Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 7:30 PM
Default Ending Code Support For The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection
There will be no more distribution of game codes through support, to those who missed the limited-time promotion offering in 2014, if I understood correctly.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_uS/di...llection#latest

Quote:
Starting October 11, 2018, free copies of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection will no longer be available.
Why the change?
A few years ago, we ran a limited-time promotion offering free codes for The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition. Since that promotion ended, we’ve gotten a lot of contacts asking for codes for the collection. We’ve done our best to support these contacts in the past, but we have reached a point where we no longer can.
What if I have the game but I’m having issues with it? Let us know! We are more than happy to help with any account or technical issues relating to your copy of The Sims 2.
What other ways can I play The Sims? You can get The Sims 3 or 4 through Origin, or grab The Sims 4 on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. Or access both games through the Vault for Origin Access. To play on the go, check out The Sims Mobile.
Check out the full article on EA Help for more information.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 9:27 PM
Well, I guess that was always in the pipeline (bastards).
Scholar
#3 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 9:48 PM
Couldn't they at least put the game on Origin available for sale so that people who want to play Sims 2 would be able to play it without tracking down old dvd copies of it online?
Alchemist
#4 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 9:59 PM
If they did that, they'd have to provide support for the game, and they don't want to.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 10:01 PM
"What other ways can I play The Sims?
You can get The Sims 3 or 4 through Origin, or grab The Sims 4 on Xbox One or PlayStation 4"

Ugh - yeah I don't want your crappy later versions because they're simply not as good as TS2. They've been pulling this pushing people onto the later iterations ever since TS3 came out. I guess we're going to have to find ways to suggest to people how to get hold of a copy.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
"What other ways can I play The Sims?
You can get The Sims 3 or 4 through Origin, or grab The Sims 4 on Xbox One or PlayStation 4"

Ugh - yeah I don't want your crappy later versions because they're simply not as good as TS2. They've been pulling this pushing people onto the later iterations ever since TS3 came out. I guess we're going to have to find ways to suggest to people how to get hold of a copy.

Sims 3 is alright but like you said it's not as good as Sims 2. The open world,Story Progression and CAST were the best parts other than those I just can't really get into it as much as do with Sims 2. Perhaps it's just the look of sims themselves that turned me off.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Couldn't they at least put the game on Origin available for sale so that people who want to play Sims 2 would be able to play it without tracking down old dvd copies of it online?
Quite! When you hold the exclusive rights to the best computer game ever written, why refuse to monetise those rights by selling it? Or, if EA really can't think of a way to make money from TS2, why not franchise it to another company who can? I'm sure a smaller leaner company, given full access to the design and source code, could develop it as a niche product, and still provide a steady revenue stream to EA. I'm sure a lot of us would be willing to pay for a patch to fix the major corruption issues, without any new features at all.

EA, you do realise you could still get revenue from TS2 if you just had the gumption to find a way to sell it! I thought you were a company that wanted to make money.

EA don't seem to have a clue to get any money from me. Since I registered on Origin to get my copy of the Ultimate Collection (which I've never used), I get occasional promotional emails from them. The last one appeared to be promoting some WW2-themed shoot-em-up. But the accompanying graphic was so huge that my computer couldn't even render it. So not much point in me buying that game then?! Eh?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
#8 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 10:40 PM
Wow, just made it in under the wire.

I have no interest in any other EA products besides this and SWtOR, which I no longer subscribe to, so I suppose they aren't ever getting more money from me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:37 PM
If they are going to do this maybe someone could convince them to release the code. I bet they won't, but it would be a good trade-off to modders.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#10 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:38 PM
Too funny! All this tells me is there is still a demand for The Sims 2...which is awesome.

Sounds as if they are just tired of being inundated with calls for a 14-year-old game, when there are newer iterations to choose from.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Link Ninja
#11 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:41 PM
They could make a small profit if they did like limited re-releases of sims 2. If they did limited time sales once every few years they could get some money (because money, that's what they want) and sims 2 players old and new could get access to the game they want to play.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:42 PM
They could put it up on GOG for ten dollars, even.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#13 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
They could put it up on GOG for ten dollars, even.

