Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2019 at 6:04 PM
What details annoy you when it comes to CC?
I know the title doesn't make sense but here's the explanation. I was downloading CC when starting this thread came to my mind after I viewed them in CAS. For example, it annoys me that many newer hairstyles (from about 2014) have a tiny forehead and you have to drag the face slider all the way down to have a huge one for the sim's face to look normal. Or another one, when creators make a mesh that makes a butt or boobs look bigger and a waist smaller and your sim is built differently when wearing that outfit , I'll make my sims curvier if I want to, It makes skinny sims look like they have a tumor butt and normal sims look fat. There are many more things like too small feet that look ridiculous on adult men or floating sims because of the shoes, but i'm interested in your opinion.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th May 2019 at 6:19 PM
Stretched and distorted decals and textures, especially on paintings.

Aspect ratio is important!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th May 2019 at 6:21 PM
The entire style nowadays known as "alpha". Not that I'm the slightest bit original for disliking it.....I'm pretty content with the art style Maxis settled on near the end of TS3 and as far as I'm concerned, there's no need to have anything that doesn't match it. But since the terms "alpha" and "Maxis Match" are more or less a TS4 thing I'm not sure how relevant it really is. I don't enjoy the Maxis Match content for TS4 as much because much like the EA content, it's just a bit low-detail and cartoonish and nasty. But still better than the worthless phototextured garbage you see sometimes....

Thing is, quality matters. I'm active in the modding communities for a number of games and The Sims seems to be the only one where low quality content is tolerated to this extent. This game has a mainstream popularity that none of those others can even come close to but the amount of good CC creators seems all the lower because of it. There is SOME CC for TS3 that's as good as, or better than, EA content, but it's nowhere near the amount you would find for Cities Skylines, Kerbal Space Program, BeamNG-Drive, or Transport Fever. Again, if I had more disposable income I would probably throw it at people until they started making stuff I can actually use, but I don't.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#4 Old 9th May 2019 at 6:23 PM
When hair meshes are waaay too high on the head. Ruins a perfectly good hairstyle
Inventor
#5 Old 9th May 2019 at 6:51 PM
When the creators go too far with how heavy a piece of CC is on the game. Like too much detail, while entirely unneeded. A chain link doesn't need to be meshed to perfection if it's going to affect game play (performance) negatively. I realize that a lot of that CC is meant to make pictures with and not really to play the game, but still. I have a PC with specs that are more than enough, but I still value performance vs. the looks of CC.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th May 2019 at 7:12 PM
[QUOTE=AGuyCalledPi]The entire style nowadays known as "alpha". Not that I'm the slightest bit original for disliking it.....I'm pretty content with the art style Maxis settled on near the end of TS3 and as far as I'm concerned, there's no need to have anything that doesn't match it. But since the terms "alpha" and "Maxis Match" are more or less a TS4 thing I'm not sure how relevant it really is. I don't enjoy the Maxis Match content for TS4 as much because much like the EA content, it's just a bit low-detail and cartoonish and nasty. But still better than the worthless phototextured garbage you see sometimes....

Maxis match and alpha is relevant in other sims games, including 3, it's just less prominent and it isn't so much devided. I myself use alpha cc but my sims look more like graphic drawings, I find it ugly af when some creators literally paste faces on skins with full faced pores, wrinkles, eye bags and more, just drawing it on a tablet looks much better. I can go forever about when bloggers make decent poses but use sims that either look like Kardashians or Kardashians become goth with tattoos type of sims. All in all, I think apha in sims 2 and sims 3 look better than in 4.
Scholar
#7 Old 9th May 2019 at 7:28 PM
As well as the things mentioned in the OP:
  • Clothes that look like crumpled paper
  • Hairs that are too high on the head
  • Hairs that have giant gaps when viewed from the side
  • Bad photoskinning
  • Terrifying ultra realistic skins that go into the uncanny valley
  • The fact that most new TS3 CC is like this now
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th May 2019 at 8:32 PM
As you mentioned with shoes, many of the female adult shoes on tumblr are actually bigger than the default sims shoes, which is pretty much the same situation as you described with the clothes, and that if I want the sims feet bigger, I can download a slider for that. It just overall makes the feet look bigger for only that outfit, which is annoying.

I noticed that I rarely download skirts because they tend to be way more short than appropriate imo.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th May 2019 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nat 619
[*]Bad photoskinning[*]Terrifying ultra realistic skins that go into the uncanny valley[*]The fact that most new TS3 CC is like this now[/list]

Speaking of skins, I love SKechbookpixel's clothes and furniture, but her skins....yieks.

