Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 2:48 AM
Have you tried your game without any CC yet?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#27 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Have you tried your game without any CC yet?

@joandsarah77 - Yes, forgot to post about that. I disabled cc and removed stuff that I was sure wasn't affecting NPCs from the Downloads folder. Game still crashed. I suspect I corrupted the neighborhood, maybe saved while a sim was on the phone or something? I am testing again now with fresh neighborhoods (removed Neighborhoods folder, game regenerated it).

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Mad Poster
#28 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 4:26 AM
From my understanding, repair is the same as uninstalling/re-installing, and you would use it for the same purpose (getting mistakes out of your instillation files.)

It may help if your issue is in the instillation files, but it won't help if your issue is in your document files.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#29 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 4:38 AM
@Orilon - Thank you, that helps. Do you know if repair will give me the latest version of the Origin game, the updated one? Do I need to do an update after a repair or does repair use the same version of files as update?

---------------------------------

After restoring neighborhoods to unplayed state, I managed to crash the game by trying to go from the options screen to the main menu. *cries* However, I did get sloppy and put some cc in, community time, Nopke's shadow fix, and CEP. That's it. That's all the cc I have. I know I should have tested with none first but would that cc crash the game? Shadows were off when I started so Nopke's stuff wouldn't even be used. I didn't send any sims to community lots yet. I can't imagine CEP crashing stuff. I do also have a bunch of CEP extras from several MTS creators but would that crash anything? Going to test again without the cc and will regenerate neighborhoods again...

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#30 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:09 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 19th Jan 2018 at 6:30 AM.
Still crashing when a sim spends time on a community lot.

* no CC in Downloads and CC disabled to boot, no CEP even
* fresh neighborhood (removed Neighborhoods folder, regenerated neighborhood)
* Windows 10, Ultimate Collection, updated from Origin
* windowed mode -w, and CPU throttling -CPUCount:1 on shortcut
* compatibility mode for XP service pack 2 and running as Admin
* NVidia Gefore 1060 6gb, using leefish nvidia txtr fix file with tweak to allow sim shadows but I have turned off shadows in game
* config log says hardware rendering is on, card found in database, using Kiri's 1744 memory fix, high settings, no dual card
* I did remove the TM from the Documents folder, edited the registry to use the folder with no TM,
game seems to find all its files far as I can tell, was crashing before I removed the TM

I have not yet tried the 4gb fix. Did that help folks who were having crashes? I can see the game running out of memory and crashing but how is it filling up 2gb of memory just sending Nina Caliente to Commandgo??? How is it crashing just switching from Settings view to Main Menu view in neighborhood view? I did do that shortly after adding 3 unis, downtown, and bluewater to pleasantville but was that too taxing for the game? Is it graphics settings after all? I'm really out of ideas here. :/

I have not tried playing at 800x600 with yucky low graphics settings. Can try that and if there's no crash, then the graphics are overtaxing the game. But if I can't play at reasonable res with high graphics settings, what's the point? Don't mind me grumping, I am grateful to all for the help. Anyone have anything else to try?

Lab Assistant
#31 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
@Orilon - Thank you, that helps. Do you know if repair will give me the latest version of the Origin game, the updated one? Do I need to do an update after a repair or does repair use the same version of files as update?

---------------------------------

After restoring neighborhoods to unplayed state, I managed to crash the game by trying to go from the options screen to the main menu. *cries* However, I did get sloppy and put some cc in, community time, Nopke's shadow fix, and CEP. That's it. That's all the cc I have. I know I should have tested with none first but would that cc crash the game? Shadows were off when I started so Nopke's stuff wouldn't even be used. I didn't send any sims to community lots yet. I can't imagine CEP crashing stuff. I do also have a bunch of CEP extras from several MTS creators but would that crash anything? Going to test again without the cc and will regenerate neighborhoods again...

Yes repairing the game through Origin will update it to the latest version. Including having it tied to it *yuck* I didn't get that update myself, but people who did said it reset their .exe, video card and graphic rules files. So you might want to check to see if they are still intact. I have CEP and the shadow fix, so I don't think those would crash your game. I don't know about the community time mod though, I don't have that one.

