM on Monday instead of at 11:57 PM. I think I should just abandon that file even though I enjoy those sims.
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 1:58 AM
What type of files were listed as corrupted? If they were items that were placed in world when you may very well benefit from clearing the world cache. It will automatically regenerate again anyways. Else you can try saving the family/house to the bin, completely clearing the lot and placing them from the bin again.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 3:52 AM
I loaded it up again after the last time and caked her up. The game crashed not too long after, at 3:07 PM.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 3:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
What type of files were listed as corrupted? If they were items that were placed in world when you may very well benefit from clearing the world cache. It will automatically regenerate again anyways. Else you can try saving the family/house to the bin, completely clearing the lot and placing them from the bin again.

There were a few CAS parts no one was using and some clutter. It's an overstuffed house of 7 sims and 4 dogs, would I still be able to save a copy?
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 5:09 PM
@nitromon @orose I did as you suggested and saved the household to the bin, evicted them, placed them back in the house and it worked! My game has progressed to Tuesday at noon!! This is so exciting! Thank you both so much!

@varpunen Thank you so much for your help!
Instructor
#12 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 9:03 PM
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 4:01 PM
Maybe I was a bit hasty there about it being resolved. It's still crashing down to desktop, but on Tuesday instead. Would saving a copy of Zafira, killing her, and placing the copy work? Would I be able to set the relationships correctly via MC? I've gotten really attached to this family and this concept. I've got plans for 2 more generations, at least, I don't want to abandon this file.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 4:04 PM
- sim is corrupted by a corrupted mod: This means either or neither above solution would work. You can only fix this by removing the corresponding broken cc AND do a reset fix on the sim.

Would this mean something they were wearing like clothes, hair, makeup, or skin? Or could this be anything?
Instructor
#15 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 9:12 PM
@tunafishfish Out of curiosity, if you run the crash log analyzer on the game again, what does it say? The reason I ask is because sometimes after I've cleared a CC error, when I run crash log analyzer again, it gives me another issue from the same crash, so it appears that there can be multiple issues interacting and causing a crash. Usually for me it's first CC and occasionally memory afterwards (if I've been playing too long without saving usually).

Also, have you tried doing the 50/50 method on your CC? If it's still crashing and if the analyzer shows CC, then there could well be something else in your save that's messing things up.
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 11:03 PM
It's still saying CC, so I guess that means I didn't completely resolve the problem.

So I compress my CC, usually by category so a sample file name would be "clothes_child_female" would that make things harder to figure out? So suppose I take out "clothes_child_female" and the game doesn't crash, would I then put in half of the folder and see if it crashes? Just making sure I understand the process.

Also I forgot to mention this in the OP, but the Mom's LTW is "Surrounded by Family" and Zafira is the 5th child to age up. I thought it was about the birthday, but could it be about Dorothy attaining her LTW?
Site Helper
#18 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 3:33 AM
Couldn't it still be CC related if there is a bad outfit that is for the new age category? And the game is encountering that outfit while looking for the weird new clothes for the sim to age into?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 2:28 PM
I'm tempted to create a new file with an adult sim and a child sim and age up the child and see if the game crashes. As far as I know, it is just the one file. If it's a problem related to age-up wouldn't it crash every file?
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 4:47 PM
I loaded up Hidden Springs and selected the Cho family. Then I caked up the two children and let the game run. It did not crash. Next, I'm going to load up the problem file and change the mom's LTW on the idea that maybe it's her and not the child that's the problem and let the child age up at 8:30 without a cake.

Edit: this is my last ditch effort. I'm cutting my losses and playing my Just No Mil file I've got a nice girl from a dysfunctional family to marry off to the mean Frio brother and a MIL to kick out of the house.
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 4:40 AM
Thanks, Nitro. Zafira might be my favorite, she's the youngest and the only one that looks like her mother. More importantly, she looks a lot like my real life daughter, and while I know Zafira is nothing more than a program and some pixels... it feels wrong.

Anyway, I was looking through my saves folder and found that I had a backup file from January 7. So I renamed it and started it up. It seems like I'm loosing a lot of game play, but it took me a while to realize that the game was always crashing on the same day. I loaded it up and things are really weird. when sims stand in a certain spot in the backyard they act like they could be at any part of the house. I had one sim walk to the spot and port into the upstairs bathroom to take a shower, then she stepped out of the shower and was in the back yard again. Then she took a step and ported back up to use the toilet. The whole time she was getting cold moodlets. Another sim stood in that spot and then levitated to the ceiling when I selected her, she had the action "sleep until fully rested..." showing a bunk bed. There's a similar place on the inside where they'll interact with something that is outside as if they were there too. I took out my mods/packages/build and mods/packages/buy. I don't care if my house looks weird! I just want things to work!
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:56 PM
If that older save, the child is not corrupted. you can "save" that child into the bin and then load up your present save, replace it with that child and connect the relationship through MC.

How would I know if she were corrupted in the old file? Something definitely seems off, but seems house-related.
Page 1 of 2