Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2019 at 2:50 AM
Default Functional Town Hall
Have any of you guys ever made a town hall for your hood that wasn't just decorative?
I like the look of this one https://modthesims.info/d/315313/town-hall/ except there's no reason my Sims would visit it because there's nothing to do there.
My goal is to create a town hall that has town hall "themed" things that would give my sims a purpose to travel to it. The mayor of my town would be the owner of the lot.

Here are some of my ideas:
-A library of "town records," which would allow Sims to study and use computers (I have the skilling on community lots mod)
-A private office for the mayor (aka gives the lot owner space to relax from the visitors)
-An office with the deeds to other community lots for sale. However, I'm not fond of this idea because it requires the mayor being wealthy enough to own all of the community lots in the first place and seems like a hassle.
-As the seasons go on, I could update it for seasonal activities (Christmas, New Years, and host events like cooking contests, weddings, and proms). Not entirely sure how that would work on a community lot, but I think there's a "party on community lots" mod somewhere.
-If I'm that desperate, I could make a "food court" restaurant or put some outdoor things in the surrounding outside area.

My only solid idea really is the library.. I would love to hear more ideas of what I could provide for my sims in a town hall! Either cool objects to add or things to sell.
Thanks
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th May 2019 at 2:54 AM
I have a courthouse and a wedding area in mine as well as the local newspaper.

My courthouse is PC sims items, the wedding area is CH wedding mat and the newspaper office I have my journalist come in and write an article and print some papers. He is employed by the mayor and the town hall is owned by the mayor.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#3 Old 13th May 2019 at 3:46 AM
Hm. Here are some ideas based on small-town city halls and courthouses in my neck of the woods. (When a person travels into rural areas things get a little odd.) Maybe you could have a courtroom there along with a jail cell or two. Maybe for things to sell put in some of Marylou & Numenor's postcard stands? I like your ideas.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 13th May 2019 at 4:45 AM
Most Town Halls have a trove of historical artifacts strewn about the place... Like a "mini-museum" of stuff from the town. Maybe a few paintings from a famous artist who was born and raised there? Maybe some honorary statues for the town founder or a great former mayor or a war hero? Historical artifacts for visitors to see... I live near the Capitol, so maybe town halls aren't as well-decorated frankly, there's no purpose to ever visit the Town Hall in my town, so the deco ones would suffice. But not all towns are as useless as ours. haha. Hope that helps a little.

-grinEvilly
>=)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th May 2019 at 7:15 AM
My town hall is used for ''official functions''
So I have the buffet table, a stage with musical instruments, some of the career rewards (the business podium thing is especially handy for my mayor to make a speech).
Of course there is a bar!
Being a town hall, there is 4 computers in the office as well as a reading room and - for tired sims - the essential espresso machine.

(I think I will add a collection of art. Sounds quite suitable to me )
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th May 2019 at 12:30 PM
I like your ideas. Some people have "social services," unemployment, child support, taxes... I can imagine those being there, too.
Theorist
#7 Old 13th May 2019 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
Most Town Halls have a trove of historical artifacts strewn about the place... Like a "mini-museum" of stuff from the town. Maybe a few paintings from a famous artist who was born and raised there? Maybe some honorary statues for the town founder or a great former mayor or a war hero? Historical artifacts for visitors to see... I live near the Capitol, so maybe town halls aren't as well-decorated frankly, there's no purpose to ever visit the Town Hall in my town, so the deco ones would suffice. But not all towns are as useless as ours. haha. Hope that helps a little.

-grinEvilly
>=)

Yeah, you get into some towns and run into things a person from somewhere else would think are pretty strange. Our actual City Hall used to also house our DMV and a satellite office for the county police before they needed a new building for some of those things. Now at City Hall there's the mayor's office (this is a part-time position, the mayor also holds down a full-time job elsewhere) and people still go there to pay their water bill but the police office and DMV have moved to another nearby building.

Our biggest county building is what we call the courthouse. Here are our recorder's and tax offices, courtrooms, jail, etc. There's a small museum nearby and also a small airstrip across the highway. This is a blink and you'll miss it kind of place intentionally situated to be central to the whole county.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 13th May 2019 at 5:16 PM
In mine I usually do name changes, 'quickie weddings' - where the couple uses the 'get married' interaction - so no arch, just a few witnesses, and then they can rent an adjacent reception hall there if they like. I also do school field trips there for the kiddies, and my political sims campaign there by giving speeches and throwing parties for the city elite. I have the mayors office, but I also have a system of government employees who have particular functions (owning certain lots, inspecting schools etc.) and they have offices there too.

