Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:28 PM
Default which hacks do you regret on the sims 2 and why?
i downloaded once inteenimater because i wanted to get a teenager sim pregnant, also young adults sims.
so i thought it doesn't hurt to do that in my game

however when i selected a sim i didn't had many choices to do, there wasn't a making out in there etc

i also once downloaded a hack when you can get like 50 sims in a house since i wanted a bigger family
but when you clicked on TV you could only just watch TV, watching scary or however movie wasn't in there

so i deleted both of the hacks safely and i got rid of it!
i don't wanna use 1 of them again after this

so here was my issue i used to had so

but what did you regret when it comes to downloading a hack?

i want to hear the details
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:44 PM
Well, I've never regretted DL Inteen. In fact, I don't think I've ever regretted anything. I like messing around with the game settings.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:48 PM
If I don't like something I've downloaded, I usually remove the items pretty fast. I do regret putting some of the NPC controlled items in my game, though - those either have to stay in the game or you have to restore a backup to fully and safely remove them (there are other ways, but it's the quickest and easiest).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:49 PM
The Baby Controller from MATY. Also Bathroom Uses You. Both mods are very similar in that they force sims to behave in blatantly robotic ways that both creep me out and are in no way fun to watch. I don't have that issue with any other aspect of Macrotastics, but those particular modules were horrible and I immediately pulled them after seeing their effects in game. I understand some people use them and love them, but they do not fit with my playstyle at all.

I still have the horrifying image of a parent sim grabbing multiple bottles of Smart Milk and shoving them into their not even hungry toddler's face. Repeatedly. /shudder
Alchemist
#5 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:07 PM
I do not recall regretting any mod/hack I downloaded.
in the past generally tested mods/hacks in AnyGameStarter after downloading. then if they worked, would place them in main game.
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:09 PM
I've never regretted anything I've downloaded, including Inteen. (OP, sounds like you had mod conflicts; missing pie menu interactions are the classic symptom, along with jump bugs.) There are some mods that haven't worked quite like I'd hoped, and I subsequently deleted them, but I didn't regret trying them out at all. In general, since I have so many mods already, I'm pretty careful about what I add, and I test things out in a testing neighborhood before I play any neighborhood I actually care about, in case things go kablooey.

NPCs don't bother me, either. All you have to keep is the controller file, which is tiny. I just stick the controller file in my "DO NOT DELETE" folder and forget about it, whether I keep the thing it controls or not. In fact, I wish that Sun & Moon's farm animals had NPCs, so that they'd move around the lot in an random-animated way. I love that they have more modern meshes/textures and more interactions that are integrated with other sets, but the fact that they aren't animated and have no sounds is kinda not as fun as Beck's older, NPC-controlled animals. I wish there could be a blend of the two. That would be my ideal.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:37 PM
What I sort of regretted downloading was wild child, since it messed up normal pregnancies (sims not wearing maternity clothes, the stretch marks notification when adults were pregnant instead of teens). I say sort of because it did what it needed to do correctly, and the problems came about when I had it in "unnecessarily".
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 8:58 PM
@sailorleontine6, if you put something in your game and then suddenly nothing works properly, it's most likely the last thing(s) you put in that caused the issue, or the items don't work with something else you have in your Downloads. If you can't get them to play nicely together, it's safest to remove the item you want the least.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 10:27 PM
I regretted InTeen only because I had so many problems with it. If there weren't problems, I'd still be using it.

I did regret putting some of the NPC farm animals in, though. They didn't work quite as I expected, they kept clipping through walls and at one point I could see the hidden Sim controlling one of them (which was weird, if not a bit scary). The neighborhood died, though, so I pulled them before starting my new hood.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#10 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I regretted InTeen only because I had so many problems with it. If there weren't problems, I'd still be using it.

I did regret putting some of the NPC farm animals in, though. They didn't work quite as I expected, they kept clipping through walls and at one point I could see the hidden Sim controlling one of them (which was weird, if not a bit scary). The neighborhood died, though, so I pulled them before starting my new hood.

What did the hidden sim look like and do while it's controlling the animal and why did the neighborhood die on you?
Alchemist
#11 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
NPCs don't bother me, either. All you have to keep is the controller file, which is tiny. I just stick the controller file in my "DO NOT DELETE" folder and forget about it, whether I keep the thing it controls or not. In fact, I wish that Sun & Moon's farm animals had NPCs, so that they'd move around the lot in an random-animated way. I love that they have more modern meshes/textures and more interactions that are integrated with other sets, but the fact that they aren't animated and have no sounds is kinda not as fun as Beck's older, NPC-controlled animals. I wish there could be a blend of the two. That would be my ideal.
I regretted adding some NPCs until I realized this. People can be very dramatic about this, and I understand because no one wants someone to accidentally wreck their hood, but it'd probably be better if the message was more "This file is actually a Sim. You must keep it in your Downloads folder even if you remove the rest of the mod. It won't harm your hood" and less "Agh! If you download that NPC you're going to be stuck with it forever! BFBVFS!!!"
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:40 PM
I think it was Face 1. I don't remember many details as this was like three years ago and I was too weirded out to try to get a screenshot.