Do you have any driver updates available for your card?
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#32 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
Yes repairing the game through Origin will update it to the latest version. Including having it tied to it *yuck* I didn't get that update myself, but people who did said it reset their .exe, video card and graphic rules files. So you might want to check to see if they are still intact. I have CEP and the shadow fix, so I don't think those would crash your game. I don't know about the community time mod though, I don't have that one.

Do you have any driver updates available for your card?

I think someone earlier posted a config log that showed their driver version for the same card was newer than mine but I just updated my driver yesterday. I will try another driver update.

[edit] Geforce experience says I have the latest Geforce driver from 1/8/2018 for all the good that does. *shakes fist at NVidia, Microsoft, EA, and Origin*

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:36 AM
I know you disabled further up but disabled isn't a good testing option, it all needs to be removed except those few items.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:40 AM
I think someone earlier posted a config log that showed their driver version for the same card was newer than mine but I just updated my driver yesterday. I will try another driver update.

[edit] Geforce experience says I have the latest Geforce driver from 1/8/2018 for all the good that does. *shakes fist at NVidia, Microsoft, EA, and Origin*

Ok that makes no sense. I just had another driver update on the 17th. Weird.....

Edit: Ok the Nvidia site has the last driver update on the 8th. So that should be fine. Though I have no idea what it had me update a couple days ago then.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#35 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I know you disabled further up but disabled isn't a good testing option, it all needs to be removed except those few items.

All CC is removed as of a couple posts ago (wasn't in earlier posts). Nothing at all in my Downloads folder. And fresh neighborhoods regenerated by the game after I deleted the Neighborhoods folder.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#36 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:43 AM
Ok that makes no sense. I just had another driver update on the 17th. Weird.....

Are you updating the driver from Control Panel, Device Manager, or from NVidia stuff? I'm using Geforce Experience and when I say check for updates, it says I have the latest from 1/8/2018. Do I need to look elsewhere for driver updates?

according to Device Manager, I have this driver and it thinks it is current. I'm so confused.

card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
driver date: 1/3/2018
driver version: 23.21.13.9065

Lab Assistant
#37 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:48 AM
Are you updating the driver from Control Panel, Device Manager, or from NVidia stuff? I'm using Geforce Experience and when I say check for updates, it says I have the latest from 1/8/2018. Do I need to look elsewhere for driver updates?

No I use Geforce experience to update. I edited my post, apparently Nvidia has the last update listed as 1/8 on their site, which makes no sense to me. Our driver versions are certainly different.

Edit: Ya my device manager says exactly the same thing. Now I am confused.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#38 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:51 AM
No I use Geforce experience to update. I edited my post, apparently Nvidia has the last update listed as 1/8 on their site, which makes no sense to me. Our driver versions are certainly different.

May I ask what you see in Device Manager, Properties, Driver, for your video card? I see this for mine.

Maybe it's different drivers based on the CPU and OS version??? But we both have Win 10. I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit. My CPU is an Intel i7-7700. Not sure that matters for NVidia drivers but maybe???

Lab Assistant
#39 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:59 AM
May I ask what you see in Device Manager, Properties, Driver, for your video card? I see this for mine.

Maybe it's different drivers based on the CPU and OS version??? But we both have Win 10. I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit. My CPU is an Intel i7-7700. Not sure that matters for NVidia drivers but maybe???

Nope my devise manager says the same. I have 10 home 64 bit, also a I7-7700. I don't see why they would be different, other then I updated a couple days ago, but apparently that is not showing even on the Nvidia site.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#40 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 6:12 AM
UC on Win 10 seems to work for some folks but not others. Do many of the not working cases have NVidia cards? But it's working for Jules. Must sleep. More ripping out hair over Sims tomorrow after work.

@Jules1111 - Jules, would you mind posting your sgr files here, please? We have the same card so I might try your files. Do a WinMerge diff on them, see what's different, if anything.

[edit] Only difference I see if Win 10 pro vs. Win 10 home, but our device managers say same driver? Is the sgr file the only place reporting a different driver version?

