Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:34 PM
Default Terrain tools
Yes, next patch I think

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:40 PM
After four years, the game gets terrain tools. FINALLY!
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:41 PM
I was trying to work out whether there were any clues about having different height foundations, but wasn't quite sure from the stream

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:41 PM
YAY also YAY about the career, I said I wanted new careers, one is great for more variety.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:53 PM
Wasn't terrain tools one of those things they said they definitely weren't working on, like they did with pools and toddlers?
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:54 PM
All I was hearing before tonight was the occasional "builders we haven't forgotten you"

Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Yes, next patch I think

..Huhh?

Thought this was a clickbait-hype-up-syke thread, before I checked with another thread. Strangely enough, Google didn't show me any viable results, which you would think at least the forum If not the internet would explain of such news in seconds after the revealed leaked teaser.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 8:05 PM
Looking forward to those extra 3+ years of content. What a nice addition

I’m really excited to see everyone’s new dynamic builds.

FOR THE HORDE
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
..Huhh?

Thought this was a clickbait-hype-up-syke thread, before I checked with another thread. Strangely enough, Google didn't show me any viable results, which you would think at least the forum If not the internet would explain of such news in seconds after the revealed leaked teaser.

I tend not to post clickbait, unless it's that lovely Rick Astley.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 8:08 PM
Don't wanna jinx it, but imagine the plot twist: "but oops, we forgot CFE cheat as the second addition for it" :rolf:

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
..Huhh?

There isn't much yet because it was announced in their stream an hour ago and they only showed it, but didn't say anything, so if you only listened like me then it was easy to miss. And the only thread I saw on the official forums about it was closed after a few negative comments.

Btw, picture from the other thread for people interested - from Reddit:
Instructor
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 9:21 PM
About time!
dodgy builder
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 9:56 PM
Scholar
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I tend not to post clickbait, unless it's that lovely Rick Astley.

I live to get Rick Rolled by Inge
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Keysmash
Wasn't terrain tools one of those things they said they definitely weren't working on, like they did with pools and toddlers?

Kinda makes you wonder what else they weren't telling the truth about.

Like...I'm trying to be positive and excited, because this really is a good thing. But like...do they not realize they pretty much caught themselves in a lie? They can't possibly have forgotten all the times we've been told "that's not possible cuz of the new engine....but this engine is still totes superior!"

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 10:06 PM
Yay terrain tools! Looks like multi-height foundations are also being implemented. He raised the height of the lower room without raising the top towards the end.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Kinda makes you wonder what else they weren't telling the truth about.

Like...I'm trying to be positive and excited, because this really is a good thing. But like...do they not realize they pretty much caught themselves in a lie? They can't possibly have forgotten all the times we've been told "that's not possible cuz of the new engine....but this engine is still totes superior!"

They continue to be completely untrustworthy, in spite of their continued efforts to "be more transparent" (do they even know what transparency means?)
They said they weren't working on toddlers for two years, reprimanding anyone who might suggest otherwise.
Pools and terrain editing was impossible with this engine until it wasn't.
They keep reprimanding fans for speculating and over-hyping ourselves, but they don't seem to realize that their words mean nothing because of how full of shit they are.

It's just incredibly frustrating to try to keep up with information about the game, when anything they say might just be an outright lie, and they're usually incredibly condescending.
This is why I usually take 6+ month hiatuses from this game. It's all just so... Tiring.
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 12:35 AM
They never said they were not working on toddlers.

They never said terrain tools were impossible. That was the community.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 12:56 AM
I know terrain tools were desperately wanted by many, many players, but personally I don't care. I do like to build, but for some reason I never really used terrain tools. Besides one or two secret underground or hobbit houses I wouldn't even know what to do with it. But I'm definitely happy for people who were waiting for that feature
In general I'm glad they finally give us some of the basic features, but considering they pushed back two months of bug fixes for that... I'm honestly not sure how to feel about it. It's like TS4 always comes with a huge "but". I wonder what the stream next week will reveal about the terrain tool and I hope it won't lead to huge disappointment.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maelewis
They never said they were not working on toddlers.

They never said terrain tools were impossible. That was the community.

I don't know about toddlers but terrain tools (and pools for that matter) were definitely on the list of things they said were "too hard" or "too complicated for the new engine" until they suddenly weren't.

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#21 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 1:32 AM
I'm glad they're adding this. I didn't care for terrain tools (never really used it in past games) but I know there are a lot of builders who wanted this and I'm glad they added this for them. As far as the patch being pushed back I really hope it also means they're working on big bug fixes as well. I'm really hope ng this a large patch that not only adds the free content but also fixes a lot of issues in the game. If that is the case I can't even be mad at them
Mad Poster
#22 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 6:13 AM
It took them long enough to add terrain tools. I’m also a fan of certain parts of the lot having foundations and others not. With some creative engineering, we might be able to make floating rooms or elevated mobile home style lots.

This makes me wonder if upcoming worlds will have sloped lots. Something else I’m curious about is foundations and basements on elevates pieces of land.

I imagine this will lead to cars and garages at some point.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#23 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 6:36 AM
It's a pity the terrains don't effect the neighborhoring land you cannot build on
Instructor
#24 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 8:17 AM
There's a few additional screenshots here: http://simscommunity.info/2018/10/0...e-terrain-tool/

It looks a bit janky on the smaller lot because everything around it is so flat, but on the island lot it looks great - with some less extreme elevation that lot would look fantastic.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 8:42 AM
The engine always supported terrain manipulation, after all very few lots in the game are truly flat and Sims can pathfind on sloped terrain in the surrounding world without issue. They just never made an in-game interface for it. I'm glad to see it happen at last. Hopefully this means future worlds will have more varied terrain to make full use of this feature.
Page 1 of 4