The neighborhood died because I ran out of hard drive space while saving the game. (I'd unzipped two years worth of backups for some dumb reason.) The game crashed while trying to save and then I couldn't get the 'hood loaded up again. I looked in SimPE and a lot of Sims had gone missing.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:45 PM
Only very occasionally will a mod do something that can't be easily rectified by removing it and quite often it's because of user error. Sometimes we don't read all the directions and blame the mod when really it was our own fault. That or we didn't place it in a testing hood first. Which if you are dealing with large mods you should do. it's possible those two mods you tried were clashing with something else. People use both types of mods a lot around here with no issues. I have used a larger family mod for at least 8 years.

I do regret trying out Chris Hatch's slow time mod with the older Community Lot Time in my main game (there is an example of mods that should have gone to a testing hood first) There is nothing wrong with either mod they just don't play nicely together. That and or the Time Clock or all 3 together, I was never sure. Anyway, it messed up the lot speed, sim motives and ageing on the two lots I tried them on together. Normally pulling the new mod will fix the issue, here pulling it didn't fix the issue and the 2 lots I tried it on were permanently affected. I had to move the sims out, bulldoze and replace with the original un-decorated lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#14 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:53 PM
I feel that way a little bit about ACR. I've tried twice and, both times, some of the things that happened bothered me, but I removed it and re-installed a backup, so no harm done.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:59 PM
There are very few things that I've regretted putting in-but Inteen was the bugger for me-mostly because it not only didn't play well with the other stuff I had, it was so plainly not in my morals/ethics set that I couldn't see using it.

Hey, I like a realistic game, but that one was a step too far. That and also the hookers add-ons. They didn't work in the last version, so I dumped them and kept a couple of the controllers that came with the set. Those are forever in my game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#16 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 12:43 AM
AnyGameStarter. Something went wrong and all my hoods disappeared and I couldn't get it to work at all. Once I got my hoods back, I didn't bother figuring out why. I really only wanted it to build base game compatible lots for upload.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:23 AM
I regretted the baby controller too, since it interfered with my playstyle. I didn't regret Bathroom Uses You, though, I don't much care to watch sims go to the bathroom and would prefer to avoid having to nanny them through the process. Same with woohoo, although mainly because it's such a pain in the ass to get sims to woohoo in an unmodded game, which is most of the reason why I originally installed ACR - it turned woohoo into a one-click operation at worst, and completely hands-off if you let sims wander around on free will!
Inventor
#18 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 3:39 AM
To be honest, I regret installing Chris Hatch's hospital mod. I only played with it a few times and I never touched it again, so it's sitting in my Downloads folder collecting dust

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 11:55 AM Last edited by gazania : 11th Oct 2018 at 1:29 PM.
My top choice: mods involving Sims going to college in main hoods, also known as the community college mod.

Don't get me wrong ... before I reinstalled anything, it worked fantastically. I even made a community college for my main hood using Sophie-David's lecterns so that Sims would have a college to actually go to. But when I reinstalled M&G because a Windows update attempt somehow seriously messed up my game (I have no idea how that happened, and yes, my game files are read-only, and yes, I disabled auto Windows updates), something bizarre also happened to my hood because of that mod. All student AI panels were blank and I could not move any students out of college. It was as if the game considered them adult and graduated, wiped out their AI panels and refused to have anything more to do with them!

i had to go to a backup pre-Community College to save my hoods in any form, and lost ten human months of gameplay. It was better than losing the hoods entirely, but what a pain trying to play catch-up. Strangely, I know of no one else who had this problem, even after re-installs, so I chalk it down to one more freaky thing I found that can mess up hoods, or in my case, my game. It might have been linked to that Windows update attempt. (And after all that, I found that I might have been able to avoid the problem entirely.)

Number two was Rebecah's chickens. By themselves, even though they are NPCs, they are delightful. It was in combo with a certain adult mod when things got freaky. Of course, removing the birds corrupted my hoods, because there were many things I and others did not know then.

Number three is a combo. Let's just say "other" custom NPC mods that I decided I did not want. Custom NPCs are lots of fun, and I have a few that I use. They can be delightful! However, it's really a wise thing to test them in a new game. Not a new hood ... a new game. Removing them corrupts hoods. Be very careful deciding which ones you want, watch out for anything piggybacked in a download, and realize if you remove them, you may have to go to a backup pre the NPC or start over with your hoods. I learned the hard way.

Most of the other mods were simply conflicts with other mods (that did not harm my game or at best, did superficial damage to my hoods), or I did not see that they were updated. I removed a mod ... no more problems.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 12:58 PM
Regret?

I simply remove the ones I do not like/need - or those that mess with other aspects of my game.

Most of my mods are simply to fix things that irritate me - it may not irritate another person, but I do like ACR (with my settings, my sims are not a bunch of rabbits - well not all of them, anyway).

In my opinion, the Sims 2 is a nice game and if I wanted another game with different features - I would buy one.