I typically make it residential as well for the ease of throwing parties and to avoid having complaining customers and the random 'for sale' box at the top, but if I were to play it as a community lot, I'd put a gift shop in there too, and sell city flags. Doesn't hurt to include a cafe either so that sims can eat while they tour the place. And I'd also include awards, and objects belonging to prominent political sims who have municipal buildings named after them. That's something I like to do to help with coming up with names and generally just to give the hood a more lived in feeling.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#9 Old 14th May 2019 at 2:02 AM
@joandsarah77 Hi, about your court house I have a download from Jessica gifts from a long time ago ( I never use it but save it. )
The package have Attorney Stand, Judge Stand, and Judge accessories, and witness Stand.
If I was to build a court house or find one I could download. How does this whole package together work ? Are the Sims already in their set places in the court room ? Please tell me how your court work, or what I will expect to happen if I use the packages. As always I take most of my ideas from you and what you have in your game. COPY CAT yes I am lmao

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th May 2019 at 2:30 AM
I need to try it out again, I haven't used it except to test it when I first got the set over a year ago! Pretty much because I need sims in those career slots (I need a judge) and all I have now is one lawyer on his way up, maybe soon though. I play very slowly. But no the set does not contain an NPC, you have your own sims use them. They look just like furniture and you click on them. I've been troubleshooting and sorting CC lately and not playing but today I am planning on playing once I close BodyShop. I will take my mayor over to look at the set again since he owns town hall.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th May 2019 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@joandsarah77 Hi, about your court house I have a download from Jessica gifts from a long time ago ( I never use it but save it. )
The package have Attorney Stand, Judge Stand, and Judge accessories, and witness Stand.
If I was to build a court house or find one I could download. How does this whole package together work ? Are the Sims already in their set places in the court room ? Please tell me how your court work, or what I will expect to happen if I use the packages. As always I take most of my ideas from you and what you have in your game. COPY CAT yes I am lmao

I've played with that set before, but it was very wonky to work with.It consists mostly of a set of furniture-the judge's table, attorney table, a few other things like a 'law typwriter'. There aren't any pixels attached to any of them-it's merely for you to playact a court room setting using your own bunch of lawless loungers..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 14th May 2019 at 4:48 AM
One thing for sure is that I will need more room.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#13 Old 15th May 2019 at 12:58 AM
@joandsarah77 Ok thanks for your reply your picture of your mayor is funny.

@FranH Thanks you, this is the answer I was wondering about, if it was setup where sims would already be at their stations.
Yes I look at the package it is just furnitures, I was hoping it would be a setup like PCSims banking mod that have the tellers already in place.
I think I will pass on this but will keep package for hard times.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th May 2019 at 3:53 AM
Do y'all have any idea where that courthouse set is available at, if it is? Something that doesn't come with NPCs sounds really useful to me!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#15 Old 15th May 2019 at 5:15 AM
@Sunbee, the Jessa Channel uploaded it in an archive here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr598SsBjYQ; I was actually talking about these PC Sims items the other day in this post; basically:

Anyway, what do you know, I'm in the middle of building a town hall, too! Great minds must think alike, @BeckyBoo8. It's just a shell at the moment, because I started it a few weeks ago then got distracted by one thing or another, but I've got some pictures to share if you're interested. Like you I was searching for things to put in the building to make it practical and settled on a lot of the same things simmers mentioned here.

I decided that I did not want to sell anything on the lot or have sims work there--just a personal gameplay preference, I guess. I don't want the mayor hanging around when sims visit the lot and though I thought about putting the architecture and newspaper offices in there, I ultimately decided I don't really want offices in it. So my town hall will be a community lot building where sims can go and use services and no one has to own it. I decided that I will have a separate licensing and real estate office where either the mayor or a placeholder will sell those. I don't think I'll have every lot in the hood for sale there, but instead I'll just have commercial lots for sale. Anyone looking to start a business or build a comm lot will have to buy land there. It might be cumbersome to make my sims go to a separate lot to buy any licenses, but eh, sometimes government is inefficient like that. I might set up an office for the tax collector there, too; and sims can go there to pay their taxes.