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 6:28 AM
Sure. Here they are, I hope. If I did it right. Yes the SGR is the only place I see with a difference.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Graphics Rules.zip (7.2 KB, 16 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Video Cards.zip (4.6 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#42 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 6:33 AM
Sure. Here they are, I hope. If I did it right. Yes the SGR is the only place I see with a difference.

Thank you very much, will try these when I'm more coherent tomorrow after work. Forgot to say that yes, I do make sure the sgr files get put back in after any update/repair. I wrote myself a batch script to put them both in Config and CSConfig, both places, both files. My game runs in the desired resolution and the config log says it "Kiri" in places so definitely using the updated sgr files.

[edit] There ARE differences in our sgr files! Yay! Maybe there is hope. Yours sets the texture memory to 1744 in a different place than mine. It also has a check for GTX cards that enables using shaders. And some other stuff but I'm not awake enough right now to mess with it. Tomorrow afternoon, maybe Brandi can actually buy groceries without crashing? Dare I hope?

Mad Poster
#43 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 8:03 AM
Hi, Cat - sorry, I just got back home. I believe that your game will run once your system is sorted out and that it will run well!

I hope the texture memory fixes it. I have a folder named Repair Kit on my pc - it houses backups for the Nividia texture fix- files; the 4GB patch, copy of camera mod I use, the CEP and the non-executable from Leefish are found in in

AS for the shadows - after having black boxes under my sims, I used a mod to get rid of that - but that has been somehow solved by something - not sure if it was an Origin update or a Nvidia update. So I don't need the mod and the shadows are perfect (and set on high in my game).

Just want to add that I play along happily with the TM symbol; and there are a number of UC players with Nvidia cards, and quite a number on Windows 10 too. It did take me a while back when the UC came out to get it running, and I moved it from Windows 7 to Windows 10, which took me a bit of time again, but- the game has always run since!

As a general rule in the future: players often put the blame on the UC and/or Windows 10 and/or Origin if they encounter crashing/glitching problems. But those problems are much more likely to be caused by cc, conflicting mods or mods that are not updated, just like a disk game. (That is why I believe one should just get the game running first, without any changes, even in that stupid screen size - all that can easily be changed after the game runs).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#44 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 11:09 AM
The black shadow box mod is featured on MTS. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585

~Call me Jo~
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#45 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 8:35 PM
@justpetro - I just saw a post from gwynne about updated UC and Windows updates version 1700+. I have 1709 and updated UC. Gwynne has 1709 and updated UC. Can you please tell me which version of Windows you have (search box, type About, About My PC, Windows Specifications, should list a Windows update version). Remind me, please, are you using UC from Origin? Updated or not? Thanks again for still popping in here while I bang away at this.

@justpetro
@joandsarah77

* Folks can play with the TM symbol but I want to use the hair binner, compressorizer, texture remover, wardrobe wrangler, clean installer, etc. I thought I read Clean Installer and other old tools don't like that symbol. Turned out that searching the registry for The SimsTM 2 Ultimate Collection (with special symbol in place of TM) wasn't so bad the second time around. Just did a Find, in Data only, and they all turned up.

* Shadows are working beautifully now, have Nopke's fix and correct settings for shadows being on in the graphics rules sgr (had to turn them back on). Game keeps crashing, but at least shadows work, so... progress?

---------------------------------------

[edit] Gwynne has updated UC like me and Windows update 1709 like me and keeps crashing too. See post here. Keeping an eye on that thread.

Scholar
#46 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 8:47 PM
I've jumped over here to help discuss some more (I spammed the heck out of the other poor thread, sorry other OP).

After re-reading all of this junk I've written and noting that suzannemariema says she installed from CD, not Origin, I wonder if it may be Windows Update 1709 + NVIDIA GTX series 10 cards, and that Origin has nothing to do with it.

I have two PCs at home that are fine. One has (I think, have to verify when I get home) a GTX970, the other is a laptop with a GTX860m. Neither have the recent Origin TS2 UC patch. They both have up-to-date Windows 10 (1709).