@gazania - those chickens in your game are legendary now
Undead Molten Llama
#21 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I regretted adding some NPCs until I realized this. People can be very dramatic about this, and I understand because no one wants someone to accidentally wreck their hood, but it'd probably be better if the message was more "This file is actually a Sim. You must keep it in your Downloads folder even if you remove the rest of the mod. It won't harm your hood" and less "Agh! If you download that NPC you're going to be stuck with it forever! BFBVFS!!!"

IMO, more information and less hysteria is always good, regardless of what is being talked about. But things just get magnified in this community it seems. A person will say, calmly and rationally, something like "You have to keep this one little -- usually a couple kilobytes in size -- file in your game once you install it, because it's a Sim and deleting Sims will corrupt your neighborhood(s). You can delete everything else, but don't delete the file called 'Controller.'" and after that gets passed through a couple of people, it's suddenly become, "OMG HAVING THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR GAME!!!!!!! " Just....Geez, calm down, people. Put that one teeny little file somewhere where you won't accidentally delete it and have fun playing with the super-cool animated things. It's not a big, fat, hairy deal.

Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I feel that way a little bit about ACR. I've tried twice and, both times, some of the things that happened bothered me, but I removed it and re-installed a backup, so no harm done.

The thing with ACR is not only that it is highly adjustable but that one SHOULD adjust it thoroughly, for the best experience with it. IMO, its default settings make the Sims far too likely to jump into bed with each other at the drop of a hat. Sure, I want that for SOME Sims, but certainly not ALL of them. I think most people are probably the same way, but if they just drop in the mod and don't do anything with the settings, it's going to affect their game in ways they probably won't like/want. So, that means you have to fiddle with things. I fiddle with the global/neighborhood settings, but more importantly, I fiddle extensively with every individual Sim's settings. It's part of my "ritual" when a new adult Sim is created, but more importantly it's part of my "ritual" when a born-in-game Sim turns teen, especially since I also use Inteen and I don't want a ton of teen pregnancies. If you use ACR or are thinking about using it, you definitely want to keep in mind that it is probably the most individually-customizable mod out there. You're certainly not locked into using the default settings. I mean, you can make completely asexual Sims with it, who won't even flirt autonomously (Well, the game might make them flirt, with its vanilla mechanics, but ACR won't), much less autonomously jump into bed at the drop of a hat.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Instructor
#22 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 3:07 PM
ACR. I'm not too keen in adjusting it.

In one house were twin boys born, in the other house twin girls. When they grew up to teen I wanted them slowly to figure out which boy would fall in love with which girl, provided they all wanted a girlfriend/boyfriend. Then ACR decided that boy A had to flirt with girl B, and since they're both family Sims, they didn't wanted to consider the other girl/boy... Bye bye, story.
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 3:24 PM
Yeah, if you have a plan for Sims, you don't want something that introduces randomness. But if you DO want randomness...

Mad Poster
#24 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:19 PM
I don't regret any mod I downloaded that worked as claimed.

I am now down to about 325 MB in my download folder and happy with what I now play with.

At one time my download folder was well over 10 GB in size.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:46 PM
Default On ACR
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
IMO, more information and less hysteria is always good, regardless of what is being talked about. But things just get magnified in this community it seems. A person will say, calmly and rationally, something like "You have to keep this one little -- usually a couple kilobytes in size -- file in your game once you install it, because it's a Sim and deleting Sims will corrupt your neighborhood(s). You can delete everything else, but don't delete the file called 'Controller.'" and after that gets passed through a couple of people, it's suddenly become, "OMG HAVING THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR GAME!!!!!!! " Just....Geez, calm down, people. Put that one teeny little file somewhere where you won't accidentally delete it and have fun playing with the super-cool animated things. It's not a big, fat, hairy deal

The thing with ACR is not only that it is highly adjustable but that one SHOULD adjust it thoroughly, for the best experience with it. IMO, its default settings make the Sims far too likely to jump into bed with each other at the drop of a hat. Sure, I want that for SOME Sims, but certainly not ALL of them. I think most people are probably the same way, but if they just drop in the mod and don't do anything with the settings, it's going to affect their game in ways they probably won't like/want. So, that means you have to fiddle with things. I fiddle with the global/neighborhood settings, but more importantly, I fiddle extensively with every individual Sim's settings. It's part of my "ritual" when a new adult Sim is created, but more importantly it's part of my "ritual" when a born-in-game Sim turns teen, especially since I also use Inteen and I don't want a ton of teen pregnancies. If you use ACR or are thinking about using it, you definitely want to keep in mind that it is probably the most individually-customizable mod out there. You're certainly not locked into using the default settings. I mean, you can make completely asexual Sims with it, who won't even flirt autonomously (Well, the game might make them flirt, with its vanilla mechanics, but ACR won't), much less autonomously jump into bed at the drop of a hat.

Ok, I had a good.laugh the other day. I run ACR. A certain young man had a good time in college, but after graduating and losing his girl due to his behavior, he was in a club being a bad boy with the girl who broke him and his lady love up. Well, I didn't pay any attention to what was about to take place and directed him to perform guitar. Ok, here he comes picks up the guitar. and performs in front of 20 sims in the nude
Page 1 of 2