Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 1:48 AM
I didn’t see the footage, just the pictures here and it looks as if the building can only stand on top of a hill? I mean, not sinking into them?

I’m happy for the builders, but at the same time, objectively, I think it’s a disgrace it took four years to implement something that was basegame in the two predecessors. And I don’t understand why they pretended it couldn't be done. Was that..... a lie..?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
I’m happy for the builders, but at the same time, objectively, I think it’s a disgrace it took four years to implement something that was basegame in the two predecessors.

*Three

TS1 also had terraforming, which is even more embarrassing. It’s the very first icon and also shown on those lot. However, it was useless as nothing ever needed to be elevated.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
dodgy builder
#53 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 7:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
*Three

TS1 also had terraforming, which is even more embarrassing. It’s the very first icon and also shown on those lot. However, it was useless as nothing ever needed to be elevated.

Needed to be elevated? What do you mean? You want a house a bit higher in the landscape, it's perhaps not needed, but it looks good. I never had ts1.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 1:32 PM
There's another screenshot available:

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be looking at here, but seems like we get snow on the sides which I honestly didn't take for granted
Mad Poster
#56 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 1:46 PM
*Three

There's nothing shown in the screenshot that would hightlight your point (where is the elevated terrain ?? ). I'm confused. And yeah, what do you mean by "as nothing ever needed to be elevated." ? I don't think TS1 even had the capability or cheat for CFE. That's why it hadn't been used, but strangely I never seen an image of it being used on a landscape in TS1 either. Though, I never even tried out TS1.

Your comment sounds like it's siding with the absence of terraforming (?). If it wasn't needed, why grief over it when it's not available?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 3:00 PM
Terraforming is indeed in TS1 (the very empty grid lines indicate uneven terrain ). Lots in TS1 we’re relatively flat, so terraforming was never required to make a lot buildable. It was used as a novelty (which I appreciate), which led to some very great designs.

However, Terraforming was a necessity in TS2 and TS3. Lots can be built on hills or beaches, so in order to have a buildbale space, space needs to be modified for the necessity of the lot.

TS4 was designed around the lack of terrain tools. Tools would definitely help for the addition of more dynamic lots and designs and the current style is quite regressive.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#58 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 4:27 PM
The Goth house in TS1 sat on a very slight hill. I don't remember many houses using hilly terrain, possibly because it didn't contribute much except routing errors?

https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedi...5-sim-lane-goth
Test Subject
#59 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 7:20 PM
The terrain tools didn't come with the base game in Sims1, it was an update or came with an expansion pack, I can't remember which. It didn't have the same neighborhood view as Sims4 has so it worked without looking awkward. I am skeptical how this new tool will work out. Hopefully we get the pond tool as well, I can see myself using that a lot!
Mad Poster
#60 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 7:40 PM
Terraforming is indeed in TS1 (the very empty grid lines indicate uneven terrain ). Lots in TS1 we’re relatively flat, so terraforming was never required to make a lot buildable. It was used as a novelty (which I appreciate), which led to some very great designs.

Oh, now that I look it, I hardly can notice it. The Isometric screen makes the illusion that it is flat.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#62 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Unsearchably
Funny how back then we were annoyed about games being too complex and having more features than they needed.

We were??

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#63 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 12:12 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 7th Oct 2018 at 8:42 PM.
I'd share, it feels like I have the Mandela effect of forgetting to post replies lately.
Funny how back then we were annoyed about games being too complex and having more features than they needed. Now it's a miracle if they even ship with all of the core features their predecessors became known for.

Complexity isn't good either. Depth should be at it's maximun with minimum amount of complexity.. I'd say the game as a whole nails at being less complex, but doesn't have a lot of depth/

dodgy builder
#64 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 2:17 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 7th Oct 2018 at 2:40 PM.
It looks weird in isometric games like this...

Ah, I see

Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
The Goth house in TS1 sat on a very slight hill. I don't remember many houses using hilly terrain, possibly because it didn't contribute much except routing errors?

Nothing changes then
Forum Resident
#65 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 2:59 PM
I would be excited about this of it was 5 years ago but at this point all I can think is, "why bother?" I recognize that plenty of great builders will make awesome stuff with it.

I feel like at this point Maxis is using these base features as carrots to keep unimpressed players coming back to the game. Their recent releases sure aren't doing it.

TBH I would much rather have the option to add more neighborhoods or lots than edit terrain. I ran out of room ages ago! Willow Creek specifically really let me down with the limited number of lots.

ETA: and smaller lots. Sometimes I just want to build something tiny but then I waste all that valuable rare real estate.
Forum Resident
#66 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by harlequin_eyes
I would be excited about this of it was 5 years ago but at this point all I can think is, "why bother?" I recognize that plenty of great builders will make awesome stuff with it.