Agree to this. (And Sims 1 Complete Collection, too....)
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#14 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 12:10 AM
So they are tired of people asking for it instead of buying the newer, not as good a games? My interpretation. Then sims 5 needs to be better than sims 2.
Alchemist
#15 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 1:06 AM
I know it's not the popular opinion, but, honestly, I can't fault them for this just because I am incredibly grateful for UC. It's given me a lot of joy and cost me nothing. I hope that people who wanted it, got it. Maybe they don't want to support/sell it because by modern standards, it's a tad embarrassing, but, whatever their thinking, I love it and I'm glad I got it back in 2014 when it first became available.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I hope that people who wanted it, got it.

Not everyone did, and that's the problem.
Alchemist
#17 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Not everyone did, and that's the problem.

I'm sorry to hear that, but it was four years or so of a "limited time" offer. I know sometimes people posted they just didn't want it or didn't want to ask, I was thinking of them. We told people to just ask again so I hope most did. In any case, I wish there were a good way to share it. I'd be happy to if there were. It would certainly have been better if they'd given people some notice that it would stop.
Instructor
#18 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 2:51 AM
It's a shame how they made that announcement today and not before the 11th of Oct.
Theorist
#19 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Then sims 5 needs to be better than sims 2.

That'll never happen.

The problem is, EA doesn't know how to deliver a Sims game that truly has heart anymore. Once they got full control over the franchise things started to go down hill, as it became all about money, money, money. And once everyone from the earlier productions moved on, that was pretty much all she wrote as the creativity and level of detail diminished significantly.

I honestly do not think they will ever be able to recapture the soul of the Sims 1 & 2. It's like they are at the point of just churning out more expensive versions of a mobile game...Yeah, sure, it might keep your attention for a bit, but you never get fully immersed. Even when I played Sims 3 it always felt like a casual gaming experience and not like a real Sims game experience.

However, maybe I'm just set in my ways and can't be objective since I am someone who played Sims 1 & 2 from the beginning of their releases. *feels like yelling get off my lawn to no one in particular*

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#20 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
it was four years or so of a "limited time" offer.

I know. I'm not speaking about myself here; I had considered getting the UC but hadn't quite decided if I wanted it and now obviously that's a moot question. But I've got a rl friend who's played the sims 2 for years. Her computer recently died and she lost all her hoods and everything. She's since gotten into the Sims 4 and has been enjoying that, but just a couple weeks ago I mentioned the UC to her and she hadn't heard anything at all about it but seemed interested in the idea. Unfortunately it's a moot question for her now as well, and I guess she'll probably just go on playing the Sims 4 (which she does enjoy much more than I ever could, but she does have some issues with it as well). I guess I just wanted her (and others) to have options. Her new computer is a laptop so she can't play Sims 3, and love it or hate it TS3 does not play well in low-end computers.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 6:29 AM
I'm sure if she really wanted it, she could buy the disks cheaply on eBay.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#22 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 8:24 AM
It's a bizarre decision not to sell it on Origin. It would certainly make money for them. The Mac version has been in the Mac App Store charts pretty much since it was re-released in 2014. It's lower in the charts than it used to be, because it has some graphics issues since last year with the latest version of macOS that need a bug fix and needs a rewrite to be a 64-bit application, but even with minor problems on new machines it's still a best seller.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 8:41 AM
Just give us the source code and you'll never have to speak to us again. It's not like it's going to lose you any money when you've already decided not to make any more money of Sims 2.
Scholar
#24 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 9:18 AM
That bites. I wrote them and told them to please put it on gog.com along with TS1 and the Sims Stories games.
Then wrote a Tumblr post in the hopes that other people will do the same:

https://scibirg.tumblr.com/post/178...free-uc-from-ea

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I'm sure if she really wanted it, she could buy the disks cheaply on eBay.

Aren't laptops omitting disc drives these days? And Windows 10 broke SecuROM.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 1 of 7