Oh, and can we talk about Chisami's gorgeous clothes with that ugly Bobby TH mesh witch body has a very unrealistic look with very thick thighs while still having a thigh gap, tiny waist and huge saggy boobs, then someone makes gothic sims with that mesh except very thin and pale and it looks even less human. I think I seen it all.
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th May 2019 at 11:32 PM
When creators don't write how many polys their creations have. Even just something like "high poly" helps me figure out if it may crash my game or not lol. And I love it when creators keep the sizes of the packages low, and when tiny details are kept low res like some other people have said.
Scholar
#11 Old 9th May 2019 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grandma_on_a_kiling_spree
Speaking of skins, I love SKechbookpixel's clothes and furniture, but her skins....yieks.

That's exactly who I was thinking of... scary.
Quote: Originally posted by grandma_on_a_kiling_spree
Oh, and can we talk about Chisami's gorgeous clothes with that ugly Bobby TH mesh witch body has a very unrealistic look with very thick thighs while still having a thigh gap, tiny waist and huge saggy boobs, then someone makes gothic sims with that mesh except very thin and pale and it looks even less human. I think I seen it all.

I think I once downloaded one of those tops, especially the boob thing. I can see the need for altered body types (like those that flatten the chest) but top was useless as it looked so out of place.

And some of the things I've seen out of TS4 Patreon... ugh.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 10th May 2019 at 5:42 PM
Let me first stave of complaints: There is nothing wrong, in real life or the Sims, with a teen aged girl wearing a short skirt or tight pants. But not every teen character I make would wear a miniskirt or skinny pants, which makes finding CC clothes for them a chore. Ditto for high heels vs. comfortable shoes.

As for objects, my annoyance is that I try to keep items in line with the EA prices and motive ratings. It's a little annoying to find nice furniture that the price has been knocked down to super low (like a fun 7 t.v. that costs $250).
Mad Poster
#13 Old 10th May 2019 at 6:16 PM
Mom jeans are in, though considering the demographics of the Simming community I'll assume that anything that's currently in can't be hard to find.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th May 2019 at 6:39 PM
Ew. Mom jeans.

I hate when people don't add descriptions and appropriate names for their CC text strings and instead only put only their creator name, site and a stupid object name like "skyrim chair 01 myauthor @payshit.org" Just call it Skyrim Chair and be done with the name. You can put your author deets at the end of the description... It especially is annoying when it's an object conversion from another Sims game. Is it that hard to keep the original description or create a simple funny description for your shit so it gives me something to laugh at like Maxis has/did/does? I can't even recall how many objects I've written descriptions for because the authors are lazy or how many conversions I've had to look up the official descriptions for.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th May 2019 at 10:33 PM
@HarVee
I generally understand your opinion (first i wrote onion, wtf...). I love the edible food and drinks from around the sims, but it looks so odd in game, when the sims' drink/food is named like "ats3 - name set - name object". So I started renaming them... A-L-L of them... it took me days xD for furniture only or decorative things, I don't care. Sometimes I rename them, sometimes not.

But if creators didn't add their name in the description, I have to do it, because once I wanted to remove something from my mods folder, but there was just written "small plant clone" in the description. That did not help at all and I was looking for that damn object for hours xD But I learned from it and now I add the names by myself as soon as the object or whatever is downloaded. It does not take that much time to check if I have to rename something or not.
But to be honest, I am not annoyed or anything by those missing names anymore. I am just thankful now that others put so much effort and time in creating stuff, so I don't have to learn that stuff^^

Some time ago, when I did not know how to use s3pe, I was always pissed when hairs and clothes and objects weren't in the "right" categories. Like... What a beautiful weddingdress... as everyday wear ... wtf?! Or decor shoes as plants... I was so pissed xD I've learned, that some creators choose some unfitting categories so for example the misc decor doesn't get that full. But it annoyed me so much to look for decor shoes in plants xD
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th May 2019 at 11:16 PM
I used to HATE mom jeans until I didn't. They're a bit dorky and a bit quirky. Problem with fashion is that it keeps trickling down to people who don't get it, but loose, high-waisted pants are in for both genders right now and I think it's fun. Doesn't stop me from wearing regular-ass jeans though. Now if only the group of people making trendy CC and the group of people making good CC were one and the same....

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th May 2019 at 11:19 PM
Basically CC that looks like this:
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 10th May 2019 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bubblegumfish

That is terrifying.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 10th May 2019 at 11:43 PM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 10th May 2019 at 11:58 PM.
I agree with Fluse - CC that is not catagorized properly. Pillows in Plants? Come on... And also the clothing, as Fluse said. Beautiful gowns and such should not be for everyday wear. Bathing suits or undies either.