I feel like at this point Maxis is using these base features as carrots to keep unimpressed players coming back to the game. Their recent releases sure aren't doing it.

TBH I would much rather have the option to add more neighborhoods or lots than edit terrain. I ran out of room ages ago! Willow Creek specifically really let me down with the limited number of lots.

ETA: and smaller lots. Sometimes I just want to build something tiny but then I waste all that valuable rare real estate.

I really, really miss the option to choose yourself how big your lot is supposed to be [insert mandatory "Even TS2 had the option 14 years ago"]. I have the problem with 64x64 lots - Sometimes you see a wonderful building in the gallery and you just can't add it into your game because there's no space. And sometimes I like to have two or three different community lots of the same kind, like three different parks (maybe one for weddings, one for children, one for pets) or two different nightclubs, but I can't add them because the lot size doesn't fit or all my lots are taken or it just doesn't fit with the style (I don't want a gym in Forgotten Hollow or a club in Magnolia Promenade).
It's really frustrating and I'm not even that big of a builder. If you're really into building then you probably need to have multiple save files or just save lots to the gallery and enjoy them from afar
Mad Poster
#67 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 8:18 PM

This is just what I posted earlier. I would be interested in this if playing 4 now which I am not, and if there was any place whatsoever to build.
Smeg Head
#68 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 8:21 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 7th Oct 2018 at 8:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
There's another screenshot available:

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be looking at here, but seems like we get snow on the sides which I honestly didn't take for granted

"If I were a rich man, yubby, dibby, dibby, dibby, dibby, dibby, dibby, dum..." - Fiddler on the Roof.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#69 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 11:00 AM
I don't recall any routing problems with terrain tools in TS1. I had Sims living in dells and Sims living on hills, and I don't remember having to struggle with them moving about.
TS1 even had the option to enlarge or shrink a lot's size to a certain extent, or create lots with non-straight borders.

Also as an aside, there was at least one residential house in MagicTown that was on a hill.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 2:49 PM

What's worse, they find something to make of it less or with a but. Every comeback feature pretty much. Is there pretty much any point to look forward when you're expectations got crushed over multiple courses of time?

Scholar
#71 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 1:22 PM Last edited by pirate_wolf_12 : 11th Oct 2018 at 11:26 PM.
Hell fuggin' yeah, time to tailor the terrain terraformin' terrifyin' territory tehwhatever. It's just like the Sims 1 basegame had, the game that, since its release, has seen me graduate primary school, high school, and university.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Forum Resident
#72 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 7:17 PM
You can finally have different foundations for different buildings. And the new foundation height can be as high as the new terrain tool which is incredibly high tbh (not shown on the screenshot)

Forum Resident
#73 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 7:28 PM
Watching the terrain manipulation livestream and it's quite interesting.
  • You can raise and lower terrain to extreme heights and depths
  • There's a nifty tool to flatten to a specific height, as well as general flattening tool
  • There's a togglable visualiser showing flat terrain and general topography
  • Foundation height is now controlled per room and the maximum height has been increased dramatically.
  • You can't connect different height rooms together, but apparently the plan is to bring true split-level support to the game in the future.
  • They're also planning to one day allow for rooms to be properly embedded in terrain (e.g. a house built into a hill) and to add a pond tool.
  • Basements can now be built an additional 2 levels deep, allowing for 4 levels of basement in total.
  • Pools built beyond the edge of hills have foundation directly under the edge of the pool, so you can build infinity pools on a hill if you want.
Forum Resident
#74 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorsal Axe
Watching the terrain manipulation livestream and it's quite interesting. You can raise and lower terrain to pretty extreme heights/depths, there's a nifty tool to flatten to a specific height, a toggle for avisualiser showing flat terrain and topography. Foundation height is now controlled per room and the maximum height has been increased dramatically. You can't connect different height rooms together, but apparently the plan is to bring true split-level support to the game in the future. They're also planning to one day allow for rooms to be properly embedded in terrain (e.g. a house built into a hill) and to add a pond tool.

And they added two more basement levels and accidentally leaked some new foundations patterns and stairs from Get Famous
Here's a random picture of a high pool and a leaked foundation:

The stream is really interesting. I like the two guys and even though I don't care too much about terrain tool and don't even know what I would build with it, it still looks pretty neat
Field Researcher
#75 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 8:15 PM
I like that you can do separate foundations now, I do hope they eventually add in true split-leveling, I really miss that. Shame about not being able to paint the steep terrain and the absence of the pond tool, hopefully they work on those and add them in eventually. I like the vastly improved usability with the terrain tools themselves, definitely the best version of terrain manipulation we've had. Also a bit bummed we can't place floor tiles on steep terrain (like in previous games) and make stuff like ramps, but ah well.
Page 3 of 4