I *could* test this theory by sacrificing one of these PCs and letting Origin update UC on them. /sigh. Maybe I will, for science.

Edit: @CatOfEvilGenius, forgive me for not reading this whole thread (my eyes are crossing at this point), but how stable is your game now? How long can you actually play without crashing?
Space Pony
#47 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 8:49 PM
@Kukamuukaanmuka - 1) So if I understand correctly, Origin update changes my exe. Repair also overwrite my exe? Does repair use the latest version of the exe that Origin has? Do I need to do an update after a repair?
2) Will repair do anything to my registry keys? I ask because I got rid of the awful tm in the Documents folder name so my old cc tools and batch files could find it. If I do a repair, will I have to change the registry again or not?
3) The 4gb update will modify the exe that I get from Origin to use 4gb or ram, not just 2gb. You said redo this patch every time I update or repair, right?

1) That is the case in my understanding, as repair is (or at least was) allmost the same as reinstallation. Every changes you made at programfiles you do have to make again. To be honest I am not sure do you have to update after repair, my last and only time I have repaired was couple of years ago.

2) Same as above, Every changes you made at programfiles you do have to make again.

3) yes, but it only takes couple of clicks Fast and easy. So many UC users use the patch, as does disck users too.

If you are unsure about the 4gb patch, make a copy of your exe first to desktop, or somewhere, use the patch and if it did not helped at all, just delete the batched exe and put the original back in

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#48 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
<snip> I *could* test this theory by sacrificing one of these PCs and letting Origin update UC on them. /sigh. Maybe I will, for science.

Edit: @CatOfEvilGenius, forgive me for not reading this whole thread (my eyes are crossing at this point), but how stable is your game now? How long can you actually play without crashing?

@gwynne - I totally get the eyes crossing thing and like you, I am at the EFF THIS stage of testing. I can play for a few sim game hours at most (not human real time hours). I play at double speed. This is my usual test routine. Enter the Caliente lot, send Nina to Commandgo in Downtown, have Nina buy two phones, then scope the room a few times and try to chat with people. I zoom out enough to see the entire lot. The game usually lets me buy two phones and crashes sometime during the scoping/chatting. I note that ms. Crumplebottom shows up sometimes, sometimes it's a vampire, but I don't think every crash happens with an NPC present. Sometimes it crashes before I get to the lot. Once it crashed in neighborhood while trying to open the main menu. So I can get into a sim's home lot, I can sometimes send them to a community lot, but they can't stay too long. Sometimes I try zooming in and putting the walls up to minimize what all has to be rendered, still crashes. Sometimes, not nearly as often, the game crashes on a sim's home lot for easily discernible reason. Once it was snowing heavily on a lot and it crashed earlier. Snow is resource intensive so maybe that's why.

[edit] Much more stable in sim home lots, could play longer, maybe half hour or longer sometimes in real time. Got more crashy if I had more visitors at the home lot so it looks like the game thinks it is low on computing/graphing resources even though I have modern hardware. This desktop is a few months old.
NVidia GeForce 1060 GTX 6mb and Intel i7-7700 dual core 3.6 GHz

Trying tweaked graphics rules, then going to try the 4gb thing next. Then going to look under couch pillows for money for a different graphics card, ha ha. I wish.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#49 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
If you are unsure about the 4gb patch, make a copy of your exe first to desktop, or somewhere, use the patch and if it did not helped at all, just delete the batched exe and put the original back in

Thank you, that's just the info I needed. Already have a backup of the Origin executable since I tried a noCD version to avoid logging into Origin. NoCD didn't help, still crashed. Went back to Origin exe. Haven't tried 4mb fix yet, will report after tryinig it.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#50 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 9:13 PM
@Jules1111 - I'm keeping a tally of whose game is working and what their setup is. Remind me, you have the same graphics card as me, NVidia GeForce 1060 6gb, yes? I can't remember if you're playing with UC from Origin or from disks or do you have a noCD version of UC to avoid having to log into Origin?

@gwynne - Jules1111 and @Justpetro may be good data points for your science if you can get their specs.

Page 2 of 7