I also have a bit of grief over textures on objects that look weird - although it's mostly found on old cc and it's mostly wood or what should be wood textures. I uninstall that stuff right away - I can't deal with it.

(Those fingernails in the above image....terrible)

I'd rather have my sims wear "mom" jeans then the torn up ones. I've not found a decent pair of jeans anywhere. Just some basic levi type jeans would be so awesome. Not low cut, not high waisted, no rolled up hems at the ankles, no rips, no tears, no decals - and - please - make the back pockets actually fit on the rear and add a bit of a flair to the bottom of the leg. I don't mind the skinny jeans but the pant legs always seem too short.

I feel bad complaining...but you asked
Field Researcher
#20 Old 11th May 2019 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bubblegumfish

Ahaha, is it just me that can't tell which sim game that stuff is from? It could be sims 3 or sims 4, I honestly cannot tell eheh.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 11th May 2019 at 3:11 AM Last edited by Pary : 11th May 2019 at 5:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nat 619
As well as the things mentioned in the OP:
  • Clothes that look like crumpled paper
  • Hairs that are too high on the head
  • Hairs that have giant gaps when viewed from the side
  • Bad photoskinning
  • Terrifying ultra realistic skins that go into the uncanny valley
  • The fact that most new TS3 CC is like this now

All of this.
Also male hair that doesn't look like it came from some stupid anime, or as if the guy shoved his finger into an electric power point. Why doesn't anyone ever really seem to make just a really nice everyday short male style?

I also hate stretched textures.

I really do appreciate the amount of effort that goes into creating content, because it can be a lengthy process.
But sometimes it just seems like creators sometimes say, "aww bugger it, that will do" and just leave gaps in meshes, or textures or mapping that are really poor. Sometimes it can ruin a nice piece of work.

Edit - I would really love just a few decent pairs of bootcut jeans for my sims. Plain and ripped, I love both. I utterly despise skinny jeans.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th May 2019 at 3:19 AM
I feel like I'd be quite good at making CC if the game didn't fuck me over at every step. I can do frankenmeshes, new meshes, mesh edits, texture edits with speculars, normals and masks and everything.....but I can't do the simplest thing without something breaking. Edited a skirt suit for my episode recently.....airbrushed out a few details off the texture maps and tweaked the shoulders and the lapels a bit on the mesh.....simple stuff, but now the whole thing's shaded wrong. The new PC mesh I added into the game, it disappears when a Sim uses it. The cars all lose their UV maps when you reload the game, and that one painting I made 5 years ago that I've ended up using quite a lot recently, it's never even acknowledged the new texture files I threw at it back then! Combine that with the fact that my Blender tools won't work on any version of Blender, that my CAW crashes on launch, and that my Reshade offs itself every few months, and it's no goddamn mystery why it takes me so long to make anything with this dumb game.

insert signature here
Theorist
#23 Old 11th May 2019 at 3:31 AM Last edited by tizerist : 23rd May 2019 at 11:33 PM.
When it’s placed into debug > misc. How the hell am I gonna find it in there bruh.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 11th May 2019 at 11:30 AM
The point is... most people who create, do it mainly for their own game (which is totally fine^^). And they are kind enough to share it with us untalented bastards without taking money^^ So I feel a bit... arrogant to complain about wrong categorizing or missing descriptions. And some of you do, too.
Another point is though, if the object/cas item looks totally different in game than in the shown pictures. And not because of lighting mods/reshaders, but I often had problems with broken textures or flickering plants. And in my opinion that's really annoying, especially if you installed it through the launcher (which I don't do anymore).
Another thing is, some hair styles - mostly hair which goes over the breast - look horrible, because it should lay ON the breast, but it's miles away from the sims body so it's floating in the air, you know what I mean?^^ When I first saw that in game i was scared xD

And... can anybody explain to me what "mom jeans" are, please?^^
Scholar
#25 Old 11th May 2019 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eronel
When hair meshes are waaay too high on the head. Ruins a perfectly good hairstyle

Agreed. I've seen some hairstyles that are pretty neat, but they are so high up, it looks like the wig is constantly flying off...

I tend to avoid that type of CC, but some neat CC outfits that are maternity enabled, but do not have the pregnancy bump. Your third-day pregnant Sim switches to a formal outfit and, boom, baby bump is instantly gone.

I completely forgot! Yes, clothes being in weird categories. A bathing suit as every day, sleepwear, and athletic wear? Or a tight denim overall being sleepwear? Unless you are trying to circumvent the 'sims with insane trait wear weird clothes' thing, I see no point in putting such clothes in these categories. I have had to use S3OC to 'fix' CC clothes that way a few times now.
Page 1 of 3