Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 11:49 PM
Well, after reading this thread, I've uninstalled WinRAR and installed 7zip (following an auto-link in aelflaed's post (#22). I hope I've done the right thing. I just updated WinRAR a couple of months ago, but the version had already moved on from 5.6 to 5.7, so my copy was already out of date.

My first thought is that I find 7zip a bit less intuitive to use than WinRAR, but that's maybe just because I'm new to it.The only thing I ever use WinRAR for is to decompress Sims 2 CC files if they're in the .RAR format. For all other archiving, including backing up my game, I use .zip files and the Windows interface. (Windows calls them "Compressed Folders".)

This thread put the wind up me a bit, but what really persuaded me to switch was the "split" feature mentioned by frogz in post #23. Every few weeks I make a full back up of my Documents\Sims 2 Folder, and move it to a DVD for safe keeping. When I first started, I used to get 7 full Sims backups on one DVD, but now I only get one onto the DVD. So it seems clear to me that, as I keep adding CC to my downloads folder , and Sims to my neighbourhoods, the day will come when my full backup will no longer fit onto one DVD. And when that happens I'll need a "split" feature.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 1:00 AM
@AndrewGloria - no need for 7-Zip. CDBurnerXP can handle splitting files across multiple discs. It's called disc spanning.

Watch out when installing. I think it comes bundled with OpenCandy, so it might try to sneak in a toolbar.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 1:59 AM
I'm so confused.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#29 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I'm so confused.

Update WinRAR or use 7-Zip. If you want to split multiple files between discs, use CDBurnerXP's disc spanning.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#30 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 3:23 AM
em...

from RightClick-> 7zip -> Add To Archive
[option window]: split to volumes (lower left side)

there's help file BTW: https://sevenzip.osdn.jp/chm/start.htm

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#31 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 3:26 AM
My WinRAR is updated and why do I need to split files? Is WinRAR dangerous or can I continue using it? I hate change.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#32 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 6:14 AM
There's nothing wrong with WinRAR. You can keep using it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 7:16 AM
Good, then I will! *goes off grumbling about kids on her lawn and new-fangled things*

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#34 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 8:24 AM
My WinRAR is updated and why do I need to split files? Is WinRAR dangerous or can I continue using it? I hate change.

If it's updated, you're fine.

AndrewGloria mentioned wanting to split files between discs when backing up his neighbourhoods. That's why I suggested using disc spanning.

Mad Poster
#35 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 8:38 AM
Good, then I will! *goes off grumbling about kids on her lawn and new-fangled things*

Screenshots
Test Subject
#36 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 7:04 AM
Curious! I have WinRAR expired trial version 4.20. And I've only used simshare and once in a great while mediafire. (No malware thus far.) Anyways. My question is, since my trial is expired and it recommends people to update to the latest WinRAR to be secure. Where would that leave fellow expired users? Like....is it possible to uninstall it, and download the new version but trial/free wise again? Or would that not be able to happen since I already did the trial? :o
Alchemist
#37 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 8:40 AM
I reached a point where I could keep using my trial version of Winrar, but the popups telling me to give them money were really annoying me. I don’t mind paying for a program I find useful, but WinRAR was not that for me, so I switched.

As far as I remember, the expired trial version still worked, it was just annoying. I think I tried to get a new copy, but it would not load as I had already used the trial period.

I do notice lately a number of newer downloads won’t work for people with an outdated unzip utility, so you may run into that if you use an old version. Of any utility.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 26th Mar 2019 at 11:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by FairyLunar
Curious! I have WinRAR expired trial version 4.20. And I've only used simshare and once in a great while mediafire. (No malware thus far.) Anyways. My question is, since my trial is expired and it recommends people to update to the latest WinRAR to be secure. Where would that leave fellow expired users? Like....is it possible to uninstall it, and download the new version but trial/free wise again? Or would that not be able to happen since I already did the trial? :o

If you really want to use the old version, you can just delete unacev2.dll. Should be somewhere under the program directory.

I'll explain this the best I can:

The DLL that allows you to extract ACE files had something called "absolute path traversal," which allows a malicious archive to extract a file anywhere. For instance, putting a malicious executable into the startup folder so that it's launched the next time you start the computer. WinRAR doesn't actually read the file extensions when opening the file, just the "magic bit," so you can rename an ACE file to look like a rar and WinRAR will open it. If you delete unacev2.dll, though, it'll just fail to open. I don't remember the last time I've actually seen a legitimate ACE file out in the wild.

Forum Resident
#39 Old 27th Mar 2019 at 9:10 PM
I find that 7z is so much easier for me to use than WinRAR (Haven't used it in years honestly, but when I did as a teenager I always found it weirdly confusing and restrictive). I've been using 7z for probably a decade or more now and have never had a problem opening or zipping a file for that matter.
Test Subject
#40 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
If you really want to use the old version, you can just delete unacev2.dll. Should be somewhere under the program directory.

I'll explain this the best I can:

The DLL that allows you to extract ACE files had something called "absolute path traversal," which allows a malicious archive to extract a file anywhere. For instance, putting a malicious executable into the startup folder so that it's launched the next time you start the computer. WinRAR doesn't actually read the file extensions when opening the file, just the "magic bit," so you can rename an ACE file to look like a rar and WinRAR will open it. If you delete unacev2.dll, though, it'll just fail to open. I don't remember the last time I've actually seen a legitimate ACE file out in the wild.

Thank you so much! I did just as you said! Very helpful! And ahh I see. Yeah I read up on it too that the ACE is very old, so the likelihood of encountering one is low. However, best to be as safe as you can. :3
Page 2 of 2