Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 9:12 PM Last edited by vegan_kaktus : 31st Jul 2019 at 9:22 PM.
Default Two ideas - are they too difficult to create for a complete beginner?
I have been delivering newspaper for about a month now, and today I saw a man walk with his dog to the mailbox where he picked up the newspaper, gave it to the dog which then ran back to the house (with the newspaper in its mouth). This was so damn cute and got me thinking about the possibilities of creating this for ts2. While I know nothing about modding/tweaking (literally all I know in SimPE is how to recolor and create default replacements) this made me want to learn. I know animations is a hassle, but I actually think this interaction could be based on only EA-stuff. Here's how I picture it:

"Take in the newspaper" could be the interaction's name and it would work like fetch, but instead of fetching a stick the sim throws, the dog fetches the newspaper (if there is one on the lot). After picking up the newspaper, the dog returns to the sim (who is standing and waiting for the dog) and then the sim takes the newspaper from the dogs mouth *here the interaction ends*. After that, the sim puts down the newspaper on a table/counter (or the floor if there is no empty slot).

All of the above would use EA-animations (which could look weird since the sim will grab a "stick", but that's fine for me), the only *new* thing (I think?) would be to make the newspaper move into the dog's mouth (which I have no bloody idea if it's even possible, but seeing how a stick can do it - why not a newspaper?)

The second idea I have and want to create is a new NPC (I know I know, NPC's can corrupt the neighborhood if deleted etc) - an NPC who comes in a truck (like the delivery truck but with a different texture) and collects the trash from the outdoor trash bin. Like my first idea, this too, can(?) be created using only EA-animations and meshes. Here's how I picture the interaction:

The NPC comes once a week in a re-textured truck, gets out of the car, picks up a garbage bag from the outdoor trash bin, goes to the back of the truck and (using the same animation delivery sims use when picking up the grocery basket, but in a reverse - if possible?) puts down the trash bag there. After that, the sim hops in the car and drives off.

Now, as I said before, I have never ever modded anything for any game before - at all. So my question to you all amazing modders reading this, would it be too complicated/hard for me to do this? Is it even possible? Since everything uses EA-stuff I thought it would be easier since the mod will just be using animations available in-game, but maybe that's not the case at all? What do you all think?

I apologize for the confusing post and my horrible english, I blame it on the cookies I ate lol
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 9:59 PM
I don't think an actual mod like this would be a good beginner project if you are not already a bit familiar with editing BHAVs and how to manipulate ingame animations plus object accessories and such. You could maybe start with doing a default replacement of the stick - that wouldn't be as hard if you have a rolled up newspaper mesh and texture to work with, or want to learn how to make them. Technically wouldn't be quite what you are after, but you may still need that meshand texture to work with if you carry on with the idea, so you could learn a thing or two in SimPE, possibly also a meshing program.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 11:41 PM Last edited by vegan_kaktus : 1st Aug 2019 at 4:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I don't think an actual mod like this would be a good beginner project if you are not already a bit familiar with editing BHAVs and how to manipulate ingame animations plus object accessories and such. You could maybe start with doing a default replacement of the stick - that wouldn't be as hard if you have a rolled up newspaper mesh and texture to work with, or want to learn how to make them. Technically wouldn't be quite what you are after, but you may still need that meshand texture to work with if you carry on with the idea, so you could learn a thing or two in SimPE, possibly also a meshing program.

Yeah, that could be a start! BHAV’s I have no idea how they work, so yeah, I should probably learn the basics first! But now that I got the motivation - hopefully I’ll succeed some day in the future lol!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 7:35 AM
There are a lot of tutorials you can take a look at here on MTS, so you may want to look around a bit. Some people think making mods is easier than making other things for the game. Personally I don't think that (I mostly make funiture and CAS content, but have done a bit of simple-ish BHAVs and such for objects and poseboxes, though it took me a while to get there), but it depends on what you get most comfortable with, and what you are willing to sit down and learn. Tutorials, creativity and a bit of patience can get you pretty far.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 8:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There are a lot of tutorials you can take a look at here on MTS, so you may want to look around a bit. Some people think making mods is easier than making other things for the game. Personally I don't think that (I mostly make funiture and CAS content, but have done a bit of simple-ish BHAVs and such for objects and poseboxes, though it took me a while to get there), but it depends on what you get most comfortable with, and what you are willing to sit down and learn. Tutorials, creativity and a bit of patience can get you pretty far.

I’ll take a look at those! Thank you for the help :-) BHAV’s scare me (like meshing) but hopefully I can become a little bit less intimidated after learning a thing or two.
Alchemist
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 5:43 PM
Here's a couple links to good beginner tutorials http://www.eternal-echo.net/sims/tu...s/interactions/ and http://www.eternal-echo.net/sims/tu...ions2/index.php (the one in the second link builds on the skills you learn in the first link).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Here's a couple links to good beginner tutorials http://www.eternal-echo.net/sims/tu...s/interactions/ and http://www.eternal-echo.net/sims/tu...ions2/index.php (the one in the second link builds on the skills you learn in the first link).

Thank you! I'll take a look at them :-D