Anyway, for the town hall, I think I settled on a press room, court room, records office, social services office, test taking room, and a judge office where marriages take place. I do want to have a ball room to throw town functions and parties in, but I decided to have that on a separate lot because party items can take up quite a bit of space. Plus, then rich sims can rent out the space for parties. Anywho, there will also be a cafe in the town hall, too, along with a small souvenir shop/post office where postcards are for sale and there there will be a PC Sims parcel service register and mail box so sims can send packages. The PC Sims register calls a regular cashier to run it and the postcards can be sold on community lots, so I don't have to set up cashiers and what not on this lot.

As for the other rooms; the press room is for the mayor to give speeches in and should provide some nice background for pictures, when I'm in the mood to take some. The court room will have tables for the prosecutor and the defense, some benches, and the judges podium from PC Sims. I don't really want witnesses to get paid, so I'm thinking I'll just use the judge podium in the court room and save the attorney table for lawyers' offices. The records office will mostly be a deco office/paper storage type of room with a few mods, namely Phaenoh's phone book and Azelanne's Coworkers' Phone Book right now. Maybe the sim manipulator, too; there's a census feature on it. Anyway there sims can look up people they don't know, like the tax collector and any other placeholders I make. The social services office will have the social security table and MogHughson's job board. Finally, the test taking room is an idea I'm fiddling with. I'd like to try and make a mod where sims can take a test (i.e., scribble on an assignment for a little while), after which a pop up spawns and says whether the sim passed or not. Using such a mod I can simulate exams for driver's licenses, or the police academy, and the plan is for sims to go to the town hall to take the test. But I'm still new to making things, so this may take some time.

Hmm, I guess I should have a mayor's office, too. But maybe I'll build a mayor's mansion as a community lot that has the mayor's office and the ball room? I guess I'll decide once I figure what my mayor should be doing every day, besides campaigning and fundraising for the town. Anyway I hope I gave you ideas of the types of stuff you can put in each area of the town hall.
Screenshots

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Meet Me In My Next Life
#16 Old 16th May 2019 at 1:56 AM Last edited by Simonut : 16th May 2019 at 4:41 AM.
I just found this "Wonderful Civic Courthouse" I just downloaded to have a look, and the creator "dacycko"
did an excellent job building this and it's furniture with exactly what you need a really nice setup.
And it's only a 2x4 in size I love it, plus it save me from trying to make one, I rarely download lots.

NOTE:Just so you know you may have to removed one of the window upper front and upper back and replace using just One and move it to the center. ( in my game the two window glass was not showing just the frame was there. ) Other than that which is no big deal all is great it even have a rest room.
So for anyone who may be interest here the link https://modthesims.info/d/290374/civic-courthouse.html

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 16th May 2019 at 2:14 AM
@Simonut anytime a window or door just shows a frame try reloading the lot. It's because they are placed with moveobjects on.

~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#18 Old 16th May 2019 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Simonut anytime a window or door just shows a frame try reloading the lot. It's because they are placed with moveobjects on.

@joandsarah77 Yes Thank you I try that it did not work, using moveobjects on sometime will fade the window out. The only thing beside just using the one upper window.
I notice the rest room was made for male Sims I did a small bit of fixing so female Sims can use it too. I don't think they both sexes will enter the restroom with toilets side by side.
Anyway it was not much to do there dacycko did a great job,and it's small. but really so nice.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th May 2019 at 5:20 AM
@Phantomknight thanks for trying, but I can't find anything but a video at that link.

Me and youtube don't get along very well, I'm afraid!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th May 2019 at 5:31 AM
@Sunbee Go to the video and underneath you will find 'show more' click that, the links to the CC is hiding under there. Box or MediaFire.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#21 Old 16th May 2019 at 6:30 AM
Jo is right, Sunbee; the file link is in the video description.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#22 Old 16th May 2019 at 5:04 PM
If anyone is interested I do have a nice painting that would suit this sort of lot. The first one you place will portray an image of the neighbourhood's most senior citizen, the second one will portray the neighbourhood's most popular citizen and the third one will portray the most affluent citizen. Any more than three and it will cycle through the same again. It only tests for playable sims and for the most affluent the sim must live in a residential lot since sims in apartments or dorms don't own the lot.
The image here shows on the left how it looks before initializing (how it looks in the catalogue), on the right is after initializing.
It's in the wall hangings catalogue for §520.
CJH_FamePainting.zip (32.7 kB)
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th May 2019 at 5:45 PM
I like this painting a lot
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 16th May 2019 at 11:25 PM
Thanks Chris, cool idea. :D

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#25 Old 17th May 2019 at 2:07 AM
Awesome Chris! I snagged that!
Page 1 of 2